Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

When Aston Villa has done well over the past few years its been when Gabby has been on form. The bloke dragged us out of the relegation zone last year, and did the same the year before.

He hasn't won trophies, but he's made significant contributions to the club. Definitely my favourite player in times where it's hard to find 'likeable' characters in football.

Hear Hear!

It's not so much about whether or not he has been losing pace (which I don't think he has) but the fact that he's grown more confident in using it. It's attempting runs like that into the box that will produce goals.

His points are perfectly valid. His job is to help Villa win, not to keep a stuff upper lip while people foul him. I'd prefer we played a slightly cynical game and won rather than losing with great sportsmanship - why be the soft team everyone likes to play against?

Interestingly, in the post-match interview, Gabby said he has been old to run at defenders more. That could be invaluable advice through the season. It obviously worked yesterday!

Glad that he's been told to do so. One of the reasons that he's so effective to have on the pitch is that defenders obviously don't like dealing with players with pace. He showed yesterday that it forces them to make rash decisions/mistakes, so it's more likely that he'll either make it into the box or win a free kick (or 2 penalties in yesterday's case) via panicky defenders.

Hard to find likeable characters in football?

I love Lambert, Westwood, Lowton, Gabby, Weimann, Delph & Guzan. All great & likeable characters, imo.

Hard to find likeable players in football.... Outside of Aston Villa :D

And the best thing is, we have players who are genuinely likable without being soft pushovers as was the case in the past. How often over the past decade have we complained that we're "too nice" or don't have that nasty edge you need to succeed. Well, now I think we are developing a hardness about us, a tough, battling even slightly edgy nature to the team - but we're doing it without petty, petulant, diving, or dirty players.

This is becoming a cliche and there's still plenty of time for everything to go wrong, but as many other are saying, I love this team in a way I've not felt for a long time. I mean, I've always loved the Villa as a club and always will, but the team, the players individually and severally... well that waxes and wanes, and it's waxing furiously right now, like Daniel-san on speed...

• Like 1

Hard to find likeable characters in football?

I love Lambert, Westwood, Lowton, Gabby, Weimann, Delph & Guzan. All great & likeable characters, imo.

Hard to find likeable players in football.... Outside of Aston Villa :D

And the best thing is, we have players who are genuinely likable without being soft pushovers as was the case in the past. How often over the past decade have we complained that we're "too nice" or don't have that nasty edge you need to succeed. Well, now I think we are developing a hardness about us, a tough, battling even slightly edgy nature to the team - but we're doing it without petty, petulant, diving, or dirty players.

This is becoming a cliche and there's still plenty of time for everything to go wrong, but as many other are saying, I love this team in a way I've not felt for a long time. I mean, I've always loved the Villa as a club and always will, but the team, the players individually and severally... well that waxes and wanes, and it's waxing furiously right now, like Daniel-san on speed...

Agreed. Such a contrast to just over a year ago. I actually found myself disliking the team (not the club) when McDoom was here. Complete opposite now.

Â