General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

KEA isn't a playmaker.

You've said this before, but i dont agree, i think he could be a very good playmaker if pushed further up the pitch.

I wouldn't rule out that theory, but it is nevertheless a theory, he wasn't deployed as a playmaker at Feyenoord was he so it's difficult to say whether he'd do well there or not.

I see him as a water-carrier type, at Feyenoord he was used more defensively, I think some are clutching at straws by suggesting he'd do well in a more advanced attacking role.

I agree. I was surprised to see so many people calling for a DM to aprtner KEA, when I saw it as quite the opposite. He's the deep lying CM and he needs someone alongside him who can plug the gap between attack and midfield.

Against Everton both he and Bannan were sitting deeper and so we ended up with that ring of terror (as I've named it) that we saw a lot last season too. i.e.

-----------CM----CM

RM----------------------------LM

------------CF-----CF

And we have that gaping hol ebetween attack and midfield that we never seem to plug. The wingers have no-one to pass inside to if they can't whip a ball into the box, and the strikers have no support because the opposition can easily mark both our strikers with no fear of anyone from our midfield causing them problems.

If we're to play 4-4-2, then we don't need a DM, we need a creative midfielder to play alongside KEA, with him doing the leg work.

I would admit that if we went with a 3 man central midfield then another DM could be an option.

I completely agree, he's a Petrov-type although I think he'll ultimately prove to be superior to Petrov as he moves the ball quicker and has more of a forward pass in him.

In a 4-4-2 KEA and DM will not have much creativity from the centre, so we'd need some pretty special wingers to compensate for that.

In a midfield 3 or the system Lambert used against West Ham, you could then make a case for signing a DM to play with KEA, although I thought KEA and Delph looked pretty good together.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always thought our best formation was the one Martin O'Neill used at the start of his reign 4-3-3 (luke moore, angel, agbonalhor) up front then reverted back to 4-4-2 for some reason although it was effective.

Attacking but yet defensively strong also...

Ireland KEA Herd

N'zog Bent Gabby

Twitter is v.annoying during transfer time. The fake ITK accounts are one thing but some of the people as well. Who on earth is this Julie Bayley character, must unfollow her because I swear everything she has heard from 'whispers' and her 'HP sauces' has been a load of **** bollocks and I am fed up of seeing her pop up on my timeline. Whittingham never did join....

Just be grateful this thread - despite any vexatious stuff here - is no longer being spam saturated by the wannabe ITK twitter bollocks.

It was **** relentless and desperate, attention-seeking shite. It was like watching the plain fat bird at a party getting louder and drunker as her attempts to score a **** for the night foundered on the rocks time and again. Then she gets sick on herself, falls over crying then gets sent home in a taxi and people sigh with relief.

It was about as attention seeking as what you are doing now, being blatantly rude to people that were posting speculation from twitter in a speculation thread! (fancy that)

It was far more intersting to read than your analogy of a fat bird.

Twitter is v.annoying during transfer time. The fake ITK accounts are one thing but some of the people as well. Who on earth is this Julie Bayley character, must unfollow her because I swear everything she has heard from 'whispers' and her 'HP sauces' has been a load of **** bollocks and I am fed up of seeing her pop up on my timeline. Whittingham never did join....

Follow people you like and who's information you trust.

Don't follow people who you don't. It's really not that difficult.

Yeah, don't get the fixation with 4-4-2. Whenever we don't play it people always moan and say "we're only playing one up front" as if to imply that you can only be attacking with 4-4-2.

I agree totally.

And for clarification my previous post was based on what I saw against Everton. I was away for our first game so don't really have any idea of how we set up or played.

I would say though, that if we played 3 in the middle I'd still see an attacking CM as a priority over a DM, even though signing another DM would be a viable option.

Always thought our best formation was the one Martin O'Neill used at the start of his reign 4-3-3 (luke moore, angel, agbonalhor) up front then reverted back to 4-4-2 for some reason although it was effective.

Ireland KEA Herd

N'zog Bent Gabby

The problem with that formation is that the full backs are completely exposed, we do not have the full backs in place for the system either going forward or defensively. If you are suggesting a 4-5-1 in which case it could work, however I would be very much against that set up, mainly as Gabby is not a winger as he can't cross the road not to mind a football.

As it stands there is no point selecting Darren Bent. Until we get someone who is willing to cross the frigging ball for him then we cannot make use of our most expensive ever signing.

If we are looking at signing a target man then there's no point picking Bent. He can't work in a 4-4-2. He works up top on his own. This however means playing with wide players AND having midfield runners joining the attack. I actually think that where we are now Bent is a luxury item. I'd reluctantly sell him and get a proper strike partnership in that means that we play a more balanced team. In a 4-4-2 that isn't Darren Bent. Spurs and Sunderland found that out, and at Charlton they played with him up top and relied with balls over the top with supporting players with good engines. A problem in this current Villa squad.

Ireland KEA Herd

N'zog Bent Gabby

The problem with that formation is that the full backs are completely exposed, we do not have the full backs in place for the system either going forward or defensively. If you are suggesting a 4-5-1 in which case it could work, however I would be very much against that set up, mainly as Gabby is not a winger as he can't cross the road not to mind a football.

Yeah your right but looking at our team doesnt matter if its 442, 451, 433, no formation is suitable for us its either our defence that is too weak for that formation, the full backs are not good enough for it, midfield is too weak, we are not attacking enough...blah, blah

Lets face it we are an absolute disgrace of a team, worst villa team since the Kinsella, Eirik Bakke days although Id say that was better.

Lets be honest even fu**ing Wigan are a better team and have better players then us. We are a shower of shite, and the youngsters (who are bloody 22-23 years old now) who we thought would develop by now are all complete wasters. We are **** quite frankly. We need 5-6 new players, good players not championship potential, but it aint happening...people happy with NZonzi, Olsson, etc shows how far we have dropped. Only reading, norwich and maybe southampton have worse or the equilvant team as ours.

If we are looking to play a passing game where we pass to feet then I think Bent is probably never going to be any good for us again. He was useless at Spurs because they play precisely that way which is why they sold him. He is good when the ball is lobbed up for him to chase. A 'ball over his shoulder' type striker. He is suited to a Martin O'Neill-type side. Hopefully he can change his game to fit into our new ethos, but history tells us he has been 'here' before and he didn't fit in.

Dont know why you would abuse her when she doesnt post here anymore. Just unfollow her. She is just enjoying all the gossip and the fun that comes with the transfer window. Either learn to enjoy it, unfollow or dont bother commenting on it. Its not the biggest deal in the world to talk about transfer rumours. People here some information and want to share it. Like plenty of transfers they may or may not happen in the end.

If we are looking to play a passing game where we pass to feet then I think Bent is probably never going to be any good for us again. He was useless at Spurs because they play precisely that way which is why they sold him. He is good when the ball is lobbed up for him to chase. A 'ball over his shoulder' type striker. He is suited to a Martin O'Neill-type side. Hopefully he can change his game to fit into our new ethos, but history tells us he has been 'here' before and he didn't fit in.

Think if we can get the midfield and a link player doing that job then he will be fine and score goals. If he can score 9 goals in an Alex McLeish side he will be fine.