All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

2 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I'm not sure who he is? I'm going to take a wild guess and say he is British...

He is currently the Reverend Richard Coles, he was formerly half of the '80s pop combo The Communards with Jimmy Summerville. He is also gay

12 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

People don't believe in climate change which is clearly visible, but a bunch of nonsense written by power hungry men thousands of years ago.....

PS I'd rather spend my time talking with a gay person, than someone who follows the bible!

I'd rather spend my time with people that don't pre judge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Nice bloke it has to be said.

Have you met him? He comes across as pretty affable on radio and TV, but that's not always reliable. 

26 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I'd rather spend my time with people that don't pre judge.

So do I, hence my issue with people who follow the bible. It's a book full of instruction on how to pre judge people.

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Have you met him? He comes across as pretty affable on radio and TV, but that's not always reliable. 

Yes a few times back in the Communards days. I ended up doing a bit of ancilliary work on quite a few dates of theirs (Crash barriers) so I'd be around backstage before and after shows. We chatted a couple of times and were on nodding terms for a while

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Basing my opinion of someone on a 10 second meeting 40 years ago... he was part of Red Wedge back in the day and stayed at the hotel I was working at. Most people struggle to give eye contact. He handed his key in and paused in a crowd to say thank you.

It impressed me enough at the time to stick with me. Plenty of others were too busy or too shy or too in their own world to just say thanks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Basing my opinion of someone on a 10 second meeting 40 years ago... he was part of Red Wedge back in the day and stayed at the hotel I was working at. Most people struggle to give eye contact. He handed his key in and paused in a crowd to say thank you.

It impressed me enough at the time to stick with me. Plenty of others were too busy or too shy or too in their own world to just say thanks.

Yes, that sounds just like him. He was never the superstar type, just a genuinely nice person

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Yes, that sounds just like him. He was never the superstar type, just a genuinely nice person

Sounds well cut out to be a C of E vicar (for those that go in for that sort of nonsense). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

So do I, hence my issue with people who follow the bible. It's a book full of instruction on how to pre judge people.

The most influential book in human history which gives us insight into the lives of people and their beliefs 3000-2000 years ago, which has built foundation for current culture and the entire world's civilisation.

The book that passes on incredible stories that we still live today, and beliefs that are shared by peoples of all religions and atheists alike.

The most incredible insight into the foundation of world conflicts and answers of how people perceived each other in the olden days.

The most studied historical document ever, and a catalyst for change for billions of people across the world.

Like it or not, there are many lessons (historical, cultural, psychological, archaeological, political) that we can get from that book without necessarily having to praise Jesus. I recommend reading it once again, but without 'pre judging' as you clearly don't like to do that.  

Edited by Mic09

Just now, bickster said:

What utter rubbish, its been rewritten that many times to suit that many agendas that its the ancient equivalent of Katie Hopkins tweet

It has been rewritten many times  - and that's exactly the reason why it's such a valuable document from a historical perspective. 

13 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

The most influential book in human history which gives us insight into the lives of people and their beliefs 3000-2000 years ago, which has built foundation for current culture and the entire world's civilisation.

The book that passes on incredible stories that we still live today, and beliefs that are shared by peoples of all religions and atheists alike.

The most incredible insight into the foundation of world conflicts and answers of how people perceived each other in the olden days.

The most studied historical document ever, and a catalyst for change for billions of people across the world.

Like it or not, there are many lessons (historical, cultural, psychological, archaeological, political) that we can get from that book without necessarily having to praise Jesus. I recommend reading it once again, but without 'pre judging' as you clearly don't like to do that.  

Total and utter nonsense

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Total and utter nonsense

Why? Is Bible not the most important book in the history of mankind?

You don't have to be religious at all to accept that claim. In fact, you can be a stone cold atheist. 

3 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

You don't have to be religious at all to accept that claim. In fact, you can be a stone cold atheist. 

You also don't have to accept that claim. I don't accept it because of the nebulous nature of the claim itself

Â