Diego Maradona

Zatman

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

no right foot, wasnt good in the air, didnt score tap ins.

Overhyped he was no Caniggia

Only scored a lot of goals because he was playing alongside Jorge Burruchaga in the national side.

What a player. Sadly his passing is not a major surprise given his various personal health issues. I think what is more impressive is that he basically dragged Argentina to world cup victory as it was a fairly ordinary side without his prodigious talent. His time at Naples is legendary as he transformed a mid table side into one of the best sides in Europe within a few years. Check out the documentary on this and also Gary Linekar interview with him which showed how crazy his life was after retirement.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

He was so. I once saw him out jump a goalkeeper to score.

OT - Did just cheer me up a little, saw Shilton had blocked someone on twitter last week for posting "shame you didn't punch that high in 86" to a photo of him and his wife 😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Did anyone ever actually see him play in the flesh? 

I'm too young, I caught the end of him, can remember 94 more than anything else, what was the mysticism about him?

There's a difference now, I've seen hundreds of messi games, I've watched several hundred if not a thousand messi clips, my personal favourite Ronaldinho I've watched less but still enough, can imagine Maradona coming round every world cup and sometimes in European games etc made a huge difference 

How often in his barca days or even napoli days could you even see him on TV let alone have the chance to watch him play? Never seen anything to suggest he played a game in England 

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

How often in his barca days or even napoli days could you even see him on TV let alone have the chance to watch him play? Never seen anything to suggest he played a game in England 

He played in the FA Centenary game at Wembley in 1987.

Back then all I remember being on live TV was FA Cup Finals, European Cup Finals and World Cup Finals.

Obviously his genius at the 86 World Cup is what cemented him as the greatest player.  From there he went back to Napoli and won them their first Scudetto in 87 again in 90.  

• Like 2

I was randomly watching this game the other day....very eerie given today's news.

October 1993 so when he was in 30s and past his best. Came out of retirement to play for Argentina and get them to world cup as they just squeezed past the Aussies. Wasn't much in the game but set up the Balbo goal.

Think we have a few posters on here living in Australia so perhaps one might've gone to that game and seen him live?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Napoli are renaming their ground after him.

I think in Italy its a strange rule that you arent allowed build statues or name buildings after living people 

They have already retired No.10 over 20 years ago and Argentina tried at 2002 World Cup but werent allowed

• Like 1

Â