Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

6 hours ago, briny_ear said:

What a rum sort of discussion this is. The bottom line is, if Steve Bruce can get Gabby fit and playing well again, and contributing to a successful team, he will play him. If not, he won't. 

All these pages and pages of words are beside the point really.

That's a good point. Let's go into every player thread and highlight that it's up to the manager whether they play or not and either way, any other discussion is pointless.

:thumb:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

That's a good point. Let's go into every player thread and highlight that it's up to the manager whether they play or not and either way, any other discussion is pointless.

:thumb:

In fairness to Briny I think this thread has been going back and forth for a while. There has been no new revelations or incidents. Just two groups strongly opposing each other. Its fun and interesting for a while then it gets a bit tedious. Every time someone bags Gabby someone sticks up for him and so on and so on. Neither side is saying anything new just repeating rhetoric over and over again. 

There you go everyone from both camps can unite together and attack me now just for a bit of spice to this thread -_-

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 3

For what its worth Gabby was my favourite player for years. I have his name on the back of multiple strips and use to love watching him play. 

He let the team and himself down with some of his actions. I got angry and upset and even ranted on here about how he disgusted me. 

You know what though I got over it. He will never be my favourite player again. I dont care if he leaves or stays but if he plays and helps us get back to where we are meant to be then I'll give him whatever credit  he is due.

I agree with points from both sides but in my humble opinion until he does something newsworthy it might be time to let this slide onto the 2nd page and focus on something else for a while. 

But hey everyone is entitled to their opinion...... 

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Bit this is the thing, his 'bad behaviour' appears to be getting fat - but it's clear that for some people there's a lot more than that. I'd wondered if I'd missed stuff. I

So additional to being unfit (I'm not going to call him fat because it does nothing for my already fragile sense of self esteem), he was pictured multiple times out partying, including on the evening of our relegation smoking shisha pipes if I recall.

Then there's the fact that he was club captain, I don't think we can overemphasise this point - he was supposed to lead the club, be a role model for junior players and an ambassador for the brand, he threw it back in our faces with bells on.

Sorry but this line of thought, that some of us are only pissed off at him because he was unfit (which by the way, is reason enough anyway) is patronising and ill conceived.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Woodytom said:

I have to say, the way gabby's career has gone certainly points that the information I was given wasn't too far from the truth.

That said, I can't be certain of course.

Quite a few people have said that they have heard this, that or the other about Gabby. Both here and via other forms of social media. Not a single one of them has been able to say specifically what it is they have heard and from whom, all I get is hearsay. I'd say the old adage 'no smoke without fire' would fit, if it wasn't obvious in 100% of cases that these people had pre-existing agendas. 

I'll say the same to you as I've said to others, shit or get off the pot. Don't trash a mans name without the will to back it up because it is damaging to the football club as a whole.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Quite a few people have said that they have heard this, that or the other about Gabby. Both here and via other forms of social media. Not a single one of them has been able to say specifically what it is they have heard and from whom, all I get is hearsay. I'd say the old adage 'no smoke without fire' would fit, if it wasn't obvious in 100% of cases that these people had pre-existing agendas. 

I'll say the same to you as I've said to others, shit or get off the pot. Don't trash a mans name without the will to back it up because it is damaging to the football club as a whole.  

I think he's already fully achieved this himself with no help or otherwise from fans.

All this GA defending is really baffling.

I forget which season it was, but he bulked up during preseason and the consequence was that for him to keep his pace he would have to be even fitter and better tuned.

He didnt do this and obviously became frustrated with his loss of pace exposing his lack of ability & Football brain.

If we remember Ginola. He was what, 32/3/4 when he came to us. He had skill, ball control, Pace off the mark, could turn & run and had a football brain as well as being 2 footed.

by the time he got to us though his pace off the mark had gone. I still have visions of him near the touchline standing still with ball at feet goading the defender so he could use his skill to get past him (allowing other defenders time to cover)

Gaby had no "second trick". he had bust ups with Houllier, that french fitness guru (2x Houllier & Garde), Roy Keane, Lamberts coaching staff. He turned his muscle into fat by his own accord.

As always, players become "better than who's playing at the moment" the longer they are out of the side. Gaby has been out a VERY long time. So if all of a sudden he's good enough, he must have been really shit when he lost his place because he's improved SUCH a lot in the meantime.

Gaby is a shit footballer, I dont trust his "new attitude" to last very long. We really are better off giving youth with ambition a chance this season because if we do go up, we cant afford to experiment with inexperienced youth and an ageing shit with an attitude & fitness problem in the PL

P.S. waiting with baited breath for an even longer "counter-post" from JV lecturing on about UK & US media, the price of bread and whatever deflecting from the issue "GA the footballer"

• Like 1

Gabby has a point to prove as much as RHM has a point to prove.

I would much rather we are giving RHM the time on the pitch to prove he has got what it takes for this club than giving Gabby another shot.

Gabby at his best was fast, for the last few years he hasn't been and with the added weight and lack of footballing brain this has shown.

