All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

I read that horrible story the other day of a fire at a Coptic Christian church in Egypt killing over 40 people including loads of kids.  I mean how could a God not step in to save dozens of people worshipping him?  If he exists he must be a massive word removed.

16 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I read that horrible story the other day of a fire at a Coptic Christian church in Egypt killing over 40 people including loads of kids.  I mean how could a God not step in to save dozens of people worshipping him?  If he exists he must be a massive word removed.

Maybe God is the bad guy who usurped and banished the lovely, caring, top geezer named Satan then printed shit loads of propaganda books?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Maybe God is the bad guy who usurped and banished the lovely, caring, top geezer named Satan then printed shit loads of propaganda books?

According to the Bible, this is almost correct except that Satan is God's imaginary friend who gets blamed for a few misdemeanours.

God is busy picking favourites and killing people, including his son.

5 minutes ago, limpid said:

According to the Bible, this is almost correct except that Satan is God's imaginary friend who gets blamed for a few misdemeanours.

God is busy picking favourites and killing people, including his son.

Yup...

Old Testament Murder Count: God Vs. Satan | WIRED

Yeah, but Satan killed ten innocent victims. The 2,038,344 were obviously wrong 'uns. They'd transgressed the unwritten law. They were asking for it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, but Satan killed ten innocent victims. The 2,038,344 were obviously wrong 'uns. They'd transgressed the unwritten law. They were asking for it. 

Most of those ten were at God's goading (basically as part of a wager). He was probably getting a bit existential trying to decide which god he was out of the mountain god, fire god, animal god and sky god described in the preceding chapters.

I'm not sure the babies killed by the Flood had become "wrong uns" and people that pretend they know God's mind push the pretence of free will, which would mean he couldn't know that they would become "wrong". However, neither babies nor women would have been counted  in these numbers because they were chattel; so God killed them because of other people's actions.

51 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I think it was Woody Allen who said that God was an underachiever, and these numbers seem to prove it.

I mean, Stalin killed between 6 and 20 million, and people still believed in him - some still do.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

What about that guys wife (When God told them not to look at the destruction when he rained down fire and brimstone ) God turned her into stone....AND what about all the other living things in those two towns/cities,cats,dogs,goats,chickens,etc etc etc.

Do they count as casualties ?

15 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

What about that guys wife (When God told them not to look at the destruction when he rained down fire and brimstone ) God turned her into stone....AND what about all the other living things in those two towns/cities,cats,dogs,goats,chickens,etc etc etc.

Do they count as casualties ?

A lot of people manage to justify the bombing of Hiroshima where 70 000 died and claim that it saved lives as it shortened the war.

Theoretically an Omniscient being would have been equally capable of predicting the human consequences of Sodom?

Servicemen who witnessed the Bikini island test were told to cover their eyes, to avoid the risk of blindness.

Thousands of animals were exposed to the blast at Nagasaki by the allies, to see the results.

The relevance of what God may or may not have done in actuality based on interpretations of the Bible have about as much relevance to everyday life as who is cooler, Thor or Zeus? People are here proposing arguments about a being they likely think does not exist using data from the Bible that they mistrust.

What I find the human brain is capable of taking on some amazing mindboggling beliefs. I suspect we are all capable of this.

This whole Abrahamic belief system thing is nuts.

• Like 1

On 19/08/2022 at 19:22, bielesibub said:

Love this thread, the god and the satan thing has always floated my boat (hence the ridiculous profile name). About 20 years ago I had a very interesting conversation with the door step Jehovahs witnesses about god vs satan, they bleated out that satan was responsible for some really horrid things - 'like what?', i asked - after some thinking, they came back with he got man cast out from the garden of eden. I nodded and enquired 'but who was it that destroyed whole cities? created plagues? poisoned his people? Drove people from their lands? demanded the first born of families? caused an almighty flood' - silence ...  'do you think you could be supporting the wrong team?', I enquired.

Brilliant. So their one example was not something that Satan did? :mrgreen:

• 2 weeks later...

So Pope Jean Paul I who was only Pope for 33 days is on his way to Sainthood as he performed a bona-fide miracle in curing an Argentinian girl. 

Who are they kidding. This is the modern world now, does anyone really believe he performed a miracle cure? 

If you tried to get it past the advertising standards authority they'd laugh you out of the building.  Drink Guinness, it's good for you. 

Can't believe they're still trying to create new saints and attributing miracles in this day and age. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

So Pope Jean Paul I who was only Pope for 33 days is on his way to Sainthood as he performed a bona-fide miracle in curing an Argentinian girl. 

Who are they kidding. This is the modern world now, does anyone really believe he performed a miracle cure? 

If you tried to get it past the advertising standards authority they'd laugh you out of the building.  Drink Guinness, it's good for you. 

Can't believe they're still trying to create new saints and attributing miracles in this day and age. 

Shame he couldn’t perform another miracle by raising from the dead and pointing the finger at the Cardinals that offed him.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, I do. Not looking to get in an argument, just saying that at least some people believe it. It’s also fine that you don’t

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, MNVillan said:

Yeah, I do. Not looking to get in an argument, just saying that at least some people believe it. It’s also fine that you don’t

Guinness? Or the nonsense about religious man pretending to cure someone? 

• 4 weeks later...

What I dont understand is what did god achieve by letting his son die on the cross.Did the world get a weekend free of crime etc ?

Also,I dont understand the big deal about "dying for us" .The way things are right now at Villa,I would gladly die on tuesday,come alive again on friday and watch Villa win on saturday.

Im sure,most of us would be quite happy to die for 3 days to get what we want ?! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

What I dont understand is what did god achieve by letting his son die on the cross.Did the world get a weekend free of crime etc ?

Also,I dont understand the big deal about "dying for us" .The way things are right now at Villa,I would gladly die on tuesday,come alive again on friday and watch Villa win on saturday.

Im sure,most of us would be quite happy to die for 3 days to get what we want ?! 

Yeah, he did have the cheat codes. 

• Like 1

Â