Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

So some guy who is usually miserable is now happy therefore we are being taken over by some fictional arab group?

Only on Villatalk !!

QIA aren't fictional.

I had to snigger at that fictional tag, it's one of the dumbest things I've ever read on here.

Just for clarity, I don't think QIA are buying Randy out and never did. I do, however, believe the possibility that they may buy a stake.

Who knows, we may be playing our home games at the Qatar Foundation Stadium. The DE stand may become the al-Thani stand!

I'm actually ok with that.. A few years ago I'd have probably been against it but Villa Park would still be Villa Park to me even if it was named the QIA Arena or something. If renaming it meant we had an extra £30 million a year to spend on top of the £20 million Lerner normally gives then I'm ok with it.. It could even mean that some years Lerner doesn't give anything towards transfers which will suit him and yet the club doesn't suffer..

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first thing he can do to be even more popular is get rid of the troublesome Collins, Dunne and Warnock.

Don't forget HUTTON!!!!!

If he does that - hes pretty much going to have to blow his whole budget on a new defence - or play the kids. I d be tempted to keep at least Dunne

Evening from Norwich

Dipped in & out of this thread over the last few weeks & thought I'd come back now you've officially got your man, if only to prove that not all NCFC fans are "bitter & deluded". :lol:

In my post yesterday I said that we were trying to keep Cully & Karsa but it seems they are following PL - dunno whether thats been officially confirmed yet or not

Not much point me wishing PL luck as he won't need it. When he first moved to Norwich he spoke about the potential because of the fanbase ("and when you have that you've always got a chance") and he'll no doubt say that about Villa too. With the backing of a man of Lerners means and his ability you could easily be top 4 within 3 years.

All that remains for me to say is see you on August 18th - inevitable isn't it :winkold:

Cheers

KA

Cheers KA.

Best wishes for the new season.

Who would you like to see come in as Lambert's replacement?

I really don't know - definitely don't want Bruce, McCarthy or Big Eck though!

Top 3 in the current betting are Mackay, Hughton & Clark.

Mackay is ex Norwich but we've been down the ex-player route before & it failed miserably. Based on what I've seen of his teams they seem to play pretty direct stuff and I don't want that

Clark was a coach here under Rodent before he went to Huddersfield. Did well there but whether he's up to managing in the Prem is another matter. He's been backed from 16's today but we all know that means very little in these markets

I'd probably side with Hughton. Did a decent job under difficult circumstances at your "neighbours" last season and got shat on at Newcastle. Word down here is that he has been "Plan B" for a while (Lambert staying was plan A)

Totally leftfield choice would be Karl Robinson from MK Dons - young, inexperienced but could be anything

Whoever we get I trust McNally to make the right appointment. He got Hodgson in at Fulham & Lambert in at NCFC so his track record is pretty decent

Apologies for clogging up your thread, but HolteEnd did ask!!

KA

The first thing he can do to be even more popular is get rid of the troublesome Collins, Dunne and Warnock.

Don't forget HUTTON!!!!!

If he does that - hes pretty much going to have to blow his whole budget on a new defence - or play the kids. I d be tempted to keep at least Dunne

I think Lambert is going to have to evaluate who he thinks the biggest weak links are. He can't get rid of all of them as much as we want him to as if we started first game next season with an entirely new back four possibly consisting of European players that have never played in the Premier League, we could get massacred.

I think Lambert should ship out Dunne and Warnock this summer and try to get Collins and Hutton pulling in the right direction. To me it's not a case of not being able to afford 4 new defenders + a midfielder + a striker as we could with sensible buying, it's more for me that if we start with a completely unproven back four we could get destroyed.

Richard isn't negative about all things Villa, lets get the story right here. I have had many arguments with Richard over my years on here and so this is not a biased view from me. I have never met the guy but I know people who have met him and I do know he has contacts, more than most members of this forum. He has had very good ITK previously and I see no reason why he should not here.

But my main point, Richard was supportive of Lerner for the first two years, but also wanted reassurance about the direction of the club, due to things he felt and had heard from people. A lot of forum members, myself included were offended Richard could say things he had been saying (literally just comments about Lerner. see below about stopping spending).

He was not a manic depressive, nor was he anti-Villa, he was stating what he heard and felt. As it turned out, Richard got a lot of things spot on, especially predicting Lerner would stop spending when he did.

Because of this, Richard held the view that if things were to continue this way under Lerner's stewardship, it would perhaps be best if Lerner was to step down. A number of those who once argued with Richard, including myself, started thinking in the same light and apologised to Richard over how things worked out. It was mainly out of frustration, after all we all wanted success and all still do.

Richard has been vocal about Lerner and his team, he felt changes were needed. He felt the next manager had to be the correct decision, he felt this manager needed backing. Due to his contacts, he feels (and of course we now know about PL) that BOTH of these are in place.

