General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

There are some fabulous restaurants in Oslo so lets hope Lerner has just popped over for lunch with his Mrs

i thought he doesn't have a missus anymore since his divorce?

or has he found someone else...

He's a billionaire. What do you think? :)

Like fly's round shit comes to mind.

I can confirm this theory. I am poor and girls hate me!

I think it's jumping the gun a fair bit, but let's say we did get OGS, he did do really well and then after two or three years Fergie retires and Man Utd approach us to take him. Well, if Man Utd want him, then he must have done a good job in those few years managing us, meaning we'll no doubt be in a much more promising position and in a much better state as a club in all aspects.

You can't avoid doing things in the present just because of things that MIGHT happen in the future.

If he wants to come then I say give him a shot. From the bits and pieces I've seen on him as a manager I'm very impressed so far.

Exactly, this is spot on. IF we do get him and he is successful at our club, I would imagine we would be in such a better position in a few years time. If he left us then a few years later, the situation would be completely different for us than in the past. It would not being a manager leaving a state of upheaval and then scrambling to find short term fixes imo. We would get a solid fee off said club and be in a position to recruit another good manager. But as mentioned before, you cannot simply sit here and not choose a decent option just because of what MAY happen in a few years time. If you want to go risk free, then you can have fun languishing in mid table mediocrity for many years and not experience the thrill of challenging for Europe and going on cup runs.

The Mail seems to have its own VillaTalk monitoring page

With Alex McLeish having been given the sack, there has been a lot of talk on Villa forums about his potential replacement.

Over on www.villatalk.com attention has turned to Norwich manager Paul Lambert, who many see as a favourite to take on the managerial hotseat at Villa Park.

Bladerunner posted “I can see Norwich playing real hardball for Lambert. They are on a high after a 12th place finish on their first season back up. They'll want to keep as many of their playing and management staff as possible and may just point blank refuse to let us speak to Lambert. Whereas Whelan seems willing to deal with anybody if the price is right.”

Mazrim posted “Firstly, the guys that own Liverpool are not that wealthy. They gambled a lot of money on last season paying off and it hasn't.

Secondly, if they were willing to give a new manager £100m (my arse) it would be a top manager spending it. Lambert is not that yet.

In any case they will be after a "sure thing". I doubt they'll want to gamble on somebody. We can.”

Tamuff _Villa posted “The Agent's of Lambert and Martinez must think its Christmas with the current vacancies and their guys being linked.”

CI posted “Quite underwhelmed by the thought of lambert

Still, I guess the rate of knots we have fallen as a club & the reality check if where we can go, it's probably par for the course

On a positive, I do think he is better than Martinez”

AVFCforever1991 posted “I don't think Lambert is going to join villa anyways..

Can rule him out.”

Richard posted “Understand that Lambert etc have to play their cards close to the chest as who knows what will happen, but I have to say it has been three days of speculation now since we sacked Mcleish and also the speculation just after the Bolton game (and his comments then were not exactly of the f off nature). He or Norwich could have come out in the last few days and pledged his future to them, totally distancing himself from any rumours and been categoric in the process.

There have been rumours and press speculation that he is not the man granted but nothing from him . This fact keeps my hopes high”

Although I would be somewhat contented by this appointment, I do find it amusing how some people are claiming 'we need a man for 3-5 years' when if, let's say, we do exceptionally well and overachieve, this guy will be off faster than you can bat an eye lid. There's only one club that this guy holds in his heart, and here's a hint, it ain't Molde FK.

If that means 1 or 2 years of relative success for us then i'd take it. It's a big gamble though.

He'd have to do amazingly well (at least CL qualification & cup wins) for at least 3-4 years before the Glazers would even consider him to take over Man Utd. Man Utd's next manager will be a big name, not someone who has done well for 2 years at a relatively lower level club like Villa.

A fair point, but never underestimate fan pressure, it got Kenny back in even though he was unquestionably out of touch with modern football. They absolutely adore OGS up there. Alot of the public and press expect newton heath to bring in a man that will follow in SAF's footsteps and be there a long time. My personal opinion is that it will be more of a merry-go-round compounded by being overshadowed by city.

But anyway, living in the present I think it's an encouraging appointment.

