All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

There is a quote by Joseph Campbell that goes along the lines:

“Half the people in the world think that the metaphors of their religious traditions, for example, are facts. And the other half contends that they are not facts at all. As a result, we have people who consider themselves believers because they accept metaphors as facts, and we have others who classify themselves as atheists because they think religious metaphors are lies.”

Edited by fruitvilla

4 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

Im sure,most of us would be quite happy to die for 3 days to get what we want ?! 

You need to study your bible. That's just one of those things everyone knows which is simply wrong. Maybe a day and a half.

• Like 1

On 19/08/2022 at 12:54, mjmooney said:

Yeah, but Satan killed ten innocent victims. The 2,038,344 were obviously wrong 'uns. They'd transgressed the unwritten law. They were asking for it. 

Man United fans? 

On 28/09/2022 at 14:12, PussEKatt said:

What I dont understand is what did god achieve by letting his son die on the cross.Did the world get a weekend free of crime etc ?

Didn't he die to save out souls so people like Putin wouldn't exist.....oh wait... 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

12% jump in 'No Religion' in ten years is a big jump.  As somebody who isnt religious either even I'm surprised that it has moved that much in a relatively small time.  It will be eventually the dominant answer in this country obviously but I thought it would take more generations but it's moving quicker than I thought.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/culturalidentity/religion/bulletins/religionenglandandwales/census2021

religion.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

12% jump in 'No Religion' in ten years is a big jump.  As somebody who isnt religious either even I'm surprised that it has moved that much in a relatively small time.  It will be eventually the dominant answer in this country obviously but I thought it would take more generations but it's moving quicker than I thought.

Lots of old people in 2011 are now dead. I wouldn't be shocked to see another 10% shift in the 2031 census. The white christian identifying demographic is heavily stacked in the older age groups

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Lots of old people in 2011 are now dead. I wouldn't be shocked to see another 10% shift in the 2031 census. The white christian identifying demographic is heavily stacked in the older age groups

I’m not saying you’re wrong but there’s always a steady stream of new recruits. The churches my family members are (very) actively involved with are stacked with young families, all indoctrinating their children in their beliefs and all of the opinion that the world is against them. 

Just now, choffer said:

I’m not saying you’re wrong but there’s always a steady stream of new recruits. The churches my family members are (very) actively involved with are stacked with young families, all indoctrinating their children in their beliefs and all of the opinion that the world is against them. 

Yep, they'll all be using Elon Musk new phones ;) 

• Haha 1

Just now, bickster said:

Yep, they'll all be using Elon Musk new phones ;) 

I’ve long-since learned there’s no point engaging with them on certain subjects. I love them because they’re family but I do find a lot of it all very troubling. 
What I do find fascinating though is when you draw parallels between their Anglican/reformed theology/“evangelical” beliefs and those of the “Christian Right” in the US, they are utterly baffled that people would think they are one and the same. The differences are negligible but they are resolute in their belief that anything other than their form of faith is a perversion of the scriptures. (Even if they share so many core elements such as God being in charge, the whole free-will vs predestination, everyone should share their faith, etc etc). 
I’m going off on a tangent here but I find it all so fascinating (and worrying). 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

An atheist dies and goes to hell...

Satan welcomes him and says: "Let me show you around a little bit." They walk through a nice park with green trees and Satan shows him a huge palace. "This is your house now, here are your keys." The man is happy and thanks the devil. Satan says: "No need to say thank you, everyone gets a nice place to live in when they come down here!"

They continue walking through the nice park, flowers everywhere, and Satan shows the atheist a garage full of beautiful cars. "These are your cars now!" and hands the man all the car keys. Again, the atheist tries to thank Satan, but he only says "Everyone down here gets some cool cars! How would you drive around without having cars?".

They walk on and the area gets even nicer. There are birds chirping, squirrels running around; kittens everywhere. They arrive at a fountain, where the most beautiful woman the atheist has ever seen sits on a bench. She looks at him and they instantly fall in love with each other. The man couldn´t be any happier. Satan says "Everyone gets to have their soulmate down here, we don´t want anyone to be lonely!"

As they walk on, the atheist notices a high fence. He peeks to the other side and is totally shocked. There are people in pools of lava, screaming in pain, while little devils run around and stab them with their tridents. Other devils are skinning people alive, heads are spiked, and many more terrible things are happening. A stench of sulfur is in the air.

Terrified, the man stumbles backward, and asks Satan "What is going on there?"

And the punchline:

Spoiler

Satan just shrugs and says: "Those are the Christians, I don´t know why, but they prefer it that way."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 months later...

If the facts of this incident are even vaguely as reported, it's an outrage. This kind of sensitivity and unjustifiable respect to appease religious extremists has got absolutely no place in British schools. Couldn't give a toss if it's a Quran, Bible or...Whatever the others are.

https://humanists.uk/2023/02/27/shock-as-religious-groups-pressure-school-into-suspending-pupils-for-minor-damage-to-quran/

A school in Wakefield has taken the extraordinary step of suspending four pupils for slightly damaging a copy of the Quran. Kettlethorpe High School, which is a school with no religious character, acted under pressure from local Muslims, including local councillors and mosque leaders, after the book was apparently dropped on the floor, causing minor scuff marks to some pages and a small tear on the cover. Humanists UK, which campaigns for freedom of religion or belief in schools, and for an end to all blasphemy laws, said it was alarmed by the story, offered its support to the children’s families, and called upon the UK Government to voice support for the pupils and clarify guidance for schools.

The incident came about after one pupil from a non-Muslim family who, according to his mother, has high-functioning autism, lost while playing a video game and was challenged as a ‘dare’ by a winning pupil to buy a Quran and bring it into school. He had bought a Bible earlier that week. The head has said there was ‘no ill intent’ on the part of the pupils involved.

When news emerged about the incident, the pupils received death threats. One of the boys’ mothers then appeared at a news conference alongside police in the local mosque, apologising for her child’s ‘disrespectful’ behaviour and seeking forgiveness from the community. No indication thus far has been forthcoming from the police that they intend to investigate the violent threats to the children. The mother has said that she does not want to press charges.

The story is the most recent in Yorkshire involving overreactions from religious groups, after a teacher in Batley was suspended, and remains in hiding two years later, for showing a depiction of the prophet Muhammed in a lesson on free speech in an open society.

Great Britain does not have any blasphemy laws (although Northern Ireland unfortunately still does).

• Like 1

Â