Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think its that poor. Some good players were made poor over the last twelve months. I think we need 6 players to add and remove 3-4. We have a solid core to start building from.

I don't think its that poor. Some good players were made poor over the last twelve months. I think we need 6 players to add and remove 3-4. We have a solid core to start building from.

I agree KSV, essentially we have a decent nucleas of players that have been mismanaged and not played to their strengths.

Saying that, we still have some expensive polished turds on our books too!

Lambert strikes me a man who doesn't suffer fools but also has the attitude and charisma to inspire players.

If he can weed out the bad apples but retain experience and passion, he'll do alright!

We drew a lot of games (bit of an understatement) last season, which with a decent team ethic and mindset could've resulted in all three points being gained. AMc was his own worsed enemy with his negativity and this rubbed off on the players.

I think with Lambert's work ethic, we'll see more wins than draws next season.

I can see him getting the best out of Albrighton, Ireland, N'Zogbia, Bent and Gabby who'll all finally play to their strengths.

We still to sort out the defence and unfortunately replace Stan in the centre of the park but I have faith PL will address it.

Finally, a season for all Villa fans to get excited about! UTV!

Solid core ? Given and Bent aside who else, Dunne maybe but he's only ever one lunge away from conceding a spot kick and his legs aren't getting any younger

Losing Stan in the middle is a massive blow

We really need a vocal ball winning skipper in the CM role IMHO

I don't see herd filling that void well

Solid core ? Given and Bent aside who else, Dunne maybe but he's only ever one lunge away from conceding a spot kick and his legs aren't getting any younger

Ireland would be a great player for us if we get decent players around him who can actually play and read the game. That guy has bags of talent that we haven't yet tapped in to. Get a ball winning midfielder behind him and someone who can pass with vision and Ireland will grab us double figures from midfield imo.

The midfield can be great with Makoun deeper with ball-winning/harder DCM and Ireland as ACM with Bent as striker and N'Zogbia and someone else on the wing.

Yep. Herd can even do the job (Makoun is no slouch in that department himself, as he's been deployed as a DCM for most of his career. He just needs to get up to speed with the PL). With Holman, Gabby and Marc in addition to N'Zogbia I think we've got decent enough cover out wide. We just need an experienced midfielder, because any injuries in that department and we'll have to start relying on our youngsters as we have the last 2 seasons. Guthrie wouldn't be a bad should as backup imo.

Aston Villa has given me no joy for the past 12 months, and there's no doubt I've mentally reshuffled my priorities and reassessed the value of football to adjust for that

Definitely agree with that but for me it is 24 months instead of 12. When it was officially confirmed that Lambert was our new manager, as funny or weird as this may sound, it felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I think it's because Lambert was my number one choice and I know that I can support him 100% which is something that I haven't been able to do for two seasons. It really does feel like I've got "MY" Villa back.

You can add me to the list of people with the same feelings, exactly.

In fact it kind of goes back longer, in a way, for me. The last few years under Ellis I went out of habit and for the pub before or after with my pals, but I didn't think much of the Club, or the football at all.

Then when RL and MO'N came in, it was like a re-birth of my joy in younger days at going to games. For me it was brilliant.

But once Houllier came in, whatever the reasons, it started to lose that appeal and joy, and last season I hardly bothered going much, because when I did, I'd rather have stayed in the pub most of the time. It was expensive, inconvenient and joyless and other things started to seem suddenly a lot more worthy of my time and money. I didn't much like the players, and the manager was just the wrong fit.

I'm certain Lambert is a good fit, and am mildly, cautiously, hopeful that he can revitalise the squad, particularly if he is given time, patience from us lot and of course some money to do the job that needs desperately to be done.

But most of all I'm looking forward to be able to enjoy going to games again, for football reasons.

every morning when i wake up and remember PL is our manager i have a great big grin on my face....

so big was my grin this morning that Mrs Bouma thought i had alterior motives...

i think i disappointed her when i said "im just so happy PL is our manager"....

so she's getting more shut eye as i write this :D

i just want this jubilee bollocks to end so we can have the press conference and hear him speak!

I will be interested to see if Gary Karsa - or whatever he is called makes the switch. He seems to handle the transfers - and has a title 'director of football operations' - This would seem to encroach of Faulkners remit....and may explain the one line announcement re Lamberts appointment.

I will be interested to see if Gary Karsa - or whatever he is called makes the switch. He seems to handle the transfers - and has a title 'director of football operations' - This would seem to encroach of Faulkners remit....and may explain the one line announcement re Lamberts appointment.
I think you're reading way too much into this. The statement was only one line because we're still wrangling with Norwich over compensation. They'll do all the hyping up on Wednesday I expect.

Well Id sell:

Collins

Warnock

Hutton

Delph

Bannan

(and i assume Petrov unfortunately is gone as well)

Players which will be useful in the squad.

Given

Dunne

Clark

Lichaj

Ireland

Nzogbia

Makoun

Albrighton

Herd

Gardner

Caruthers

Bent

Gabby

Wiemann

Holman

They are talented players and he will get the best out of them. They didnt all turn shit overnight.. just over 11 months ;)

i really hope Lambert gives Makoun and Delph another chance....

Makoun could be a really tidy player with the right people around him....

and Delph has been really badly mistreated by previous managers IMO....

he does not have the discipline in terms of positioning to be a CM or DCM and in a strange way i think he struggles when he has too much time to pick a pass....

let's see what he can do (coming off the bench) as a left winger or cutting in from the right this season and judge him once he has played in his best position and fully fit

every morning when i wake up and remember PL is our manager i have a great big grin on my face....

so big was my grin this morning that Mrs Bouma thought i had alterior motives...

i think i disappointed her when i said "im just so happy PL is our manager"....

so she's getting more shut eye as i write this :D

i just want this jubilee bollocks to end so we can have the press conference and hear him speak!

My girlfriend is exactly the same i bought her some wine and chocolates on saturday and she said she wants villa to get a new manager every week if it puts me in a gooder mood as this.

Of the known bad apples, I'd get shot in the following order -

Warnock

Collins

Hutton

Dunne

Last chance saloon for NZogbia & Bannan

NZogbia cannot be excused anymore prima Dona outbursts or lazy performances

From what I've heard lambert does not accept this anyway