General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

So by my guess the Norwegian league is probably approximately equivalent to the quality of upper league 1, lower championship. If we were courting a manager from these depths of the English league everyone would crucify Randy, but because it’s a league we rarely (lets face it NEVER) hear about suddenly it’s exciting and daring. Please no. Winning a crap league does not make you ready for the prem and having playing experience in a league is not a substitute for managing in that league. That being said if Martin Larsen is involved I would forgive a lot of that. Love that guy. :oops:

Paul Lambert was in League 1 24 months ago.

Nigel Adkins was in League 1 12 months ago

Brendan Rodgers spent the 3 seasons in the mid-lower Championship

Brian McDermott was a scout for the last 10 years and then took over Reading in 2009

All in the Premiership next season. Time for us to look forwards. Im up for Olé

Cologne are completely dysfunctional as a club. They're like Newcastle were a couple of years back - big club, massive fanbase, over-inflated opinion of themselves, too many uncommitted high earners on the books.

They were completely unmanageable last season.

With the players at their disposal, even accounting for the passengers and the under-performers, they still shouldn't have gone down. They were tactically inept to the point of absurdity, and Solbakken couldn't organise a defence to save his life. They condeded a whopping 75 goals. Seventy-five. No other team in the top 3 tiers of the German league managed to concede more goals last season (possibly even beyond that, but I can't be arsed to check the Regionalliga) and it's been 7 years since a team last conceded that many goals in an 1.Liga campaign.

Shite as the goat-shaggers may be (and as much as I enjoyed watching them plummet downwards like a lead-lined sack of crap), Solbakken was well out of his depth.

Well, I've just found a German team who managed to concede more than Köln. TSV Gersthofen, in the Bayernliga; the fifth tier of the German league system (and even they managed to score more goals than Köln :lol:).

whilst debating OGS and the minor league he manages in - wasnt Arsene Wenger working in Japan when he got the Arsenal job - did he do much previously in France?

OGS would definitely be diffrent i still havent forgiven him for that 94th minute goal at OT when we had gabor Kiraly in goal (the one who wore pyjames). as soon as he came on you knew he would score, despite isiah, cahill and ridgewell playing pretty well for a depleted team!

so are we saying Solsjkaer is like Solbakken?

I think we're merely speculating/stating that Solbakken had a fantastic record before he stepped up a level at Cologne.

And then he bombed. Badly.

So is OSG the 'new' Solbakken? Or is he more than that?

wasnt Arsene Wenger working in Japan when he got the Arsenal job - did he do much previously in France?

Wenger was at Monaco wasn't he? Or am I imagining that?

Wasn't he at VP when we played Monaco in a friendly at VP in the early 90s? And played them off the park I add.

Or did my fevered imagination make all that up??

so are we saying Solsjkaer is like Solbakken?
I'm not talking about Solkskjaer at all, it's just I keep seeing folk opine that we should have looked at Solbakken at some point; I'm proferring that we shouldn't touch him with a lengthy bargepole (which we didn't, so happy days).

Paul Lambert was in League 1 24 months ago.

Nigel Adkins was in League 1 12 months ago

Brendan Rodgers spent the 3 seasons in the mid-lower Championship

Brian McDermott was a scout for the last 10 years and then took over Reading in 2009

All in the Premiership next season. Time for us to look forwards. Im up for Olé

I suspect Lerner has looked at those managers and what they have done for clubs on limited budgets and thought " Why not follow that model"

OGS used to keep notes as a player on every match he played in and things he spotted and things he would have done differently

Now , that alone doesn't automatically mean he will become a great manager but it does sound like someone who is going to be tactically astute and has an idea of where he wants to be

I think he would be a good fit for us , and not just because i jumped on the betting bandwagon :-)

Whilst its quite an exciting appointent (if it comes to that) his work with Manu reserves, - would suggest that the club are still trying to build a premier league team from the academy, rather than investing in the team.

As I have said repeatedly the clubs expectations of our young players are unrealistic - if that is to be the mainstay of our team - I fear disaster - no matter who the manager.

I think OSG knows more about this country than Solbakken knew about Germany. OSG knows our club as he has played at VP many a time, he knows how the media, everything works in this country, so i think if he did come it wouldn't be a culture shock. To be honest its no worse than what we had last season, managers like Lambert, Martinez are sitting in their comfort zones and probably wondering do we want it? Or they've just not been approached. Personally if Randy has flew out, it's because the deal is done, also to the person asking why Randy has flew out, i think it's in terms of respect, Molde are in their season.

so looking at this differently, will OGS be willing to come to Villa?

he's been at Molde 1 year of a 3-year contract, does he want to carry on what he is building there?

Will he think its too early to come back to the Prem League?