Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

1 hour ago, Woodytom said:

Your argument here is flawed....certainly in my case when you assume that any success displayed by gabby in a villa shirt in the future will go anyway to me forgiving him. It won't. It doesn't matter whether he scores a hat-trick every game from now until the end of the season, I will have zero interest in the bloke nor will I want him anywhere near the first team.

What about the managers who played gabby? who he performed piss poor for..... we're they right like you suggest Steve Bruce is?

Fwiw, I couldn't give a **** what Steve Bruce says/thinks. We don't have to bow down to his every breath. There is very little I can do if he decides to play him, but it won't stop me from voicing my discontent with that. 

I don't get this attitude at all. He came on in the last game and a good flick from him started the move from which we got the winning goal. Yes he's acted stupidly in the last season or two but for me if he can help the team then we use him.

As an aside I like the response he's been getting from the crowd recently and I like the fact that he's acknowledging the support and genuinely seems to be trying his hardest. This good run has massively helped the atmosphere around the club and has worked well for Bruce bringing Gabby back in. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

I don't get this attitude at all. He came on in the last game and a good flick from him started the move from which we got the winning goal. Yes he's acted stupidly in the last season or two but for me if he can help the team then we use him.

Sometimes, to some folk, what we stand for Is more important. For example, I'd rather never win the champions league than have Luis suarez bite his way to it. I'm not trying to take the moral high ground for one second here but to some of us, his behaviour  (which is a damn sight more than acting stupid for a couple of seasons).... Is just past the overlooking phase. Im led to believe that he was incredibly disruptive during the houllier days and since then he has clearly been a huge negative influence on the club since through choice.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Sometimes, to some folk, what we stand for Is more important. For example, I'd rather never win the champions league than have Luis suarez bite his way to it. I'm not trying to take the moral high ground for one second here but to some of us, his behaviour  (which is a damn sight more than acting stupid for a couple of seasons).... Is just past the overlooking phase. Im led to believe that he was incredibly disruptive during the houllier days and since then he has clearly been a huge negative influence on the club since through choice.

Woody, in terms of his behaviour, what are you referring to? He's been overweight and hasn't gotten himself into shape - that's unprofessional, but you seem to be referring to something altogether different in terms of behaviour - what is it you're thinking of?

4 hours ago, Woodytom said:

You have been led wrong there then I'm afraid

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Your argument here is flawed....certainly in my case when you assume that any success displayed by gabby in a villa shirt in the future will go anyway to me forgiving him. It won't. It doesn't matter whether he scores a hat-trick every game from now until the end of the season, I will have zero interest in the bloke nor will I want him anywhere near the first team.

You wouldn't want a player who scores a hattrick every week in the team? Odd a Villa fan wouldn't want what's best for Villa.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Woody, in terms of his behaviour, what are you referring to? He's been overweight and hasn't gotten himself into shape - that's unprofessional, but you seem to be referring to something altogether different in terms of behaviour - what is it you're thinking of?

He was captain, he was meant to be the leader, he was meant to be Mr Aston Villa.

Last year, we needed a leader and a captain more than at any other time during my lifetime, he not only failed to adhere to the core basics of his playing contract but he set the worst example imaginable.

I can't believe how short some people's memories seem to be (not necessarily aimed at you ObE)

edit - to add, I'm not saying we shouldn't use him if he's fit, committed and if Bruce's thinks he's the best option but in my opinion, we should not forgive and we should not forget what's transpired over the past 12-18 months in particular 

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He was captain, he was meant to be the leader, he was meant to be Mr Aston Villa.

Last year, we needed a leader and a captain more than at any other time during my lifetime, he not only failed to adhere to the core basics of his playing contract but he set the worst example imaginable.

I can't believe how short some people's memories seem to be (not necessarily aimed at you ObE)

edit - to add, I'm not saying we shouldn't use him if he's fit, committed and if Bruce's thinks he's the best option but in my opinion, we should not forgive and we should not forget what's transpired over the past 12-18 months in particular 

Bit this is the thing, his 'bad behaviour' appears to be getting fat - but it's clear that for some people there's a lot more than that. I'd wondered if I'd missed stuff. I

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Well.... as the club captain I would say that being overweight and unfit is more than unprofessional. it'd be an absolute disgrace for any professional footballer to be out of shape...... major injuries aside.

That said, his antics out in dubai and on the night of our relegation only added to that disgrace.

Whether he likes it or not... as club captain, his approach is magnified as it will have no doubt influenced others and he would have been aware of it. 

At no point last season did he even attempt to act like a captain, from what I've seen.

We can only really comment on what's put in front of us and whilst negative reports associated with gabby are minimal (yet enough to Warrent this reaction from fans imo), what was he up to that we didn't see?

Judging by the poor condition he was in, it would appear that none of his approach was positive to Aston villa.

He was told to find a new club. no, he turned that down, more than happy to continue abusing the position he found himself in. At the expense of fans and the club.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, KHV said:

You have been led wrong there then I'm afraid

May I ask how you know this information please? I seem to recall Houllier seeing through Gabby and not falling for the local boy- must play nonsense - so maybe Woodytom's version of accounts is not so far off track  as you might think?

• Like 2

While people debate whether Gabby is the messiah or just a naughty boy, I think its best to just take the agnostic approach. There seems to be too much assumption and speculation. We probably wont get the facts until after Gabby retires.

• Like 2

Here's where a lot of my frustration grows from.

In my place of work we have to keep ourselves to a certain level of fitness. Failing that, you wouldn't be sacked as such, but you'd be given a specific goal to achieve in a certain timescale. Failing that, then at the very best, you would find yourself in a different role on a lower pay scale.

Now, it's not as fundamental as a professional footballer being unfit. gabby being unfit, is like me turning up to work wearing my own clothes. its that basic of a requirement. I'd be sent home and consistent failure to wear the appropriate uniform would result in me being sacked.

There is literally no consequence for a footballer failing to adhere to the most basic of requirements. Only now, at least a year down the line and only now that the environment suits, has gabby decided to buck his ideas up. Otherwise, he'd still be sat on his monstrous wage with his thumb up his arse.

Yes football is a different environment but only because we let it be. They are simply untouchable and able to do whatever they want. And it's really frustrating that we don't even begin to recognise the part that we might be playing in that.

For a club captain to be so disgracefully out of shape. For him then, to basically stick his finger up at us, on the night we were relegated after arguably the most disgusting season in top level sporting history..... to only then be cheered onto the field in his next appearance. Which part of that can possibly be right? 

Yeah people will say we want the best for villa so we encourage everyone who plays but for the love of god, if we need to cheer them on to encourage them  to give their best, then Imo, we know everything we need to know about them.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Dave J said:

May I ask how you know this information please? I seem to recall Houllier seeing through Gabby and not falling for the local boy- must play nonsense - so maybe Woodytom's version of accounts is not so far off track  as you might think?

I have to say, the way gabby's career has gone certainly points that the information I was given wasn't too far from the truth.

That said, I can't be certain of course.

What a rum sort of discussion this is. The bottom line is, if Steve Bruce can get Gabby fit and playing well again, and contributing to a successful team, he will play him. If not, he won't. 

All these pages and pages of words are beside the point really.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

What a rum sort of discussion this is. The bottom line is, if Steve Bruce can get Gabby fit and playing well again, and contributing to a successful team, he will play him. If not, he won't. 

All these pages and pages of words are beside the point really.

76035d1407656289t-hes-right-you-know1.jpg

Â