Ched Evans

GarethRDR

Er, hang on a minute. What statement? Where have I made a statement that her life is in ruins?

Why would it matter to the women who was raped that the man who did it is able to resume his high profile career while her life is in ruins? Why would it matter that he, a convicted rapist, will on his return be treated like some form of hero again, be cheered and have his name sung by fans? Why would it bother her to see his face, the man who raped her, all over the local press every week in an area I presume she still lives?

Are you actually for real?

(Sorry Trent)(and Donnie)

Er, hang on a minute. What statement? Where have I made a statement that her life is in ruins?

Why would it matter to the women who was raped that the man who did it is able to resume his high profile career while her life is in ruins? Why would it matter that he, a convicted rapist, will on his return be treated like some form of hero again, be cheered and have his name sung by fans? Why would it bother her to see his face, the man who raped her, all over the local press every week in an area I presume she still lives?

Are you actually for real?

(Sorry Trent)(and Donnie)

Question not statement (Sorry Donnie, I Stevo, sorry that isn't your name err, sorry Donnie)

I wasn't saying her life was in ruins (although her dad seems to be) It was a rhetorical question to someone who seems to hold the opinion that the victims thoughts/feelings don't come into it regarding what he does post jail time.

Not quite the same thing.

My thoughts are that if the penal system etc are happy for him to have a job, there should not be restrictions other than that of a safety issue (pedophiles and schooling etc) and thus if a team is willing to take him and his baggage on that is for him to decide.

Whether his punishment for his crimes are severe enough is another story but theoretically he is rehabilitated and on his way to rehabilitated and should be given a second chance.

Don't know if it's been posted already but SUFC made a statement which includes

The Club rejects the notion that society should seek to impose extrajudicial or post-term penalties on anyone.

Maybe they'll fudge it and say he's not the same player or some rubbish.

I'm struggling to understand how you can be considered rehabilitated when still proclaiming your innocence.

Fair enough but that is the system we live in and he should not receive special treatment because his job is more prolific/better paid than other people in his scenario.

ok question, how pedantic. You always have to be right Trent!

If its daft to think he should be allowed to play football again I apologise.

That really isn't what I said as I think you know but I guess it helps deflect away from the stuff from the victims father which shows your stance to be at best I'll informed.

I'm struggling to understand how you can be considered rehabilitated when still proclaiming your innocence.

Fair enough but that is the system we live in and he should not receive special treatment because his job is more prolific/better paid than other people in his scenario.

I agree with you regarding money, that I agree shouldn't be a factor as I posted previously.

Profile is a very different thing all together because of its impact on the victim.

That really isn't what I said as I think you know but I guess it helps deflect away from the stuff from the victims father which shows your stance to be at best I'll informed.

Ok but you are just looking at it from the victims point of view.  If he genuinely believes he is innocent then he has every right to fight to clear his name. Is he doing all this to cause grief to the victim and her family or purely for himself. I'm not taking his side I am just looking at it from both points of view. 

He's not served his time at all. He has served two and a half years of a five year sentence. The five year sentence still applies even if he got out of jail. Someone earlier said they felt there was zero chance of him reoffending which I cannot agree with at all. I don't think he will reoffend but I can see the risk given the sort of circles footballers mix in. Not rapists per say, but they do have lots of women throwing themselves at them all the time which can lead to the belief that every woman is a piece of meat. Ched Evans has clearly felt this in the past, he has shown no remorse so why should he get off scott free? Because he is a good footballer?

The first point in regards his sentence is an excellent one and not one I've seen raised previously in all the debate on this.

Ahem...

I refuse to quote myself but...

;)

• Like 2

He is going through an appeal, which he is quite right to do if he feels there has been a miscarriage of justice, so an admission of guilt, or an apology now would end that appeal.

He is going through an appeal, which he is quite right to do if he feels there has been a miscarriage of justice, so an admission of guilt, or an apology now would end that appeal.

Yes I know, he has already failed previously my point still remains though, he making an appeal doesn't alter that.

Ok but you are just looking at it from the victims point of view.  If he genuinely believes he is innocent then he has every right to fight to clear his name. Is he doing all this to cause grief to the victim and her family or purely for himself. I'm not taking his side I am just looking at it from both points of view. 

Well, yes I am what with her being the victim and him being the convicted rapist and all. 

I have never argued he doesn't have the right to appeal or try (again) to clear his name, he has every right to do that. But he should do that via the proper channels, i.e. the Court of Appeal and not via a website campaign as he and his family/supporters have done. Because in doing so it is having an adverse affect on his victim as you would know if you had read the article I linked or the various other versions out there.

I'm sorry but I see absolutely nothing to suggest you are seeing it from both points of view quite the opposite in fact.

Evans has every right to try and clear his name but I personally believe he should do that via legal channels only and that he shouldn't be in the public spot light of football while he is in that process or indeed unless he is successful.

• Like 2

Well, yes I am what with her being the victim and him being the convicted rapist and all. 

I have never argued he doesn't have the right to appeal or try (again) to clear his name, he has every right to do that. But he should do that via the proper channels, i.e. the Court of Appeal and not via a website campaign as he and his family/supporters have done. Because in doing so it is having an adverse affect on his victim as you would know if you had read the article I linked or the various other versions out there.

I'm sorry but I see absolutely nothing to suggest you are seeing it from both points of view quite the opposite in fact.

Evans has every right to try and clear his name but I personally believe he should do that via legal channels only and that he shouldn't be in the public spot light of football while he is in that process or indeed unless he is successful.

I don't think he's the only person that has used a website to help their campaign for justice. I do see it from both sides. I understand that what he is doing is going to be upsetting for her and the family but he has a right to fight for justice for himself if he thinks his innocent in the best way he see fit.

Edited by PaulC

I don't think he's the only person that has used a website to help their campaign for justice. I do see it from both sides. I understand that what he is doing is going to be upsetting for her and the family but he has a right to fight for justice for himself if he thinks his innocent in the best way he see fit.

No I'm sure he isn't, doesn't mean that it is right or that I have to think its acceptable.

And I'm sorry but nothing in your posts suggests to me that you see it from both sides, far from it in fact because all you've done is post from one perspective on this and said you don't see how it impacts on her. Your posts make him sound in some way a victim in this when he isn't.

Yes he has a right to fight for what he considers to be justice, but that should be via the appeal courts. A website isn't going to see his conviction over turned but it is having an adverse affect on the actual victim in this crime. He has his second appeal, I fail to see what benefit the website is to that process, all it does is give a very one sided view of the events and influence the opinions and in some cases actions of some who opt to take what is posted as fact without giving consideration to the fact there is clearly more to it given he was convicted and lost an appeal.

Have to agree with Trent, you are clearly only looking at this from his perspective and it seems heavily leaning toward the fact there has been some kind of miscarriage of justice toward him. Despite the fact he has been found guilty in court and the appeal court, the victims welfare and well-being should 100% come over the convicted rapist. He lied to the hotel porter to gain access to the room and then escaped through the fire escape after the deed, as guilty as they come and through his actions has forfeited the right to have such a mediacentric career in which the participants are seen as role models imo.

Edited by penguin

Ok we'll agree to disagree on this Trent. All I know is that if I was convicted of rape and spent 2 and half years of my life in prison, had my career wrecked, on the sex offenders list for life and believed I was innocent I would do everything within my power to clear my name and that includes a website, Ok thats looking at it from his perspective. From hers I would just want all this to go away and be able to get on with my life. 

Â