Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

Yeah but there is only one BIG team in Denmark, as you have already said. In the Premier League there are many BIG teams. Everton may not have won anything for years (like us) but the job that Moyes has done is remarkable!

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it be wrong to say I hope Randy doesn't sell.

Yes get some hefty investment into the club, but I'm kinda proud that we've

Bucked the trend & not filled our team with nutjob Ballotellis.

Yes I know we bort British idiots along the way but AVFC have provided

England with more players than any other club anywhere,

and I'm kinda proud of that. Would love us to mix it up with some

more Laursen & Mellbergs et al but hope wateva happens we can breed

& find British players sans WAG culture.

Hopefully Lambert & Co will do better & he does unearth

some gems from the lower leagues, the PL as well as from

abroad.

Anyhow maybe that's a romantic notion & I should be more

pragmatic, but Im not sure I'd wanna lose our identity.

His control on wages was neglegent to say the least.... Throw in the fact he had wages at 90% of revenue by inceasing the wage bill from £28m to £83m in four years and now has the clubs net debt at nearly £200m id say he has made a massive mess overall during his tenure.

You can't use the same argument twice in the same paragraph.

I hope Randy stays.

The King Edward going, but the owner may be moving to the Church Tavern which is up the road from the Aston Social which has been abandoned for years.

The Adventurers going

Aston Social going

How sure are you that the social is going?

I know the addys was going. But I drink in the Social for every game and haven't heard anything.

An interesting PL interview can be viewed at

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/02062012/58/premier-league-villa-appoint-lambert.html

IMO well worth a watch, anyone seen it....comments

Reminds me a bit of what Mixu Paatelainen did, he took the year off when he left Hibernian, and went to travel around europe and visited numerous clubs to see what they do differently and learn from them.

He then went on to manage Kilmarnock who exceeded the expectations.

Randy chucked everything at CL. We were losing £40m a year, coincidentally pretty much the exact amount of money we'd have made by making the Champions League. It was incredibly negligent and very naive of him to allow it to get that bad and there is no excuse for the type of quality we were giving that money to (and that falls on Randy's shoulders as much as MON's).

It's shit now because it backfired immensely but I do wonder what would have happened had we actually made the CL and got that roughly £40m extra a season.

Would it be wrong to say I hope Randy doesn't sell.

Yes get some hefty investment into the club, but I'm kinda proud that we've

Bucked the trend & not filled our team with nutjob Ballotellis.

Yes I know we bort British idiots along the way but AVFC have provided

England with more players than any other club anywhere,

and I'm kinda proud of that. Would love us to mix it up with some

more Laursen & Mellbergs et al but hope wateva happens we can breed

& find British players sans WAG culture.

Hopefully Lambert & Co will do better & he does unearth

some gems from the lower leagues, the PL as well as from

abroad.

Anyhow maybe that's a romantic notion & I should be more

pragmatic, but Im not sure I'd wanna lose our identity.

Id love Randy to sell up. He has no idea how to run a football club or an NFL franchise. His control on wages was neglegent to say the least and his appointment of McLeish was unforgivable. Throw in the fact he had wages at 90% of revenue by inceasing the wage bill from £28m to £83m in four years and now has the clubs net debt at nearly £200m id say he has made a massive mess overall during his tenure.

Not that I disagree with what you write; Lerner has made some monumental cock ups over the last few years, however he has also done some amazing things (such as restoring the Holte Pub - which is awesome btw).

When it comes to the business side of it, yes wages being at 90% of revenue is a disgrace. However, had we qualified for the CL that would massively reduce the 90% figure without having to cut costs. Personally I believe that this was his goal... he obviously knew the numbers, we narrowly missed out on CL and in his mind he was probably thinking about seriously sustaining a challenge for 3 - 4 years before giving up and doing his cost cutting exercises which we witnessed 2 - 3 years ago. The reason I believe he gave up on this attempt to win the CL place due to Man City.

Randy is a very wealthy man, however his purse isn't as deep as you imagine. Yes, being a billionaire in dollars is a lot of money, but he has "only" just over £500m. I remember Man Utd trying to sell a bond for £500m a few years ago! Basically, his whole fortune and everything he owns and his family built up would buy a section of Man Utd.

He needs to be careful and with Man City effectively pushing the football worlds inflation up by 1000% he had to make a sensible and very unpopular decision. I can't deny him that in all honesty...

