All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

You also don't have to accept that claim. I don't accept it because of the nebulous nature of the claim itself

Ok, what book do you see as more influential? Why do you disagree with the claim that the bible is (for better or worse) the most important book in the history?

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

Ok, what book do you see as more influential? Why do you disagree with the claim that the bible is (for better or worse) the most important book in the history?

Which one of these is the claim for starters? which version of the Bible is it you are talking about? The Bible isn't one book, it is thousands of different books all written to suit different agendas. there is no constant definitive bible

It's clearly been a massively important and influential book across the globe.

To argue otherwise would be perverse. It doesn't mean it has to be popular here, or original or accurate. It simply means it's shaped entire continents. More so than any other text. I don't see what there is to argue with?

Are the VT atheists really arguing it doesn't contain incredible stories? Or that it hasn't influenced them? Or that its texts havent been studied for thousands of years?

Name a more influential book.

Mao's little red book? Origin of Species? Catcher in the Rye? Granth Sahib?

I can't think of anything that comes close. Even the original versions of texts and stories contained within it, on their own haven't had the reach of the bible.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

To argue otherwise would be perverse. It doesn't mean it has to be popular here, or original or accurate. It simply means it's shaped entire continents. More so than any other text. I don't see what there is to argue with?

Are the VT atheists really arguing it doesn't contain incredible stories? Or that it hasn't influenced them? Or that its texts havent been studied for thousands of years?

I can't think of anything that comes close. Even the original versions of texts and stories contained within it, on their own haven't had the reach of the bible.

I really don't know how you can argue against the above.

Well, you can, however I am yet to hear an argument that would go against the fact that the Bible (Old Testament, New Testament or combined) is the most important (again, for better or worse) written word of all time.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Why? Is Bible not the most important book in the history of mankind?

You don't have to be religious at all to accept that claim. In fact, you can be a stone cold atheist. 

No it is not the most important book in the history of mankind ......

2 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Could you please give an example of a more important book in history?

Edited by Mic09

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

go on then, what's the correct answer

Not aimed at you specifically, but I think some might be thinking the claim is that it's the best most brilliant original and true book ever.

That's not what was said.

Just now, Mic09 said:

Could you please give an example of a more important book in history?

By important, I mean influential, having the widest reach, the most commonly read, being written and influenced by the widest number of people. 

That is your definition of important, it is clear that we are going to disagree so let's not waste each other's time.

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

go on then, what's the correct answer

Not aimed at you specifically, but I think some might be thinking the claim is that it's the best most brilliant original and true book ever.

That's not what was said.

Harry Potter!

That is your definition of important, it is clear that we are going to disagree so let's not waste each other's time.

That's what a forum is about - discussion. 

Could you please give an example of a more important book in the human history?

Just now, Mic09 said:

That's what a forum is about - discussion. 

Could you please give an example of a more important book in the human history?

You've defined what you believe to be important, you're controlling the boundaries of the topic. Therefore it isnt a discussion.

Harry Potter!

Ok - book of a boy fighting evil, sacrificing himself to save his friends and loved ones against all odds. Book where people believe in supernatural and mythical and where symbolism runs so deep, it reaches the foundations of what we perceive as good and bad.

His father and mother have given their life to save Harry. 

Sounds a bit like a story that was covered in the bible a long time ago.  

Harry Potter!

Well, I think the Aztecs and the Incas would probably disagree.

I'm not sure it had much impact on the Holy Roman Empire either. Or birth control in Africa. 

But yeah, if that's where you're at, that's cool. 

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

You've defined what you believe to be important, you're controlling the boundaries of the topic. Therefore it isnt a discussion.

That is my definition - please feel free to give your definition and let's see if we can find some common ground.

It's an open discussion. This is not aimed at you, but I absolutely hate when people want a conversation and say 'this is shit' 'this is not true' 'you are wrong'.

Argue your point!

4 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

That is my definition - please feel free to give your definition and let's see if we can find some common ground.

It's an open discussion. This is not aimed at you, but I absolutely hate when people want a conversation and say 'this is shit' 'this is not true' 'you are wrong'.

Argue your point!

In your original post you made it clear you think my opinion and anyone who disagrees with you are wrong..... I absolutely hate when people state their opinion as fact and then use condescending and patronising means to push the agenda ......

PS this isn't aimed at you.

Edited by Villan_of_oz

22 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

This is correct. The two stances taken above (it's one of the most influential books in human history AND it's a jumble of irrelevant bits of propaganda) are in no way mutually exclusive. As an anthology of historical literature I find it absolutely fascinating; as a theological rulebook, not at all. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

In your original post you made it clear you think my opinion and anyone who disagrees with you are wrong..... I absolutely hate when people state their opinion as fact and then use condescending and patronising means to push the agenda ......

PS this isn't aimed at you.

Ok, so we are not going to have a discussion. I said why I disagree. I was expecting to find a common ground or a reason why you don't see the Bible as the most important book in history. I thought that is what a forum is for. If you don't want to give your reasons, that is fine.

Nice use of sarcasm by the way.

More people have lived in the last 100 years than have ever lived in the history of the human race, so I'm going for the Communist Manifesto being as there are 1.5 Billion people in China alone (directly living under the influence of a form of communism) and about 2 Billion Chistians in the world but many of those Christians are of the type that really don't let their religion get in the way of what they want to do and largely ignore it because saying they are is just an easy label for themselves. then you'd have to shout for the Koran given there are 1.6 Billion Muslims in worrld and Muslims tend to be much more devout that Christians

Saying the Bible is the most influential or important book in the world is just looking from a Western Christian perspective. The claim is nonsense

but it is hard to say it is not hugely influential. The fact that that it has been based upon ludicrous superstition and ignorance and has mostly been a useful tool for controlling and enforcing conformism within societies remains a tragedy that has endowed us with a massive embuggerance in terms of trying to undo the messy consequences of its poison pen bollocks

Â