Ched Evans

GarethRDR

Football is now a business, so the decision to employ Evans will come down to the cost of employing him (eg loss if sponsors or stayaway protest fans) vs the money generated from a Ched Evans driven promotion.

Ultimately the public has a very short memory, and next week there'll be someone else in the news deflecting attention away from Evans.

To be honest I suspect it's all a moot point, as being out of the game for 3 years, I'd doubt he'd play at the same standard as before his conviction and he'll end up plying his trade someway below the football league.

Edited by EastEndVillan

Of course an even wider point and one beyond football and even more political regarding the justice system....if maybe more of these serious crime types actually served most of their full sentence these situations wouldn't occur. Ched Evans serving 5 years so 5 years without training at a competitive level for football and coming out at 27 wouldn't quite be so attractive to clubs.

The thing is that you can not look at one case in isolation, it's all or nothing, and I suspect the gov't couldn't afford to make prisoners spend their full sentence in prison. Not to mention any rehabilatory benefits of being released under licence.

I do agree that to be out after 2.5 years does seem lenient.

If he showed some humility and accepted he was a convicted rapist I'd probably support him to get back into employment. 

He's fine to say he wants to clear his name but that video in which he tried to hoodwink people into believing he was in the middle of an appeal was awful. 

He's not in the middle of an appeal, he doesn't have permission to appeal his conviction as yet as far as I'm aware. 

There's a real lack of humility to believe he can just walk into his old job with his old team. Show some humility, drop down the leagues, have a few years without causing any trouble and he'll probably get back to where he was. 

Whoever is advising him, this PR campaign to convince the public of his innocence has done nothing but further humiliate the victim. 

If he showed some humility and accepted he was a convicted rapist I'd probably support him to get back into employment.

Why should he's admitting of guilt be the reason for him being allowed to continue he's career? Serious question

He never denied having sex with the woman in question, from reading about the case it comes down to he's believing that it was consensual and her saying she was too drunk to give consent.

He has served he's time, he should be given the chance to resume he's career. Wherever that may be.

Why should he's admitting of guilt be the reason for him being allowed to continue he's career? Serious question

He never denied having sex with the woman in question, from reading about the case it comes down to he's believing that it was consensual and her saying she was too drunk to give consent.

He has served he's time, he should be given the chance to resume he's career. Wherever that may be.

He hasn't served his time. He's out on license. 

He doesn't have to admit guilt at all but we have an independent judiciary in this country and we have trial by jury. Serious question, what more do you **** want?

Out on license Doesn't mean a thing. In the eyes of the law he has served he's time.

As for what I want, id really like to know why it seems morally ok for convicted killers like Hughes, mckorrmick and meppen Walter to go on and have careers in football whilst Evans cant.

Not forgetting the likes of Paul Gascoigne who was a wife beater and still gets a sympathetic shoulder from the majority of the public.

Out on license Doesn't mean a thing. In the eyes of the law he has served he's time.

As for what I want, id really like to know why it seems morally ok for convicted killers like Hughes, mckorrmick and meppen Walter to go on and have careers in football whilst Evans cant.

Not forgetting the likes of Paul Gascoigne who was a wife beater and still gets a sympathetic shoulder from the majority of the public.

I said I was out but if Ched Evans showed a little remorse most people would support him. I know I would. 

Out on license Doesn't mean a thing. In the eyes of the law he has served he's time .

Not even remotely true.
Why isn't it true?

He has served half of his sentence and will serve the other half under license. He has served he's time.

Edited by Jimzk5

To me this is incredibly simple; if he's out of jail and allowed to resume his life then he should be fully entitled to do whatever he is able to as long as it fits his conditions of release.

It doesn't matter what the crime is, it doesn't matter if he's an idiot, it doesn't matter what job he does - we must attempt to treat all people equally and if that means rich people can't pay their way out of law they equally can't be penalised more than your average Joe.

