Matthew Lowton

Qwpzxjor1

Lawton is awful. Then again I wouldn't back a decent right back to defend against balls that are played from the opposition left back under no pressure. The formation we started with today was diabolical and should have been changed in the first five minutes.

Lawton is awful. Then again I wouldn't back a decent right back to defend against balls that are played from the opposition left back under no pressure. The formation we started with today was diabolical and should have been changed in the first five minutes.

Definitely meant to say Lowton.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2014/02/18/aston-villa-boss-paul-lambert-denies-rift-talk/

The claret and blue chief insisted Lowton’s most recent omission was purely tactical and not because of a problem between the pair. He left Lowton out of the squad for the 0-0 draw at Cardiff last week, the second time in a month he had been axed.

There's a lot of smoke around lately isn't there?

It's wierd because I remember him being pretty solid for the most part defensively last year. Not the quickest for sure but I remember him being snappy in the tackle in a way which reminded me of Mr Delaney.

There were a few occassions last year when he made mistakes, the whole defense made sure they gave away a goal at least twice a game last year but in general Lowton was decent.

This year he seems to have lost all confidence defending, not knowing when to dive in or when to back off. Still decent going forward.

Bacuna for example is just guessing at where he should be standing most of the time but is still streets ahead of him defensively because he is quick, strong and can tackle.

Not sure I'd bomb squad him just throw him on the (ever increasing) pile of youngsters with talent who may or may not turn into decent players.

• Like 1

Lowton certainly had a few good games last season, especially the Sunderland game, but none of these were because of his defensive prowess. He was being caught out of position consistently and couldn't recover due to his lack of pace. Basically, IMO defensively he's been exactly the same this season - well below average. His strength last season were games where he was good going forward and providing crosses and the much needed width in general that we've lacked this season. 

Besides, he's not good enough to afford having off the field issues. 

Definitely prefer Bacuna at RB until the end of the season, and hopefully a new RB in the summer. 

I think last season his attacking ability covered over the cracks defensively. Last season he would defend by reading the play and intercepting the ball and counter attacking before the winger had a chance to control the ball. This season he's been nowhere near as effective going forward and it has shown up what he lacks defensively.

I like him and think he could be a good RB as long as he got his head down and worked on his defensive qualities, but he has seemingly done something to piss off Lambert and looks like he could be gone in the summer, shame.

Even if he stays, we need a new RB in the summer, I think Lowton has rested on his laurels this season as he is the only natural RB in the squad, he needs someone to challenge him and keep him on his toes.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I have absolutely no idea of the facts of the situation, and neither does anybody else on here to my knowledge. So to start calling him silly and stupid is exactly that. 

I've heard that he was late to training once and that's why he was left out of the squad against Liverpool (I think). The reason was apparently that there was traffic. Yes, maybe Lambert wants him to relocate but you have to think about why he doesn't want to move down south. Something pretty important must be stopping him. Maybe it's his kids or his girlfriend, or he has family duties up there?

Â