General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

OGS is not the sort of character you want in the trenches with you when you're in a relegation scrap, which lets face it, is a distinct possibility again next season if the transfer budget is £8m

Would much prefer Ranieri

OGS is not the sort of character you want in the trenches with you when you're in a relegation scrap, which lets face it, is a distinct possibility again next season if the transfer budget is £8m

What the hell do you know of his character?

I'm very excited about the prospect of ole gunnar solskjaer. We haven't got the financial muscle so I think we need to try and find a potential world class manager on their way up.

He got his coaching badges at Man United under Fergie.

It would be an appointment I could get fully behind while he builds a squad over a few years.

What the hell do you know of his character?

And from which orafice did you pull the figure of £8m for our transfer budget?

That's an opinion based on nothing. I'd have been slightly more worried had your posts been supportive of the appointment :P

Wot is this rumour based on - has Randys jet been scheduled to fly somewhere ? - or have the odds just tumbled ?

TheTrees has confirm RL is due to fly out that way and he is led to believe its to visit OGS.

Mate, I often stick up for you, but if the first part of this posting is a strange observation, the last four words make it completely bizarre.

OGS is the right fit for both parties. He will work extremely hard to bring decent progress and success to a second tier 'big club', so that he is in the frame when the biggest job of all comes up in a few years time.

Plus the fact I stand to make decent money :winkold:

wtf???

yeah he showed throughout his playign career that he had no character whatsoever. (sarcasm)

how do you know our budget is £8m???

again the club have said "YOUNG", "ENTHUSIASTIC", "VIBRANT"

claudio ranieri is not young or vibrant. he is still enthusiastic i'll give you that but he's looking for his last chance, we're looking for someone on the up!

With regards to Ole Gunnar Solskjær, I do not think he is ready for this challenge and I do not think he will leave Norway just yet.

He is very reflected and a total gentleman, but his path to FK Molde's first league trophy was somewhat given to him easily. Him coming home was a huge boost to the entire city, he is a legend after all. On top of that, they had the most money and the best players and squad available. When you think about the Norwegian league you automatically think about Rosenborg, but they were in a decline last season and struggled the whole year. Molde got off to a good start and just continued. The perfect blend between the old guard and new talent, as well as spending money to get that extra ability on top. It takes very little to compete in Norway, a few signings and every team is capable of winning if you ask me - and I am Norwegian. Molde were favs from day 1 last season and everyone predicted them on top, and they won in the end. Of course, you have to play the games and you have to control your players, but it was not like he took the 6th best team and turned them in to champions.

So what I mean is that Solskjær has not really been through tough times yet, and they will come this season as Rosenborg is back on its feet (it would seem). Very, very few Norwegian managers have gone from the Tippeliga to the bigger European leagues. Ståle Solbakken did immensely well in Denmark (again, with the best team, expected to win every season regardless) - then he flopped with Köln where he had a crap squad and European qual. aspirations. With Wolves he is in the second tier, and I think that will suit him well.

Solskjær's managerial capabilities is down to what he has learnt from Fergie and players like Scholes and Giggs. However, that was Manchester United in the most advanced setup and most consistent team the world has seen in the modern era. They always had money to challenge whatever team gave them a challenge so to speak, and that is not Aston Villa. Is he a motivator? Maybe, but all the reputation he has now is down to the fact that he did brilliantly as a sub, that never became disgruntled because he didn't start a match. As a tough manager making his demands vocal enough? Not for me, I think he is too soft for such a job, at least now.

Turn things around, ship Martinez to the Norwegian league and he would have been a legend in an instant. Solskjær has been given everything on a silver platter after his retirement, and deservedly so, but it is very hard to judge him now based on his achievements.

My theory now is that Lerner has reached a crossroad. Keep investing in Villa or sell up? I was certain it was the latter 6 months ago, but either he has struggled to find a buyer or he has gotten new motivation. He knows very well that a) we cannot compete for the Champions League right now and B) without some investment we are going to be a pain in the ass for him and eventually maybe relegate as we almost did this season. I think we will get an exciting manager this season, my bet is on Martinez, and I think that individual will be the one that spends the most money outside the top clubs. I think we will net something like 25-30M on players, if the manager finds the right players. It does not take much for us to challenge Everton and Newcastle if you think about it. It takes that vital bit of spending, but not 100M. I do not recall where people expected Newcastle to finish this season, but I guess I had them at around 10th to 12th like everyone else. I also expected us from 10th to 15th. A few gems and we are there - in football things change in a second...

I think this post has become relevant again. Although I do have it from other Norwegian footy fans that you're being overly harsh on OGS and the title was certainly nothing like the foregone conclusion that you're painting it out to be. Not least because they'd never won it before. And despite being rich, Molde actually spent sod all.