Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Gabby seems to be enjoying playing wide now more than before, seems to be getting more freedom to cut/move into middle than under Houllier

Agree, he actually looks like he wants to be there and I would keep him in the team because of this. As much as I love Bent, at the moment I can't make a case for him usurping any of the front 3.

Have to agree.

He just dosen't have enough goalscoring threat anymore playing anymore right through the middle as we saw after Bent got injured last season.

Playing wide every other game he'll come up against a full back who won't fancy his pace and will get some joy.

I also think he's a better crosses of a ball than people realise when he drives it across the box as he did for the 2nd last night and a few he set up for Bent last season.

I think he's loving having the pressure taken off him because defences are (quite rightly) focusing on benteke...

looks fired up every game now, and i really hope we see england form gabby back on the scene on a regular basis.... exciting times ahead if we do...

I think this Gabby Weimann Benteke set up is really clicking.

Our last few goals in all competitions have come from these guys.

Swindon - Benteke's goals (2)

Swindon - Gabby's goal

Sunderland - Benteke assist

Sunderland - Gabby's goal

United - Weimann's goals (2)

United - Agbonlahor assist

United - Benteke assist

Really hope Lambert sticks with this system. Along with Westwood/Bannan/Ireland in midfield - they also seem to be clicking.

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing as nobody else is talking about this I'll bring it up.

Gabby has been pretty garbage ever since the Utd game - his inconsistency really is killing us and has done for a long long time.

Everyone is happy to dig into Holman, Ireland etc but Gabby gives the ball away far more often.

So annoying because he has the ability to tear teams apart but we only see it 1 every 10 games if that. Starting to think we only see it when teams get there tactics wrong and give him too much space.

I know why he is in the team - because of the threat his pace gives us. But if Lambert is truly picking on form and not names then I don't know why Bent didn't get a look in on Sat especially as we were playing 2 up front.

I know why he is in the team - because of the threat his pace gives us. But if Lambert is truly picking on form and not names then I don't know why Bent didn't get a look in on Sat especially as we were playing 2 up front.

Bent and Benteke can't play together proberly being one reason.

Bent and Benteke can't play together proberly being one reason.

They looked all right against Swansea - Bent set up a sitter that Benteke missed and then set up his goal. Bent has done well when playing with a "big man" in the past so I don't see any reason to right it off just because we lost to Southampton heavily. The implosion in that game was not Bents fault.

And yes Gabby does offer better protection down the flanks and yes I do think 4-3-2-1 is our best formation however if we are going to play with a top 2 as we did on Sat find it strange that Bent doesn't get a look in.

Which is all to miss the point...I wasn't trying to say that Gabby is worse than Bent. Rather that Gabby needs competition for his place...

Pity he doesn't do as much going forward.....how ofte ndoes he actually use that legendary pace to beat a player. He seems reluctant to take on his man and beat him. An enigma for me.

Genuinely think he lacks the commen sense to utilise his attributes. Seen so many times where there is space behind a defender that he could just knock the ball past and run into it, but he can't seem to work it out...

Perhaps already mentioned but did anyone spot (I think it was the QPR game) when he turned his back on an advanced throw in on the right hand side?

For me this sums Gabby up, he is a work horse who never uses his talents in a truly productive manner. Agree with mikeyp.

A quick throw and overlap around the back might have found him one on one but he walked away, job done, I've pressed the ball into their half.

I understand this is a tactic we need while at the bottom but its a long time since he looked inventive on the pitch and he continually slows/stops our passing moves.

Perhaps already mentioned but did anyone spot (I think it was the QPR game) when he turned his back on an advanced throw in on the right hand side?

For me this sums Gabby up, he is a work horse who never uses his talents in a truly productive manner. Agree with mikeyp.

A quick throw and overlap around the back might have found him one on one but he walked away, job done, I've pressed the ball into their half.

I understand this is a tactic we need while at the bottom but its a long time since he looked inventive on the pitch and he continually slows/stops our passing moves.

TBH, Ive totally turned my back on Villa throw ins. Complete and utter waste of time. The opposition might as well just take the throw in themselves. They end up with the ball

Seeing as nobody else is talking about this I'll bring it up.

Gabby has been pretty garbage ever since the Utd game - his inconsistency really is killing us and has done for a long long time.

Everyone is happy to dig into Holman, Ireland etc but Gabby gives the ball away far more often.

So annoying because he has the ability to tear teams apart but we only see it 1 every 10 games if that. Starting to think we only see it when teams get there tactics wrong and give him too much space.

I've never got him to be honest, yes the pace is attractive but waning, in the same way as it did with Daley & Vassell limited players. There is always a case being built for someone who has become a protected species( his loyalty is obviously attractive).Benteke needs a quality player along side him...Gabby is also not England quality as some try to allude to.

Â