RHM is fast, he also has a footballing brain and during pre-season he looked brilliant. The kid is a younger version of Gabby and could potentially be better than him. I hope we don't go down the route of selling off a youth prospect just to give a player who has let us down for years be given another opportunity.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Gabby has a point to prove as much as RHM has a point to prove.

I would much rather we are giving RHM the time on the pitch to prove he has got what it takes for this club than giving Gabby another shot.

Gabby at his best was fast, for the last few years he hasn't been and with the added weight and lack of footballing brain this has shown.

RHM is fast, he also has a footballing brain and during pre-season he looked brilliant. The kid is a younger version of Gabby and could potentially be better than him. I hope we don't go down the route of selling off a youth prospect just to give a player who has let us down for years be given another opportunity.

This.  

Great if Gabby can contribute with the odd cameo or covering injury, but as well as getting ourselves back where we belong, we need to continue to bring though and develop talent.  Gabby will be gone in a couple of years so use him if and when he can help, but don't let it impact the development of others.

6 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

In fairness to Briny I think this thread has been going back and forth for a while. There has been no new revelations or incidents. Just two groups strongly opposing each other. Its fun and interesting for a while then it gets a bit tedious. Every time someone bags Gabby someone sticks up for him and so on and so on. Neither side is saying anything new just repeating rhetoric over and over again. 

There you go everyone from both camps can unite together and attack me now just for a bit of spice to this thread -_-

This was the whole point, and i'm sure it was understood, however I knew they would try to put it out of context (purposely) and ALSO moan at that so didn't even think it was worth a response.

Anyway i'm just happy football is back this weekend.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Gaby had no "second trick". he had bust ups with Houllier, that french fitness guru (2x Houllier & Garde), Roy Keane, Lamberts coaching staff. He turned his muscle into fat by his own accord.

I'm not sure who this "Gaby" chap is but, if you mean Gabby, then it's worth mentioning:

Houllier - made himself generally unpopular by dissing the club and its fans and taking the praise of the Kop during a game vs his new club;

"that french fitness guru" - presumably Robert Duverne - had quite a lot of bust-ups wherever he went, including spectacularly with the French national team 

Roy Keane - complete headbanger who similarly had "bust-ups" throughout his career, ranted aimlessly almost all the time while at Villa and then dipped out without warning

"Lamberts coaching staff" - assume you mean Culverhouse and Karsa? The guys who were sacked for bullying?

A trainee defence lawyer could rip your witnesses for the prosecution to shreds in half an hour.

I am very puzzled about why some people are so upset at the prospect that Steve Bruce might get Gabby to pull himself together, come back into the fold and help us get promotion. If that really can happen, both Gabby and Stevie are heroes in my eyes.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dave J said:

With respect why?

I've posted multiple times why I don't like him, but unlike this thread I'm not going to repeat myself over and over but to save you from looking and us toing and froing with comments; he's shit.

• Like 2

On 14 November 2016 at 14:01, Woodytom said:

Not possible. I'm genuinely not interested in forgiving him.

In the grand scheme of the world, his actions are far from criminal. I just literally have no time for him at all.

That literal that you've spent a fair bit of time reading/writing posts all about him.

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I'm not sure who this "Gaby" chap is but, if you mean Gabby, then it's worth mentioning:

Houllier - made himself generally unpopular by dissing the club and its fans and taking the praise of the Kop during a game vs his new club;

"that french fitness guru" - presumably Robert Duverne - had quite a lot of bust-ups wherever he went, including spectacularly with the French national team 

Roy Keane - complete headbanger who similarly had "bust-ups" throughout his career, ranted aimlessly almost all the time while at Villa and then dipped out without warning

"Lamberts coaching staff" - assume you mean Culverhouse and Karsa? The guys who were sacked for bullying?

A trainee defence lawyer could rip your witnesses for the prosecution to shreds in half an hour.

I am very puzzled about why some people are so upset at the prospect that Steve Bruce might get Gabby to pull himself together, come back into the fold and help us get promotion. If that really can happen, both Gabby and Stevie are heroes in my eyes.

Zing!!

7 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I've said numerous times (not so much recently) but certainly over the past few years what I was told and by whom.

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I don't really get this. You're basically highlighting that other people's approaches are an excuse for the failings and behaviours of another individual.

Your last paragraph says it all, and how much of a part fans play imo, in allowing players to become untouchable.

I can't be sure to what extent, but there is no doubt that as club captain, gabby was a massive failure and played a part in an unbelievably woeful season. last season shouldn't have happened the way it did regardless of the environment. The players need to be held accountable for such a disgraceful showing......... now, because here is where my issue is. You want to label gabby a 'hero' if he plays a part in us getting promoted. My word.....  This is simply bizarre imo.

How on earth can a player, whose failings assisted in us being in this position, be labelled a hero for putting us back to a position where we still might have been had he and the other major failings chosen to take their thumbs out their arses, stopped whinging about the approach of a fitness coach and **** performed?

Please tell me wtf I am missing that allows professional footballers to be so easily immune to taking personal responsibility?

• Like 2

Â