The argument should only be whether the sentencing of crimes is sufficient. But a postman would be allowed back to work, a head of a company would not be forced to start at the bottom again and a millionaire banker would be allowed to earn his ridiculous salary again. So, for me, he should be permitted to play for whatever club wants to take him on without threat of public backlash. If any backlash exists, it should be again the Justice system.

• Like 1

Out on license Doesn't mean a thing. In the eyes of the law he has served he's time .

Not even remotely true.
Why isn't it true?

He has served half of his sentence and will serve the other half under license. He has served he's time.

He's not actually been released on license. There are currently no plans to send him back unless he breeches the terms of his parole. He has though been released on parole. That doesn't make him a free man in the eyes of the law, not at all.

Just saying.

Hey just in  case anyone wondered. at this point in time of the 15th November 2014 Ched Evans is a convicted rapist  on the Violent and Sex Offender Register. Maybe think about that before you embark on a spirited defence of him.

Edited by KennyPowers

Hey just in  case anyone wondered. at this point in time of the 15th November 2014 Ched Evans is a convicted rapist  on the Violent and Sex Offender Register. Maybe think about that before you embark on a spirited defence of him.

I don't think anyone is forgetting that or defending the man himself. It is the principle of justice/fairness. If the law we all follow suggests he is free to continue his normal life then it doesn't matter what he did, whether he's an idiot or what his job is. If he shouldn't be allowed to then he should still be in jail.

He will have certain restrictions on him but the law does not stop him from being a footballer so it is irrelevant. He can't be a teacher etc, but footballer is not on that list. If it were placed on the list how would you decide - salary cap (so apply to bankers/ self employed entrepreneurs?) or fame (A list not allowed, 'f' list ok....).

I'd never heard of Ched Evans before this so don't have any particular interest particular in him/ the case, but I feel he should be treated like all other released prisoners.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone is forgetting that or defending the man himself. It is the principle of justice/fairness. If the law we all follow suggests he is free to continue his normal life then it doesn't matter what he did, whether he's an idiot or what his job is. If he shouldn't be allowed to then he should still be in jail.

He will have certain restrictions on him but the law does not stop him from being a footballer so it is irrelevant. He can't be a teacher etc, but footballer is not on that list. If it were placed on the list how would you decide - salary cap (so apply to bankers/ self employed entrepreneurs?) or fame (A list not allowed, 'f' list ok....).

I'd never heard of Ched Evans before this so don't have any particular interest particular in him/ the case, but I feel he should be treated like all other released prisoners.

He should be treated the same as any other convicted rapist who has served half their sentence, I 100% agree with you. 

He should be treated the same as any other convicted rapist who has served half their sentence, I 100% agree with you. 

So do you agree? If a office worker can go back to their job then so should he even if he's a footballer on a ridiculous wage.

However, whether either should be entitled to do that after half their sentence is a different matter. Whether five years is sufficient even is another matter. The issue is the law not whether he is a footballer or an average guy.

But that's completely ruling out the idea that the jury can on occasion get it wrong, especially in cases like his where the crime is difficult to conclusively prove.

Don't get me wrong, he was found guilty and therefore we must consider him a rapist unless evidence to the contrary is established. However if he wants to continue to try and clear his name, then so be it.

To me this is incredibly simple; if he's out of jail and allowed to resume his life then he should be fully entitled to do whatever he is able to as long as it fits his conditions of release.

It doesn't matter what the crime is, it doesn't matter if he's an idiot, it doesn't matter what job he does - we must attempt to treat all people equally and if that means rich people can't pay their way out of law they equally can't be penalised more than your average Joe.

The argument should only be whether the sentencing of crimes is sufficient. But a postman would be allowed back to work, a head of a company would not be forced to start at the bottom again and a millionaire banker would be allowed to earn his ridiculous salary again. So, for me, he should be permitted to play for whatever club wants to take him on without threat of public backlash. If any backlash exists, it should be again the Justice system.

I would say a very few people convicted of rape walk straight back into their old jobs. I centanly believe a postman wouldn't, and I wouldn't I know that as a fact.

• Like 1

Â