Other quotes from that OGS show. From one of his players

'I have experienced a more fiery side of him, we were 2-0 up before half time and I gave the ball away and then gave away a corner kick. They scored off of it and once the HT whistle blew and got in the locker room Olé let me have it, chewed me out in front of the whole team. I deserved it, I knew what I did wrong and it made me that much angry and determined to work harder and make sure I never made that mistake again'

Doesn't sound like he's a soft touch who has had it easy at Molde. Lets give him a go.Better than Curbishley or McCarthy

whilst debating OGS and the minor league he manages in - wasnt Arsene Wenger working in Japan when he got the Arsenal job - did he do much previously in France?

OGS would definitely be diffrent i still havent forgiven him for that 94th minute goal at OT when we had gabor Kiraly in goal (the one who wore pyjames). as soon as he came on you knew he would score, despite isiah, cahill and ridgewell playing pretty well for a depleted team!

im sure that was henrik larsson

With Alex McLeish having been given the sack, there has been a lot of talk on Villa forums about his potential replacement.

Over on www.villatalk.com attention has turned to Norwich manager Paul Lambert, who many see as a favourite to take on the managerial hotseat at Villa Park.

Bladerunner posted “I can see Norwich playing real hardball for Lambert. They are on a high after a 12th place finish on their first season back up. They'll want to keep as many of their playing and management staff as possible and may just point blank refuse to let us speak to Lambert. Whereas Whelan seems willing to deal with anybody if the price is right.”

Mazrim posted “Firstly, the guys that own Liverpool are not that wealthy. They gambled a lot of money on last season paying off and it hasn't.

Secondly, if they were willing to give a new manager £100m (my arse) it would be a top manager spending it. Lambert is not that yet.

In any case they will be after a "sure thing". I doubt they'll want to gamble on somebody. We can.”

Tamuff _Villa posted “The Agent's of Lambert and Martinez must think its Christmas with the current vacancies and their guys being linked.”

Still, I guess the rate of knots we have fallen as a club & the reality check if where we can go, it's probably par for the course

Can rule him out.”

Richard posted “Understand that Lambert etc have to play their cards close to the chest as who knows what will happen, but I have to say it has been three days of speculation now since we sacked Mcleish and also the speculation just after the Bolton game (and his comments then were not exactly of the f off nature). He or Norwich could have come out in the last few days and pledged his future to them, totally distancing himself from any rumours and been categoric in the process.

There have been rumours and press speculation that he is not the man granted but nothing from him . This fact keeps my hopes high”

I'm famous :hooray: ...now, where does the fortune bit come in?

Other quotes from that OGS show. From one of his players

'I have experienced a more fiery side of him, we were 2-0 up before half time and I gave the ball away and then gave away a corner kick. They scored off of it and once the HT whistle blew and got in the locker room Olé let me have it, chewed me out in front of the whole team. I deserved it, I knew what I did wrong and it made me that much angry and determined to work harder and make sure I never made that mistake again'

Doesn't sound like he's a soft touch who has had it easy at Molde. Lets give him a go.Better than Curbishley or McCarthy

Hmmm, now I don't know who to believe. I've been told by some gobshite that he's a soft touch you see.

Can rule him out.”

I'm famous :hooray: ...now, where does the fortune bit come in?

Next you'll be having your face printed on money...this is the road to super-stardom!!! 8)

There are some fabulous restaurants in Oslo so lets hope Lerner has just popped over for lunch with his Mrs

i thought he doesn't have a missus anymore since his divorce?

or has he found someone else...

He's a billionaire. What do you think? :)

Like fly's round shit comes to mind.

I can confirm this theory. I am poor and girls hate me!

only the ones that have met you surely ? :winkold:

What have i missed? How come everyone is sure randy is in norway?

I was wondering the same thing ???

our resident plane-spotter has confirmed that Randy's jet is on its way to Kristiansund, Norway.

and the most famous resident of Kristiansund is OSG!

That video (

) is an excellent watch has me quite excited by the prospect of OGS. However its very easy to talk tactics on camera and much harder to 'talk on the pitch'. Still, i would be very excited with him as the villa boss and think RL may be onto a winner here.

Not ole gunar solskjaer...he still look like a 7 year old kid
Lester Joseph Gillis (December 6, 1908 – November 27, 1934), known under the pseudonym George Nelson, was a bank robber and murderer in the 1930s. Gillis was known as Baby Face Nelson, a name given to him due to his youthful appearance and small stature. Usually referred to by criminal associates as "Jimmy", Nelson entered into a partnership with John Dillinger, helping him escape from prison in the famed Crown Point, Indiana Jail escape, and was later labeled along with the remaining gang members as public enemy number one.

Nelson was responsible for the murder of several people, and has the dubious distinction of having killed more FBI agents in the line of duty than any other person.

:)