Due to Richard being spot on before and due to him wanting the best, as shown with his passion for wanting success previously. (he went up against 90% of the forum, held his views and was proved right, as said) I believe we should take what Richard says as the truth and should look forward to having some good times...

So, to re-cap. Richard is certainly not a manic depressive or negative, he has been right previously and for that reason I believe he is correct again.

(Ramble, mumbled, but pretty much what has happened, I think).

A few years ago I'd have probably been against it but Villa Park would still be Villa Park to me even if it was named the QIA Arena or something. If renaming it meant we had an extra £30 million a year to spend on top of the £20 million Lerner normally gives then I'm ok with it.

It would be nowhere near that.

Arsenal currently get £8m/year for Emirates Stadium, Man City get around £10/year (though hard to separate out from the shirt sponsorship £40m in total), Chelsea were looking for £5m/year & Newcastle were looking for £1-2m/year for stadium sponsorship.

So some guy who is usually miserable is now happy therefore we are being taken over by some fictional arab group?

Only on Villatalk !!

QIA aren't fictional.

I had to snigger at that fictional tag, it's one of the dumbest things I've ever read on here.

Just for clarity, I don't think QIA are buying Randy out and never did. I do, however, believe the possibility that they may buy a stake.

Who knows, we may be playing our home games at the Qatar Foundation Stadium. The DE stand may become the al-Thani stand!

I'm actually ok with that.. A few years ago I'd have probably been against it but Villa Park would still be Villa Park to me even if it was named the QIA Arena or something. If renaming it meant we had an extra £30 million a year to spend on top of the £20 million Lerner normally gives then I'm ok with it.. It could even mean that some years Lerner doesn't give anything towards transfers which will suit him and yet the club doesn't suffer..

Renaming a stadium wont get you anywhere near £30m a year.

I don't think we'll be taken over or invested in.

All I think is Randy is going to invest some transfer funds.

In fact, i don't think transfer funds were ever a problem. The problem was the wages. As I've said numerous times before, Randy gambled on a wage budget for the Champions League. Once it became clear we weren't getting it, he cut back the wages. The transfer funds weren't the problem, it was the wages.

Now that we've spent 2 years cutting back wages to a minimum, I think we've freed up some wiggle room.

I expect significant investment this summer, with a much tighter rein on the wages that are given out.

I think my opinion on all hings villa in the last two or three years has been obvious. Let's just say that over the last week or so I have been persuaded that my opinion should change.

We have the right man and I am confident he will be backed to make the changes he feels are needed. I for one will enjoy the riide

My passion has been reignited ;-)

Thats more than good enough for me. I have totally shared Richards concerns re Lerner over the last 3 years - and had the occassional chat with him about it. Whatever has changed his view must be (a) connected to significant money available (B) 100% certain to happen.

Put that together with a Manager who will fit this Club to a 't' (MON Plus Plus) and a near united fan base I am as excited as I have been for many a moon. Thank God.

Footy is so important in so many ways and it has been an awful awful 2 years or so.

What a great feeling. :cheers:

Ah I see, not all that clued up on such matters. I apologise for being ignorant I just assumed that something like that would bring in quite a bit of money.

Last thing from me for now

Our CE was just asked on Twitter (Yes I know you hate that on here) if Cully & Karsa had left to join PL at Villa & his answer was "No"

Thats not to say they won't (I was told earlier that it was all done) but PL doesn't have his Lieutenants with him, yet....

Cheers

KA

Yeah, more likely he's had his medication upped

Evening from Norwich

Dipped in & out of this thread over the last few weeks & thought I'd come back now you've officially got your man, if only to prove that not all NCFC fans are "bitter & deluded". :lol:

In my post yesterday I said that we were trying to keep Cully & Karsa but it seems they are following PL - dunno whether thats been officially confirmed yet or not

Not much point me wishing PL luck as he won't need it. When he first moved to Norwich he spoke about the potential because of the fanbase ("and when you have that you've always got a chance") and he'll no doubt say that about Villa too. With the backing of a man of Lerners means and his ability you could easily be top 4 within 3 years.

All that remains for me to say is see you on August 18th - inevitable isn't it :winkold:

Cheers

KA

I think it's been proven that humans and a computers with Internet doesn't mix well. It's pretty much a catalyst for bad thoughts and behavior. However theres a shining bright star who is up for a decent discussion, reflection and even tend to be slightly so objective in their arguments. I'm not one of these, but you great Sir are!

Thank you!

Evening from Norwich

In my post yesterday I said that we were trying to keep Cully & Karsa but it seems they are following PL - dunno whether thats been officially confirmed yet or notKA

well I did say welcome to Ian and Gary the night before last ;-)

Evening from Norwich

In my post yesterday I said that we were trying to keep Cully & Karsa but it seems they are following PL - dunno whether thats been officially confirmed yet or notKA

well I did say welcome to Ian and Gary the night before last ;-)

hmmm - so you're confirming the backroom staff are coming to villa?