The McLeish appointment however was a bloody disgrace. I struggle to see how anybody with any ounce of sense could of possibly of thought McLeish would have done anymore than what he did last season. And him being employed by a Villa fan? Well, it raises a lot of questions doesn't it... it isn't quite the "unforgivable" move as you put it, however Lerners legacy, no matter what he does from now on, will always be employing one of the worst Bluenose managers in our history and hugely embarrassing us in the football world.

Do I want Randy at the club? Three years ago I would of been broken if he sold. Three weeks ago I would of been delighted if he sold. Right now, I'd be okay if he stayed but if he did sell I'd want him to sell to the right people.... not just the people with the most money that could cripple Villa in years to come.

A few years ago I'd have probably been against it but Villa Park would still be Villa Park to me even if it was named the QIA Arena or something. If renaming it meant we had an extra £30 million a year to spend on top of the £20 million Lerner normally gives then I'm ok with it.

It would be nowhere near that.

Arsenal currently get £8m/year for Emirates Stadium, Man City get around £10/year (though hard to separate out from the shirt sponsorship £40m in total), Chelsea were looking for £5m/year & Newcastle were looking for £1-2m/year for stadium sponsorship.

Man City now get £100 million a year in naming rights for thier council house

The King Edward going, but the owner may be moving to the Church Tavern which is up the road from the Aston Social which has been abandoned for years.

The Adventurers going

Aston Social going

How sure are you that the social is going?

I know the addys was going. But I drink in the Social for every game and haven't heard anything.

I've heard off people around Aston. You can see on the boundry map also that everything in red will be going.

Click me, scroll down to the Aston, Newtown and Lozells Area Action Plan Boundary PDF

When you've downloaded the PDF and have the map open, if you look on the map where it says Aston Expressway, the red area is where the redevlopment will be. By the looks of it the Aston Social and the leisure centre will be going and the carpark behind it.

I know Aston Villa own the leisure centre so I'm not sure what's gonna happen there and that carpark holds a lot of the matchday cars.

I think I would just share a little story with you all.

As we all know football is turning into a game for the mega rich. To an extent it looks like the CL and mega money from investors is the only chance of success. But for the last 3 years we have seen something in Denmark that gives me hope for the future. One of the smaller clubs in Denmark, FC Nordsjælland (FCN), started doing things the right way. The focused on developing of young players and were very tight with contracts to the established players basic wages, but topped that with good bonuses for success.

2 years they won the Cup and they repeated this last year. This year they won the league and therefore qualified directly to the CL. Now you will all say that this is Denmarks mickey mouse league (and that is true), and that there is not that much money in Denmark compare to UK (and that is true as well), but what we have in Denmark is an all dominating team FC Copenhagen (FCK). They had won 8 out of the last 10 championships and are the richest club by FAR. Looking at the spending wages FCK easily outspends everyone else. FCN on the other hand, in a league of 10 teams, was only the 6 highest spender and only spend 25% of what FCK did.

So it can be done, it is possible to compete without outspending the competitors. It will take some time, but if you have the right management then there is still hope.

I for one hope we can do something similar, now that we have a talented manager and an owner that is willing to back him.

UTV.

An even more relevant example is Montpellier

If we could somehow have held onto Milner Barry downing ash & Cahill we'd certainly be top 6 possibly top 4

Until we are able to keep our best players we will keep hitting a brick wall

Maybe it's up to PL to attract a few more Milner/Young/Downing/Cahill type players to the club that we can improve and then perhaps not sell!

If there's one thing I am hoping for, it's that PL's search involves going outside of the UK, and avoiding Norwich at all costs.

I am very excited as i believe this will be a busy summer. I like the idea that PL tries to win games (its been a while since we didnt go for the draw), agressive style and the players working their ass off.

I must admit i didnt watch many Norwich games last year, but i watched a couple when they played in the championship and i was really impressed in how the whole team defended, even the strikers worked hard to get the ball back and they got some chances on the break.

I am actually looking forward to the next season now, anyone who gets a team up from 66th to 12th in a couple of seasons on a limited budget knows what he is doing in my opinion...

Maybe it's up to PL to attract a few more Milner/Young/Downing/Cahill type players to the club that we can improve and then perhaps not sell!

If there's one thing I am hoping for, it's that PL's search involves going outside of the UK, and avoiding Norwich at all costs.

Agreed. Even if Lambert is given lots of money to spend presumably he will not be allowed to sign tons of players on massive wages. That should hopefully encourage him to look abroad if he wasn't planning on doing so already.

Richard being happy is really making me quite anxious.

Richard, answer me this, do you think we'll beat Burton Albion in pre-season?

If the answer's yes then I'm calling the authorities