General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

I'd much rather get someone that could turn out to be great than someone who we know would be average at beast, i.e. Curbs.

Exactly. He may be a gamble but I'm O.K with that. Mangers with big reps dont always work out. I like the idea of using a bit of imagination rather than going for somebody steady, uninspiring and average.

He wouldn't be my first choice, I'm not even sure he's theirs, but bring it on.

As for prefering Curbishley. What a cleft.

i agree with both these posts.

this is the most excited i've been about Villa in almost 2 years!

There are some fabulous restaurants in Oslo so lets hope Lerner has just popped over for lunch with his Mrs

with Faulkner as well? :winkold:

oh, and i thought he doesn't have a missus anymore since his divorce?

or has he found someone else...

:offtopic: :bonk:

Although I would be somewhat contented by this appointment, I do find it amusing how some people are claiming 'we need a man for 3-5 years' when if, let's say, we do exceptionally well and overachieve, this guy will be off faster than you can bat an eye lid. There's only one club that this guy holds in his heart, and here's a hint, it ain't Molde FK.

If that means 1 or 2 years of relative success for us then i'd take it. It's a big gamble though.

..and I base this on.. absolutely nothing.

I think it's jumping the gun a fair bit, but let's say we did get OGS, he did do really well and then after two or three years Fergie retires and Man Utd approach us to take him. Well, if Man Utd want him, then he must have done a good job in those few years managing us, meaning we'll no doubt be in a much more promising position and in a much better state as a club in all aspects.

You can't avoid doing things in the present just because of things that MIGHT happen in the future.

If he wants to come then I say give him a shot. From the bits and pieces I've seen on him as a manager I'm very impressed so far.

If I was a young manager I would avoid Villa like the plague, despite some people claiming we are a big illustrious club the simple fact is that it really is a shit job, a really really shit job.

The simple fact is that is rubbish.

Although I would be somewhat contented by this appointment, I do find it amusing how some people are claiming 'we need a man for 3-5 years' when if, let's say, we do exceptionally well and overachieve, this guy will be off faster than you can bat an eye lid. There's only one club that this guy holds in his heart, and here's a hint, it ain't Molde FK.

If that means 1 or 2 years of relative success for us then i'd take it. It's a big gamble though.

He'd have to do amazingly well (at least CL qualification & cup wins) for at least 3-4 years before the Glazers would even consider him to take over Man Utd. Man Utd's next manager will be a big name, not someone who has done well for 2 years at a relatively lower level club like Villa.

You name me the last manager that AVFC manager had that another team wanted and got, it was Graham Taylor England. I'm sorry but if United come calling, I'd ensure we have a massive fee on his head, I'm just excited, yes it's a risk but the fact our club are thinking long term instead of just next season as they did with McLeish says something. Whether you like it or not, he's a winner. if you look at all new type managers, Martinez, Guardiola, Rodgers? Do they look the shouting type, however they'd command respect on the training ground because of their ideas.

Those who don't want OGS are worried it's too soon. That's fair enough. As long as they give him a chance if and when we get him. There would be no point continuing to be negative about him once he arrives. If he's here then he must be given every chance to succeed.

I think an appointment like Solskjaer would do wonders for our kids, they'd all learn from him and listen, would have grown up seeing this guy doing it week in/week out at the highest level.

what effect it'd have on the likes of Dunne/Collins, i dread to think. I can only presume they will be bombed out and Ole given the money to bring in his own men.

..and I base this on.. absolutely nothing.

Think you need another edit there.

If only your knowledge of the man was as good as your syntax eh!

There are some fabulous restaurants in Oslo so lets hope Lerner has just popped over for lunch with his Mrs

i thought he doesn't have a missus anymore since his divorce?

He's a billionaire. What do you think? :)

One thing is depressingly predictable - whatever happens there will always be some Villa fans who will moan about it.

That's the biggest problem. This talk of wanting someone for the next 3 years, he'll probably get half of Villa Park booing if it's still 0-0 at half-time on the first day of the season. Just hope everyone will be grateful that it isn't McLeish any more and really support the team next season.

Good 45-minute video on him for those who have nothing better to do

Impressed so far.

Started watching this. Loved the bit where he goes on about not liking to play long ball or make loads of crosses. He'd much rather play on the ground with quick passes. I'm optimistic about him. If he can get us playing nice attacking football then i'm all for him. I'm not one of those that think we should be in the top 6. Just top half would do me, for now.. If we can get top half with him next season while playing some nice passing football i'd be delighted.

i thought he doesn't have a missus anymore since his divorce?

He's a billionaire. What do you think? :)

Like fly's round shit comes to mind.

The argument that says "I don't want him because he'll just use us as a stepping stone to bigger things", is plainly ridiculous. It's like saying I really hope Chris Herd doesn't play so well for us that Man City want to buy him for £25m in two years - the point being you've just had a hell of a player at the club for two years. If a crystal ball could see OSG managing Man Utd in 3 years then you could be sure that we'll have just had 3 years of doing very well. Alternatively you can go for a manager who keeps us bobbling along and is never wanted by anyone else.

"Last season Molde had a really big striker, a good target man and there were a lot of long balls for him to flick on and crosses for headers in the box, which I completely turned around, I dont want too many crosses. I want us to play through the opponent. In behind them, in between them more often and I think the players are enjoying playing the way I ask them too" - Olé Gunnar Solsjkaer

Sign him up.

Those who don't want OGS are worried it's too soon. That's fair enough. As long as they give him a chance if and when we get him. There would be no point continuing to be negative about him once he arrives. If he's here then he must be given every chance to succeed.

If we did get him I'd be worried its too son, but there is no doubting he could do a really good job. I would be more than happy to see what happens provided we aren't in a relegation battle similar to the one we had last season.