All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

“I have read your site for some time, but this is my first time writing you.  My wife and I have been married a year.  She is 18 and I am 24. Now I am trying to get my wife to follow her role as I begin to assume my role as leader.   I am six years older than her, but that seems to just make it worse.  She keeps saying “You are not my father!”  She was raised in a strict family and I guess she thinks now that she is married, she is free from all authority.   I have recently put both of us on a budget.  I have created a budget and I keep my side, but she keeps overspending on hers. 

I read your article on 7 ways to discipline your wife and you recommend taking away her debit card.  I know I could do this, but in my view, that should be the last option.   I am considering starting spanking her.  I have mentioned it to her, not on the budget, but in general and she is against it.  She thinks spanking is treating her like a child. 

Biblical Gender Roles

• Haha 4

On 09/08/2020 at 02:28, villakram said:

What did their girlfriends, daughters and wives think of it?

With feminism and the gender equality movement it's like throwing stones from a glass house if you ask me.

I only know one devout Muslim woman well, she's such a beautiful soul, but we've never really discussed the treatment or role of women in Islam too extensively.

I know she is comfortable with men being masculine and leaders, but this is more specific to dating and her relationship to her step-father than in relation to her faith.

The only other comment I can think of worthy of adding in reply to yours, is I have a neighbor who is Muslim, very strict and overbearing man.

We get along because I have helped him out at his house on a few occasions and stayed for tea and conversation, but both his children left home early bitterly, no contact to this day.

His daughter went on to produce documentaries and movies which have been shown worldwide and won awards, but I'm quite confident she never renounced her religion.

His son got his ear pierced, and that's the reason his father told him he was ashamed of him and the cause of their falling out. I don't think the son is a practicing Muslim.

• Like 1

On 10/08/2020 at 10:37, Xann said:

If there was a vomiting my guts out reaction I'd use that.

My father was a very devout Jew, however he never ever forced any of us kids, his wife or anyone in the family into anything. He explained this with the fact that religion should be something you adopt because you want to. He focused on making the holidays and religious events fun and positive and turned the religious part of our lives into more of a family oriented experience. To this day I don't really practice my religion much other than the 'big' events in life, but I do think that having some sort of spirituality in my life is important. 

If he ever tried to spank my mother she'd probably punch him straight to the prayer-beads as it were.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

If there was a vomiting my guts out reaction I'd use that.

My father was a very devout Jew, however he never ever forced any of us kids, his wife or anyone in the family into anything. He explained this with the fact that religion should be something you adopt because you want to. He focused on making the holidays and religious events fun and positive and turned the religious part of our lives into more of a family oriented experience. To this day I don't really practice my religion much other than the 'big' events in life, but I do think that having some sort of spirituality in my life is important. 

If he ever tried to spank my mother she'd probably punch him straight to the prayer-beads as it were.

We all know you don't mess with Jewish mothers. 

• Like 1

EfPk2WpWsAAxEPn?format=png&name=large

I didn’t mean to post it without attributing the quote, but now i have, anybody want a punt...?

I’d expect those with twitter have already seen it there.

Answer is:

Spoiler

Nick Cave

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

EfPk2WpWsAAxEPn?format=png&name=large

I didn’t mean to post it without attributing the quote, but now i have, anybody want a punt...?

I’d expect those with twitter have already seen it there.

Answer is:

Reveal hidden contents

Nick Cave

Is this the same guy that sang the cover of Avalanche for Black Sails? What a haunting song. 

17 hours ago, A'Villan said:

With feminism and the gender equality movement it's like throwing stones from a glass house if you ask me.

I only know one devout Muslim woman well, she's such a beautiful soul, but we've never really discussed the treatment or role of women in Islam too extensively.

I know she is comfortable with men being masculine and leaders, but this is more specific to dating and her relationship to her step-father than in relation to her faith.

The only other comment I can think of worthy of adding in reply to yours, is I have a neighbor who is Muslim, very strict and overbearing man.

We get along because I have helped him out at his house on a few occasions and stayed for tea and conversation, but both his children left home early bitterly, no contact to this day.

His daughter went on to produce documentaries and movies which have been shown worldwide and won awards, but I'm quite confident she never renounced her religion.

His son got his ear pierced, and that's the reason his father told him he was ashamed of him and the cause of their falling out. I don't think the son is a practicing Muslim.

I appreciate your answer as this topic is such a minefield... but, I don't think the comparison of the issues in society represented/exemplified by #MeToo can be compared to or is useful to compare to the religious subjugation of the female gender.

I went for coffee with a XXXX today, and found to my surprise to be a nice and genuine individual. Insert appropriate religious sect and see how that works. Says it all really.

Taking pleasure from inviting JWs in, for coffee and a chat/education doesn't count.

1 hour ago, villakram said:

Taking pleasure from inviting JWs in, for coffee and a chat/education doesn't count.

If this was a sport, I'd take it up as a hobby and hope to compete at a very high level in no time at all

• Haha 1

We had a conversation on one of the bolitics threads about whether or not we could have friends with very different views from ours - I think it was @tonyh29 who was taking us lefties to task for living in echo chambers. And I must admit, it's true for me. Most, if not all my friends are certainly left of centre. And it's true for religion as well. Not all my friends are card-carrying atheists, but none of them seriously practice any religion. They do come from diverse backgrounds, including Catholics, Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs and Jews - but they are all 'lapsed', if they ever practiced in the first place. Maybe it's narrow-minded of me, but I just don't think I can relate to serious 'believers' at all. 

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

We had a conversation on one of the bolitics threads about whether or not we could have friends with very different views from ours - I think it was @tonyh29 who was taking us lefties to task for living in echo chambers. And I must admit, it's true for me. Most, if not all my friends are certainly left of centre. And it's true for religion as well. Not all my friends are card-carrying atheists, but none of them seriously practice any religion. They do come from diverse backgrounds, including Catholics, Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs and Jews - but they are all 'lapsed', if they ever practiced in the first place. Maybe it's narrow-minded of me, but I just don't think I can relate to serious 'believers' at all. 

Wasn’t really taking to task , just found it strange , I’d kinda expect to see at least a small variation in a circle of friends ...I’m in Tory heartland but in my friends , those that vote labour is probably actually higher than those that vote Tory ... along with some Greens and Libs ... probably even a few Brexit party if they were still a thing ... literally about as diverse a political spectrum as you could get . 

religion wise I’m probably the same as you , I know  loads of different diverse backgrounds but don’t think any of them are hard core as such ... though a lot of my wife’s Hungarian side are quite devout Catholic .... they know I’m not religious but I’m so wonderful I get a free pass :) ... but yeah I suspect a serious religious person wouldn’t like elements of  my lifestyle and we’d find it hard to be proper friends !! 

34 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I've shared a pint with Ghengis Khan a few times, mind you he comes from down south and drinks shandy

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I've shared a pint with Ghengis Khan a few times, mind you he comes from down south and drinks shandy

the Villa games We met at I probably did drink actual shandy as I would have been driving .... but when we went on our pub crawl around Liverpool I could swear blind you were also drinking lager :) 

Â