Ched Evans

GarethRDR

35 goals in 42 appearances in his last season for Sheffield. Thats the reason they or another club will sign him. Forget morals and ethics, football is about money and success and whilst some of us hold the higher moral ground, if he went back to Shef United and scored another 35 goals the fans will soon forgive and forget.

and that's reason some teams wont sign him. What sponsor would want be associated with him

He's served his time, he has the right to re-enter the workplace. If another club decides to sign him then there's nothing wrong with that. I'm sure many clubs will not want to sign him since he is a convicted rapist. But I don't see anything wrong with a person working having served out their sentence. 

Would you be okay with Villa signing him?

No because he's not good enough. ;)

• 2 months later...

He's served his time, he has the right to re-enter the workplace. If another club decides to sign him then there's nothing wrong with that. I'm sure many clubs will not want to sign him since he is a convicted rapist. But I don't see anything wrong with a person working having served out their sentence.

Serving half of a five year sentence doesn't really feel to me as if he has served his time yet but I guess that's a whole other debate.

If he had turned round at the start of this and expressed remorse, given a large donation to a rape crisis centre and apologised to the poor woman, then I might have a small amount of sympathy for him. As he hasn't, in my opinion, he's an unrepentant arsehole with an entitlement issue who doesn't think he has done anything wrong. 

The court case was basically saying that she left with the first footballer, and went to a hotel with him = consent.

Ched turns up in a taxi and has a go after getting a text from first guy = Rape.

That's why he was convicted and the other guy wasn't.

As he hasn't shown any remorse, or given any indication that he considers what he did was wrong, I hope he is treated like a pariah until he realises that he is a rapist, and uses this whole sorry episode to teach the many football fans that would watch him that you can't just turn up and shag a pissed woman in a hotel room without being nicked, and that behaviour is unacceptable.

Why are the club prepared to go through all this backlash for the sake of one average striker?

He isn't to them though. He scored over 30 goals that season. They don't currently have a recognisable good striker.

I'm not saying they should re-sign him but in League 1 he is definitely much more than an "average striker".

I'm surprised with the level of controversy this is creating though, especially when signing a convicted murderer in lee Hughes raised just a murmur and double killer luke mckormick hardly got a mention outside of Plymouth when he re signed for them

• Like 3

He's done his time, so has the right to return to work. But my opinion of any club signing such individual would drop like a stone. The guys not shown any remorse at all and that has to add to problem whether he thinks he's guilty or not.

I've found what some partisan fans of some clubs would over look to win games these days as quite disgusting. From racism to rape, is there a line, or do they not care when they score goals?

Edited by Oaks

I'm surprised with the level of controversy this is creating though, especially when signing a convicted murderer in lee Hughes raised just a murmur and double killer luke mckormick hardly got a mention outside of Plymouth when he re signed for them

This reminded me . I was in the reception of Winson Green when Lee Hughes came in , and trust me , he derserved seven years just for the whistle he was wearing . Yes , white socks too .

I think Hughes and McCormick pleaded guilty and showed remorse for their actions. Maybe if Evans did then it wouldn't have the same reaction? Although if Evans believes he is innocent then I fully understand why he hasn't shown remorse as it would be an admission that he did something wrong

Allegedly Hughes, in the real world, didn't change one bit. He would go out and get lashed up and live his life again like nothing had happened.

I'm a believe in "don't tell me, show me". Difficult in a case like this granted.

Regardless what he did, the man has to work. He has a right to. This should be left in the hands of the employers and the fans of Sheffield United to decide, though of course others are entitled to their opinion those opinions should not be forced upon others. In my opinion of course.

Would I want him playing for my club? No. And that's where my opinion begins and ends.

He shouldn't play for Wales again.

When you play for a national team you are representing people, 3m Welsh people so really Coleman has no business even thinking for a second of calling him up if he signs for a club and scored a few goals.

With club football, I wouldn't be against him resuming football...but at a much lower level than he was when he left football. The idea he can just waltz back into league 1 like nothing has happened at let's remember a club who really should be top half championship given their size so commanding a decent salary and playing at a good level sticks in my throat a bit.

Non league earning tuppance and having to work his way up the leagues so really earning his redemption is the way to go.

Why are the club prepared to go through all this backlash for the sake of one average striker?

He isn't to them though. He scored over 30 goals that season. They don't currently have a recognisable good striker.

I'm not saying they should re-sign him but in League 1 he is definitely much more than an "average striker".

Equivalent would be Lee Hughes who got a club in league one pretty quickly after being released on account of his prolific scoring record. Someone will sign him.

Â