All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

Had my first evidently Jehovah's Witness call in years this morning. Bloke spent the entire time talking to me like he wanted to break into tears. Was surprised I felt so strongly about things.

I wasn't as outrightly hostile as I was last time they knocked years back but I reckon I've got the pleasure of watching them walk by the house for the foreseeable.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't make this up...

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2019/11/14/archdiocese-detroit-priest-sued-over-maison-hullibarger-funeral/4194365002/

"The mother of a Michigan teenager who killed himself is suing the Archdiocese of Detroit for alleged harm she suffered during his funeral when a priest questioned whether her son would go to heaven."

1 hour ago, villakram said:

Couldn't make this up...

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2019/11/14/archdiocese-detroit-priest-sued-over-maison-hullibarger-funeral/4194365002/

"The mother of a Michigan teenager who killed himself is suing the Archdiocese of Detroit for alleged harm she suffered during his funeral when a priest questioned whether her son would go to heaven."

If she were an evangelical she would have just accepted it as part of God's plan.

14 hours ago, villakram said:

Couldn't make this up...

I see nothing wrong here. Suing the Catholic Church for the harm they do should be everyone's duty

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Bible That Oozed Oil

'In the summer of 2016, God gave Johnny Taylor a prophecy. It wasn’t a specific vision, but something more like a promise. After the presidential election that fall, so the prophecy went, God would begin to “position” Johnny and his group of friends to do great things. Months later, when Donald Trump won—no surprise to Johnny—God provided another message: After the inauguration, he said, “I’ll show you what I’m doing.”

Trump was inaugurated on Friday, Jan. 20, 2017. On Monday night, as they did most evenings, Johnny and a small, informal prayer group met to pray in the backroom of a small Christian gift shop called Grace 251. Johnny’s girlfriend, Leslie, was there, along with her father, John Barker, and their friend Jerry Pearce and his wife, Joyce. They usually broke up by 8:30, but on this night they kept praying until after midnight. At one point, Jerry fell down on the floor for 45 minutes in a kind of catatonic state that he describes as being “out in the Spirit.” Within a few days, he told me, he opened his Bible to Psalm 39—an uneasy poem of both praise and gloom that includes the words “every man at his best state is but vapor”—and noticed a small spot of oil. Joyce assured him the grandkids hadn’t been near the book. It could only have come from God.

From then on, more oil appeared almost every time Jerry picked up the Bible, a leather-bound copy of the New King James translation. The oil moved to the back of the book, saturated the endpapers—a heart-shaped splotch appeared over a map of Israel—and then started at the beginning, in Genesis 1. Eventually Jerry had to put the book in a Ziploc bag, and then in a large plastic bin he bought at Tractor Supply.'

You'll never guess how the story ends! https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/02/oil-bible-dalton-georgia-trump-prophecy-evangelical-miracle.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

In a rare piece of good news in 2020, Sudan has joined the modern world, rolled back Islamist laws, and will no longer be banning women from travelling without male approval, publicly flogging people, or killing apostates. Bit late, but welcome to the 21st century. 

There are still a couple of dozen countries who have the death penalty on the books for people who renounce their religion, no prizes for guessing which religion, but it's certainly a step in the right direction.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

My experience of Islam and Muslims is for the most part quite endearing.

I've met well in the hundreds and I have dozens who I would call my friends, some my best friends. I tell all of them, I don't profess to understand their religion, and that I have very different beliefs to them. And we still get along great. The extreme in my experience only resides on the television screens in countries that are impoverished and in turmoil from conflict. 

I spent 4 hours being educated about Islam by a dear friend over some halal cuisine and afterwards Shisha. It's pretty interesting when you study it. His main message to me was this, "Most Muslims are not Muslim by choice, and most Muslims don't understand what it means to be Muslim, so how can they practice it? They've never learnt the history or done the study."

*Cue commentary that it's all fanatical fantasy that the world could do without.*

• Like 1

8 hours ago, A'Villan said:

My experience of Islam and Muslims is for the most part quite endearing.

I've met well in the hundreds and I have dozens who I would call my friends, some my best friends. I tell all of them, I don't profess to understand their religion, and that I have very different beliefs to them. And we still get along great. The extreme in my experience only resides on the television screens in countries that are impoverished and in turmoil from conflict. 

I spent 4 hours being educated about Islam by a dear friend over some halal cuisine and afterwards Shisha. It's pretty interesting when you study it. His main message to me was this, "Most Muslims are not Muslim by choice, and most Muslims don't understand what it means to be Muslim, so how can they practice it? They've never learnt the history or done the study."

*Cue commentary that it's all fanatical fantasy that the world could do without.*

What did their girlfriends, daughters and wives think of it?

Â