General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep reading buying players like fletcher and Johnson got us into this mess. Surely it was having no plan, and no consideration for future income while allowing big wages for the majority of the squad.

Buying a couple of quality players wouldn't put us in a mess.

Must say the transfer market is way overpriced at the moment.Jarvis 10 mill,Steven Fletcher 10 to 15 mill,Johnson 10 mill.Way overpriced and not worth it.Players from the United Kingdom way overated.Have a look at us Delph 8 mill,NRC 8.5 mill,Davies 8 mill and Bent 24 mill.

So with Gardner getting injured and Makoun inevitably on his way out very soon, it would be very wise to get another midfielder in. Perosnally, I think we should look to the Bundesliga and make a bid for that Aaron Hunt lad from Werder Bremen. He looked very tidy when we played them and moved the ball extremely well in the final third, which is something we could desperately use! In terms of LBs as well, an amazing and young attacking LB talent could be had in Fabian Johnson from Hoffenheim.

A. Johnson to Sunderland is a done deal apparently.. I know a few people on here wanted him well he has gone there now.
Que mass VT suicide. He's a good player, but VT seems to have an unhealthy obsession with getting him here.

I agree with the number of people saying he is a good player. But he is a MOTD player. Will do a few good crosses but then lose the ball to easily other times.

Much like SWP in that way. Can turn a game on its head but not every single game. Maybe 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 games. I would rather have someone less flashy that can do something in every game he plays.

SWP is a good comparison, and in fact their careers have followed very similar trajectories - make their name at middling PL club (Man City, as they were/Middlesbrough), step up to new money club at about 22/23 (Chelsea/Man City) get into England setup but never establish themselves as first choice with their club, after 3 yrs of being in/out of team move back home age 25/26 (SWP directly back to Man City/Johnson back to the NE, maybe would've been Boro if they were still around).

Now the point here is: what did SWP do after Chelsea? Hung around at City bench for a few years, now he's doing very little at QPR. Obviously this does not mean Johnson will follow same path - he is a bit younger & maybe less reliant on pace as SWP is - but we certainly wouldn't regret missing out on post-Chelsea SWP, and I think it might well end up similar here.

Talented player but inconsistent & frustrating with it. Not really what we need when we already have N'Zogbia & Ireland for that particular role :winkold:

I keep reading buying players like fletcher and Johnson got us into this mess. Surely it was having no plan, and no consideration for future income while allowing big wages for the majority of the squad.

This.

I don't object to us buying the odd unknown but putting all your eggs in one basket and hoping they are successful is asking for trouble IMO.

I'm starting to wonder that, if there are seriously no funds, and we do need to cut wages back, what on earth are we going to do next season, and the season after, and the season after, and so on?

What happens if Lowton does turn out to be the best full back we've ever purchased, and then demands more wages? Will he have to be sold on, and to continue sticking to this wage budget, will he have to be replaced once more by somebody that only requires less than £20k a week?

There has to be some form of investment eventually or we'll just be stuck in a loop, whether that means purchasing new players outright, having to offer current players higher salaries in order to stay at the club, or replacing players that move on with new players that are up to par.

I actually think the cost cutting has been as damaging as the big spending

We must have spent £10m on compensation for managers and coaching staff

We have purchased, Ireland, Hutton, Nzog - for £22m - who now must be worth around £6m at the very best .....

Yes Habid Beye, Heskey, Warnock - we all stupid signings - but some of the players we have signed as 'affordable' have proved equally expensive.

It depends how much they cost.

I think we have signed some good quality players at sustainable fees and wages. I think we will sign some more.

Exactly. Signing someone like Fletcher for example for something like £12m-£15m would be utterly ridiculous.

Here's the irony. A good thumping at home tomorrow may trigger some spending next week. A win or draw, Lerner may just keep his powder dry until January.

As already said lets have the post mortems come Sept 1.

Here's the irony. A good thumping at home tomorrow may trigger some spending next week. A win or draw, Lerner may just keep his powder dry until January.

As already said lets have the post mortems come Sept 1.

I seriously doubt tomorrow's result will change anything. Are you hoping for a loss tomorrow then?

After Sadio Diallo and Romain Alessandrini, Jean II Makoun is the third reinforcement of "Red and Black" this season. Last season on loan to Olympiakos in Greece by the English club Aston Villa, Cameroon arrived in Britain to strengthen the midfield after the departures of Tongo Doumbia (Wolverhampton) and Alexander Tettey (Norwich City): "We were looking an environment with experience, "explains Pierre Dréossi general manager of the club," I know well because I had recruited in Lille (2001). It was closely followed by Greece last season. He had a good year in particular Olympiakos in the Champions League and the Europa League. "

Jean II Makoun knows France. Born in Yaoundé, Cameroon, he landed in the North Lille at the age of 17 years. He made his debut in Ligue 1 in 2002 and is quickly in midfield Lille. With the LOSC, the defensive midfielder participates twice in the Champions League. In the league, "John II" argument 165 games, scoring 9 goals. For the record, during the 2005-2006 season through the first day, it is the only scorer of the match against Stade Rennais FC

Its good performance earned him the interest of Lyon, the seven-time champion of France. With Gones, he plays 76 games in L1 and mark 8 goals. He participated in 24 Champions League games and scored 3 goals against Fiorentina, Barcelona and Real Madrid. Fierce competition in midfield reduces the playing time of Cameroonians. In January 2011, Jean II Makoun joined Aston Villa.

England, Cameroon taste the games in the Premier League on seven occasions. Injury prevents former Lyonnais itself in the starting eleven Gérard Houllier. During the 2011 summer transfer window, he was loaned to club Olympiakos Piraeus Greek club with whom he won the championship and the national cup.

Loaned for one season at Stade Rennais FC midfielder of 29 years should bring all his experience in Rennes between games.

http://www.staderennais.com/index.php?rb=22&id=AT7560

Makoun signs to Rennes on a year long loan, they best be paying his bloody wages!

Also, 'Alex Tettey', a Rennes midfielder has signed for Norwich on a two-year deal as Makoun has signed for them, so I think that puts any Brahimi speculation to rest as M'Vila will also probably be leaving in the next coming days.