General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

PAUL Lambert is unsure if Villa will make another signing before Saturday – but is happy to “go with what we’ve got” for the Premier League kick-off at West Ham.

Villa would ideally like to recruit another couple of reinforcements to bolster the squad before the transfer window closes in 17 days’ time on Friday, August 31.

But Lambert insists he is content to send the players he already has into action at Upton Park if the club are unable to make any immediate additions.

He has potential targets in mind, but says he has not lodged bids, nor have Villa received any offers for their existing players.

“If we go with what we’ve got on Saturday then I’ve not got a problem,” said Lambert.

“I don’t know if there will be any more activity before then, but the group at the minute, they’re doing all right, so we’ll have to wait and see.”

Lambert has been pleased with his squad’s efforts during the pre-season campaign and is excited about his first competitive match in charge.

“You’re playing proper football now,” he said.

“You’re playing competitively and it’s your job now.

“It will be a tough game at West Ham, but I’m looking forward to playing for real.

“I can’t ask for any more from the players in terms of effort.

“There’s been some tough games and they’ve done well.”

Asked if Villa had lodged any bids or received any offers, he replied: “No, so I’ll wait and see what happens.”

http://tinyurl.com/blqnkoc

:-\

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He didn't say it wasn't likely, he said he didn't know.

It all very predictable. Clubs, players and agents taking the piss and playing chicken until the last minute.

I wouldn't be at all suprised if we signed one or two before the weekend or if it went to the last day of the window.

As long as we don't get stung and get who we're after without going for poorer cheaper options I'm not bothered. It's a long old season.

Lambert is on a budget, what that is nobody really knows. But I believe he is waiting to see what he can get with the money available. No point spending it all now when we don't yet know who will definitely leave before the window shuts. Also, we may see a situation where a club (Man City for example) signs a player (Sinclair) and then NEEDS to sell one of their squad players (A. Johnson) to re-balance (ish) the books so offers him to clubs for less than they are asking right now.

I still think we will see Warnock and Hutton leave and a LB, Winger and ST come in.

Seems likely now we will be stuck with Hutton and Warnock possibly for the season. Not because we don't want rid but because no one else wants them.

The dilemma we now face will be do we have them as part of the team or freeze out 2 experienced players who are taking up valuable space in the wage bill.

That statement is one which our manager is playing his cards very close to his chest. I am hoping that both our chairman and manager aren't stupid enough to think that our present squad is strong enough to compete on all fronts as it would be nothing short of negligence.

As long as we don't get stung and get who we're after without going for poorer cheaper options I'm not bothered. It's a long old season.

I'm very negative about the situation under Lerner right now but ultimately you're right with what you say here. It doesn't really matter if we sign players today or 11:50pm on the 31st of August, just as long as some players are added to the squad, and as you say, as long as lambert hasn't had to sign plan C and D players due to serious financial restrictions placed upon him.

I'm very negative about the situation under Lerner right now but ultimately you're right with what you say here. It doesn't really matter if we sign players today or 11:50pm on the 31st of August, just as long as some players are added to the squad, and as you say, as long as lambert hasn't had to sign plan C and D players due to serious financial restrictions placed upon him.

And tbh I believe that in terms of making new signings/transfer movements...the nature of the business is to take it down to deadline day because at that point if you look at it from both teams something will usually give. Whether it be the team try to buy a player will hope the seller will take a lower offer because they are desperate to get something at least or the buying team just desperate to get a player will end up having to pay the price they are quoted.

Having said that, I totally expect the movement of Warnock and Hutton both on deadline day. Teams know they aren't in our plans so they will come in with lowball offers which we will probably accept because it is better than nothing and that is two more players off the wage bill. I also expect us to still bring 2/3 in by the end of the window, also probably being done within the lst few days.

Lambert doesn't strike me as someone who'd tell the press anything in regards to future transfers anyway. So any article about that is pretty meaningless IMO.

He's well known for it. Ask any Norwich fan. I wouldn't read too much into those comments.

Moreover, I hope it indicates that Lambert is'nt prepared to sign just anybody, to appease public opinion. If we have to wait for the 'cat-and-mouse' last-minute window games to pan out, then so be it.

Looks like AJ will be off to Everton if this is the be believed

Manchester City have promised Everton first refusal on a loan deal for Adam Johnson after the two clubs completed a deal for Jack Rodwell.

Young England international Rodwell swapped Goodison Park for the Etihad in a deal worth up to £15million, and although not an official agreement, managers Roberto Mancini and David Moyes have spoken about Johnson.

The 25-year-old has fallen down the pecking order at City and is danger of letting the best years of his career pass him by.

he former Middlesborough man made 26 Premier League appearances for the champions last campaign, although many were as a substitute.

Liverpool and Fulham are just two of the clubs to have stated an interest in taking Johnson on a temporary basis, but, according to the Metro, the Toffees have jumped to the head of the queue.

Should the move materialise, Mancini will press ahead with his plans to sign Scott Sinclair from Swansea.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2188053/Everton-given-refusal-Adam-Johnson.html