Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sky Sports website with quotes from his lawyer saying that Celtic have dismissed him.

"I can confirm that I have been instructed to act on behalf of Alan Thompson following his dismissal by Celtic FC.

"Alan was informed of the decision to terminate his employment with immediate effect in a telephone conversation with the club manager Neil Lennon."

Wonder what that's all about?

Normally termination of employment with immediate effect is for Gross Misconduct.

Sky Sports website with quotes from his lawyer saying that Celtic have dismissed him.

"I can confirm that I have been instructed to act on behalf of Alan Thompson following his dismissal by Celtic FC.

"Alan was informed of the decision to terminate his employment with immediate effect in a telephone conversation with the club manager Neil Lennon."

Normally termination of employment with immediate effect is for Gross Misconduct.

Another drink-driving charge?

Well if rumours off the tweets are anything to go bye as to the reason for Alan Thompson being sacked (hic)by Celtic FC ...then I would think

the last place he'd be heading for is Villa Park.... that's all we'd need.

I'd take that as meaning he isn't in for the Villa assistant manager role and that either has done something very wrong or hasn't lived up to club expectations. Normally in a case like this he would just resign if he Lambert approached him and he wanted the Villa post, he wouldn't be fired.

Back to the topic of our new manager, I'm really pleased with his appointment. However, I can't help thinking that he's got a very tough job on his hands and that we shouldn't build our hopes too high, too soon.

This is by far the biggest test Paul Lambert has faced in his managerial career, in my opinion. I hope it turns out to be the making of him. UTV

Not convinced Alan Thompson is coming back: he has been fired, right? Unless he got himself the sack to be brought in as Lambert's first team coach it doesn't look like a great idea. Hope Lerner signs the cheques to bring in PL's staff...

I must still be a little numb from the season of shit we just had to endure as while I really think Lambert is a great appointment I just haven't got that buzz or sense of excitement which I had when we appointed Big Ron and MON. Hopefully the press conference on Wednesday will fix that.

I must still be a little numb from the season of shit we just had to endure as while I really think Lambert is a great appointment I just haven't got that buzz or sense of excitement which I had when we appointed Big Ron and MON. Hopefully the press conference on Wednesday will fix that.

Funnily enough I feel similarly, and PL was absolutely my first choice from the very beginning. Aston Villa has given me no joy for the past 12 months, and there's no doubt I've mentally reshuffled my priorities and reassessed the value of football to adjust for that. I think that feeling of jaundice is one of the absolute worst effects of McLeish's miserable tenure, but PL is the kind of person who could rekindle that passion.

The board spoke of a 'vibrant new era'. This is a good start but it is just a start.

Aston Villa has given me no joy for the past 12 months, and there's no doubt I've mentally reshuffled my priorities and reassessed the value of football to adjust for that

Definitely agree with that but for me it is 24 months instead of 12. When it was officially confirmed that Lambert was our new manager, as funny or weird as this may sound, it felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I think it's because Lambert was my number one choice and I know that I can support him 100% which is something that I haven't been able to do for two seasons. It really does feel like I've got "MY" Villa back.

Taken some time to think about Lambert's appointment and I'm neither excited or disappointed. It's really just a wait and see policy with me and no more than that.

I feel the same way.

But it's nice to see all the optimism and the positive wibe on here, god knows it's been a while since people had anything to cheer about.

Now McLeish is gone, so is Heskey. Fan favourite Lambert as new manager, rumour of cash being made available from Randy, and a new kit from Macron coming soon... Good times!

Let's enjoy the honeymoon while it lasts.

The press are reporting that Thompson has been sacked because of his drinking,that is the last thing we need at Villa Park another potential piss head so it is a no to him plus get one or two such players out of the door.

I hope PL brings his own staff.

Once the euphoria of the appointment dies down and the hangover wears off for those celebrating Lamberts arrival, there is the sobering reminder of how shite our squad is.

There's a massive amount of work to do which will take at least 2-3 years IMHO

I don't expect much season 1 other than better organisation & commitment and more professionalism on and off the pitch from the players