General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has the transfer window closed, would Lambert have come if he only had 50p to spend?

It annoys me when people say this, So Lambert has only come for the money then? Not the fact he can manage a club the size of Aston Villa and get the opportunity to work with some of the players that we have?

Yet we still seem to be acting like a piss poor second rate club.

We got it down to 50%.. With the possibility of Warnock and Dunne going that percentage will get even lower, but that doesn't mean we can now start being reckless. The fact is the Worlds best players command wages of over £100k, we couldn't afford that in the MON days and we can't afford it now..

We got it down to 50%.. With the possibility of Warnock and Dunne going that percentage will get even lower, but that doesn't mean we can now start being reckless. The fact is the Worlds best players command wages of over £100k, we couldn't afford that in the MON days and we can't afford it now..

...You also have to consider just how appetising a proposition we are ATM to the kind of players we want.

If Lambert fails at Villa it wont be his fault it will be Lerner's

We all know he's a good manager but he'd have to be a miracle worker to finish midtable with the current squad we have we need at least 4 more players

It's time for Lerner to deliver now and give him additional funds so we can finish comfortably midtable this season which should be our aim

If we start the season with the squad we currently have i fear we will be looking over our shoulders again come Christmas

...You also have to consider just how appetising a proposition we are ATM to the kind of players we want.

I agree with you.

we are in a bit of a catch 22 position.... we really do need a few years of developing our own players by the youth system and picking up a few gems, when we can demonstrate a culture at the club of tangible improvement in terms of performance and result only then will we be able to attract the right players without bankrupting the club.

Apparently Sunderland are getting Stephen Ward from Wolves ..don't see Warnock going anywhere now
[list=]

I suspect Ward might be quite pissed if he moves away from the Midlands as he only bought a house in the area about a year ago but I guess that's football.

As for Ward as a player he is an absolutely typical MON signing, average and he will overpay for him in either wages or fee or both.

:shock:

Jesus christ, how about lets wait til the end of the window before making extreme comments?

No Premier League teams have really started spending yet other than Chelsea. Be patient.

Well yes I said there are still 2 weeks left.

But at the moment its how we look to be acting. Hopefully that will change.

Let's not forget this is the man who hired houllier and Mcleish. It's not like it's ridiculous to suggest he might **** up again.

Well thanks for that.

In the post you failed to fully quote I said I hope we bring in players on sensible wages.

Holman, El Ahamedi and Vlaar or left a decent league and teams playing in Europe.

I'm sure there are others and in the lower leagues that would be attracted to us right now.

Do folk on here not think that Lambert can see the obvious weakness and depth of the squad that we can all see? The Board will be well aware of it themselves,patience is required as re-building the squad will take 12-18 months.

I do know where people's frustration comes from, knowing it's only a few days until the season starts and us still being well short. But it's all about getting the best deals for the club, not panic buying and paying over the odds on transfer fees and wages. If we only sign a couple more players before the end of the window, I still have full confidence in Lambert to get the players we need in future windows.

Do folk on here not think that Lambert can see the obvious weakness and depth of the squad that we can all see? The Board will be well aware of it themselves,patience is required as re-building the squad will take 12-18 months.

I don't see why we should have to wait 12-18 months to sign a LB.

There are obvious weaknesses that need addressing now.

I am not saying that we won't sign any players in this window & a LB may well be signed shortly but the overhaul will take time as prudent spending is required,we cannot afford to waste money like we have done over the last 4 years.

Lambert will address the issues give the guy a chance,we all myself included want to see 4/5 new signings including a Hollywood one but the price/package has to be right for AVFC.

I am not saying that we won't sign any players in this window & a LB may well be signed shortly but the overhaul will take time as prudent spending is required,we cannot afford to waste money like we have done over the last 4 years.

Lambert will address the issues give the guy a chance,we all myself included want to see 4/5 new signings including a Hollywood one but the price/package has to be right for AVFC.

I have no problem with Lambert. I fully believe he has players he wants but is restricted by what he can do.

I don't think anyone expects a brand new squad this summer but after coming so close to relegation last season I was hoping we'd see an approach that could at least give me hope we will become a competitive team in the future. What I see at the moment is an approach that suggests just being in the premier league is enough.

Like I said that could all change in the next few weeks but it's how I feel at the moment.

I have no problem with Lambert. I fully believe he has players he wants but is restricted by what he can do.

I don't think anyone expects a brand new squad this summer but after coming so close to relegation last season I was hoping we'd see an approach that could at least give me hope we will become a competitive team in the future. What I see at the moment is an approach that suggests just being in the premier league is enough.

Like I said that could all change in the next few weeks but it's how I feel at the moment.

Its understandable the way you feel, its called passion.

The problem is for all of us who feel similar to you, is that we do not understand the financial landscape that the club has to operate in.

I can see Randy's view and the fans view, but in terms of big lost lumps on players its not the fans money....He needs to get a bit of confidence back in terms of buying prudently.

How do you figure?

The lack of movement given our obvious weaknesses in the squad and the way the whole Vlaar deal played out.

How about waiting until the end of the transfer window before jumping to conclusions?