Cardiff City

The_Rev

I don't think he'll be a car crash, Di Canio was a car crash. I don't think it's possible to look spectacular at Cardiff either.

He'll either keep them up for a year, and if he can, he can build from there. If he makes it through this season he has a better chance of keeping them up for a few years, until Tan sacks him, or gets bored and realises there's no glory or money at a club like Cardiff and sells.

Or, they'll get relegated and he'll be sacked in May.

It puts to bed the idea OGS turned us down (if he did) for any reasons that reflect upon us negatively.

It's a big risk. As a promoted side, Cardiff are a risk of relegation by default. In addition, we also don't know the consequences in terms of team morale and the effect of changing playing systems that losing Mackay will cause, further destabilising an already-tenuously positioned club. If Mackay really was performing miracles in getting that club up then it mightn't matter who comes in.

I stand by the opinion that OGS should have waited for a better situation in which to enter the Premier League. It's not like he was going to miss the boat by turning down Cardiff. He's linked to every Premier League job when they arise. I'm not saying he will fail. He has just taken a higher percentage chance than he needed to.

I'm shocked OGS isn't at WBA to be honest. If he was open to moving to the Premier League then WBA seems a good fit to me. Cardiff is a strange choice, but I guess he must have been promised a lot of money to spend. 

I'm shocked OGS isn't at WBA to be honest. If he was open to moving to the Premier League then WBA seems a good fit to me. Cardiff is a strange choice, but I guess he must have been promised a lot of money to spend.

I'm guessing the baggies are going to repeat the cycle and go for somebody with a bit more tangible, proven ability. I've no idea who, I can only guess they'll look abroad.

I think OGS is doomed to fail to be honest.

Wrong job for Ole. Maybe the worst possible job for him to wet his feet in Britain. I'd have waited until after the season, for the inevitable interest from more than just Cardiff. At the first sign of struggle, Tan will throw him under the bus too. But Ole doesn't seem as thick skinned as Mackay. He needs a job with a patient owner, not a Bond villain.

Sorry, totally disagree. This is a no lose situation for ogs. If he does well it'll be in spite of Tan. If it goes badly a large portion of the blame with be on Tan. All the while ogs will be in the premier league spotlight and he'll come out smelling of Roses.

Edited by jimmygreaves

But if it all goes tits up from the off, he'll have hurt his reputation regardless of Tan.  A better team with a less diabolical owner would have been the smarter move for him, IMO. He'll be under immense pressure straight away, rather than putting his stamp on a team in the summer, making his own signings, establishing team unity, etc. It's a risky move. People will be watching him to see how he handles the pressure, and if he can't, it hurts his standing as a manager.

I don't disagree with that Jimmy. But, whatever the reason, with the resulting 'Fail' on his CV, he'll still make future chairmen a little more nervous about appointing him than they would currently be, given that he will have no successes in the Premier League. No-one is saying the Cardiff job will cripple his career. It's just likely to be a 'Fail' that he really didn't need to have. Even if Tan will be a large part of the reason.

It'll be a fun watch regardless.

• Like 1

As long as he gets what he wants and they dont interfere, this might succeed. Tan only wants that. Depends on what he labels as that and how much time he is willing to give. OGS will go for attacking style so they might be fun to watch. Could really be a car crash as well. Really exciting to see how this will unfold.

Im With mikey, his talent was to sit on the bench, reda the game, then come on and exploit what he saw, always thought he was intensly good at reading the game and that bodes well for a manager.

Im a bit biased though, he was one of my favourite players as a kid, and i reaaally wanted him to come here. Now he can prove himself at Cardiff and come here after that. Best of luck to him!

• Like 1

Wasn't there something about the Owner/Bank roller of Molde threatening to pull out if he left? 

Will be interesting to see how he does. I've not watched any Norwegian football to know what the standard is, the only name I recognise is Rosenborg. That said, Molde finished 6th last term, 19 points off top.

http://uk.soccerway.com/national/norway/eliteserien/2013/regular-season/r19871/

That's why he turned down Villa back then, it was too early for him due to his obligations to Molde and their owners.

Pretty sure he'd prefer to have become Villa manager, despite probably handed more money at Cardiff.

Molde started the 2013 season poor, had to turn it around and they did from summer. Were arguably the best side in norwegian football again in second part of the season, but too much ground to catch up.

They did however win the cup instead.

Wasn't there something about the Owner/Bank roller of Molde threatening to pull out if he left? 

Will be interesting to see how he does. I've not watched any Norwegian football to know what the standard is, the only name I recognise is Rosenborg. That said, Molde finished 6th last term, 19 points off top.

http://uk.soccerway.com/national/norway/eliteserien/2013/regular-season/r19871/

That's why he turned down Villa back then, it was too early for him due to his obligations to Molde and their owners.

Pretty sure he'd prefer to have become Villa manager, despite probably handed more money at Cardiff.

Molde started the 2013 season poor, had to turn it around and they did from summer. Were arguably the best side in norwegian football again in second part of the season, but too much ground to catch up.

They did however win the cup instead.

Not only that, the Norway league is a summer league so they are currently between seasons, a good time for him to leave. When we approached Molde in that Summer his team were in the middle of the season and it's harder to get a manager to drop their team midway through a campaign. 

im suprised he didnt go west brom to be honest. surely that would have been a more ideal job than cardiff with a idiot chairman

He didn't want to be too close to us geographically, a what you could have won scenario.

• Like 1

I wonder whether he didn't come to us because of the financial restrictions in place at our club. Maybe he's been promised a susbtantial amount of money in the transfer market. He is a breath of fresh air in the press conference. Very impressive. 

Â