General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sky Sports understands Aston Villa have made a bid for Middlesbrough's Joe Bennett.

The 22-year-old is a graduate of Boro's famed academy and has made over 90 appearances for the club since his debut in 2009.

He has emerged as the club's first choice left back and is part of the England Under-21 set-up.

A number of clubs have been tracking his progress in recent months and now after failing to prise Aaron Cresswell away from Ipswich Town, Villa boss Paul Lambert has turned his attention to Bennett.

Bennett has not played this season due to injury but he is on the brink of returning and was set to be involved again this week.

However, Villa have now made a bid and are hopeful of completing a deal with Boro - who have been using summer signing George Friend at left-back during their opening matches of the season.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/8028225/Villa-make-move-for-Bennett

How come ...

Downing, after a player of the season year decides he wants off and he's a gobshite/judas/turncoat/satan etc etc

Milner, after turning him into a fantastic England player and midfield general buggers off at the first flash of Man City's knickers and he's still fine and some folks would have him back tomorrow ?

The pair of them pissed me off royally, Milner more so in some respects as he always played the 'down to earth only in it for the football' card (well we've seen how true that is since)

But BOTH would walk into our team with one leg (no Downing pun there) and improve it immensely

I can only really see us bringing in a ST and a LB (Benteke and Bennett?) this window.

I would like us, at some point, to bring in an experienced Premier League central midfielder to play next to KEA.

I've had a look through the central midfielders in the league that would add experience, be within our price range and would have the slightest-possibility of leaving their respectives clubs in the next window or two and here's the list I've come up with:

Nolan

Diaby

Carrick

Mulumbu

Anderson

Palacios

Adam

Huddlestone

Some are far-fetched, I know.

Some are also pretty poor (Palacios/ Nolan)!

Re Joe Bennett - he tweeted earlier 'been a stressful day'

Wonder if that's a reference to making a decision of leaving his home team for us?

EDIT** He was born and raised in Rochdale (poor lad) but came through the Boro' Academy.

How come ...

Downing, after a player of the season year decides he wants off and he's a gobshite/judas/turncoat/satan etc etc

Milner, after turning him into a fantastic England player and midfield general buggers off at the first flash of Man City's knickers and he's still fine and some folks would have him back tomorrow ?

The pair of them pissed me off royally, Milner more so in some respects as he always played the 'down to earth only in it for the football' card (well we've seen how true that is since)

But BOTH would walk into our team with one leg (no Downing pun there) and improve it immensely

I think it's because Milner did what anyone would do, go to a side capable of challenging (successfully) for silverware whilst getting a huge payrise. He also gave everything for Villa in both his spells whilst leaving us with a nice transfer fee.

Downing on the other perhaps owed us one at least one more season after we took him on with a broken leg. Add to that the infamous photo and doing a u-turn on his previous comments about staying at the club, plus he was a pussy in the challenges, overshadow his excellent form and the money we got for him.

People just took to Milner and he was justified in making his move. Downing is now looking a little red faced, but I'd still have him back here cos he's a fine player and would improve the service to Bent massively.

Re Joe Bennett - he tweeted earlier 'been a stressful day'

Wonder if that's a reference to making a decision of leaving his home team for us?

Poor guy i can see why the stress is getting to him it cant be an easy decision

commando-bennett.jpg