All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

I was watching this video earlier, I'd never heard of an Eruv before. It's a bit mental.

It seems to me that if I were an omniscient, omnipotent being who'd given my mortals a set of rules to follow, and they circumvented one by claiming that an entire region of a city were their personal space, I'd tell them they were taking the piss, and send them to the bad place.

For people so determined to follow the rules, they sure are fine playing wordgames to get around them so they can do things they want to do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I was watching this video earlier, I'd never heard of an Eruv before. It's a bit mental.

It seems to me that if I were an omniscient, omnipotent being who'd given my mortals a set of rules to follow, and they circumvented one by claiming that an entire region of a city were their personal space, I'd tell them they were taking the piss, and send them to the bad place.

For people so determined to follow the rules, they sure are fine playing wordgames to get around them so they can do things they want to do. 

I remember discussing this with a Jewish workmate. He thought it was mental too. 

7 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Judaism doesn't really have a bad place. When they trick their all seeing, all knowing god using a piece of wire, nothing happens. It's almost like you could leave the whole god part out altogether.

Just don't read about their magic sin cancelling chicken mutilation.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 04/03/2022 at 02:22, cyrusr said:

I’ve had a knock on the door from .... the Christian Peoples Alliance

I always have fun chatting with these types, doing my civic duty and keeping them as long as possible.

Asking them which bits of Deuteronomy they agree with, do the really believe the whole world was flooded, do they believe an angel came Mary and foretold of a parthenogenetic birth and if so how can I believe anything they say? But in my part of the world it's more religious than political.  

• 1 month later...

This is a real one that I’d love to see some sort of documentary on 

How real is Jesus Christ?

Like how much actual evidence is there for him and what he did. 

My presumption is he was a real person, and that some of the stuff he did was true, but obviously a lot of it is bullshit. 

So based on actual historic evidence, who was he and what did he actually do?

i find that fascinating

44 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Archaeological evidence - none

Contemporaneous written evidence -  none

Written evidence starts to appear a few decades after his supposed death but these are Christian documents, the first non-Christian known to write about him is around 100 years after his supposed death

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

My presumption is he was a real person, and that some of the stuff he did was true, but obviously a lot of it is bullshit. 

i find that fascinating

I doubt there is any evidence of existence.  But there is ample historical evidence to disprove parts of his life.  For instance there was never a census held in Bethlehem which required people who were born there to return. 

There were loads of millennial cults and would be messiahs at that time. The Romans were routinely crucifying potential threats to their authority all the time. My guess is that the JC narrative is probably a garbled amalgam of several of them, essentially the meme that gained the most traction, and continued to be embellished by its cult members. It probably succeeded because of its pacifist elements - "render unto Caesar that which is due to Caesar", turn the other cheek, put up with the torture and persecution, because you'll get your reward in heaven. Once the Roman empire adopted it as a state religion, its success was assured. Naturally, its adherents immediately started splitting into rival factions and killing each other. 

Edited by mjmooney

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

i find that fascinating

He definitely parted the sea 👍

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

i find that fascinating

None.

The evidence for the existence of Jesus is entirely third party references in the aftermath of his supposed death, the earliest of which is decades after he is said to have died, and the fact Christianity exists. There's as much evidence that Spider-Man exists.

Christianity having remarkable similarities to many other religions and mythologies that were existent prior to it would raise question marks against how true it is.

39 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

If God decreed "Thou shalt not kill" why did he kill so many people in the bible.  

Let's start with killing the entire population of the world except Noah and his family.  

Did Noah actually exist. I mean you'd need a pretty good carpenter to build a boat to carry all those animals. 😆

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

None.

The evidence for the existence of Jesus is entirely third party references in the aftermath of his supposed death, the earliest of which is decades after he is said to have died, and the fact Christianity exists. There's as much evidence that Spider-Man exists.

Christianity having remarkable similarities to many other religions and mythologies that were existent prior to it would raise question marks against how true it is.

As childrens bed time stories go why is it that the most boring book seemingly became the most popular? 

The logic behind the Greek and Roman gods also seems far more sound, can't explain something? there's a god for that mate 

Having done some googling the generally accepted “facts” are that he existed, he was a Galilean Jew, he was baptised by John the Baptist and he was crucified. And that’s basically it in terms of there being a consensus.

Then the other things that are accepted with varying degrees of certainty are that

he was born between 7 and 2 BC and died 30 - 36 AD

He had disciples

He caused some sort of controversy at a temple. Then a few other details about what language he spoke and where he lived etc

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

If God decreed "Thou shalt not kill" why did he kill so many people in the bible.  

Let's start with killing the entire population of the world except Noah and his family.  

As with all abusive authority figures,do as he says, not as he does :)

Â