Diego Maradona

Zatman

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

Hard to judge on the GOAT.  You need to plop Maradona into today’s game with fitness training modern players have.  Then you’d have to drop Ronaldo or Messi into the 80s and give them loads of booze and coke.

With much worse pitches, and opponents who aimed to break your legs and refs who allowed it.

Some of the comments in this thread make football in the 1980s sound more like the Battle of the Somme, with saddened physios coming on to cart off the dead and the wounded at regular intervals. I was only 3 at the end of the 1980s, and so maybe I have simply failed to understand how common they were - and I welcome correction - but my prior is that probably broken legs occurred at roughly the same frequency they do now.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Some of the comments in this thread make football in the 1980s sound more like the Battle of the Somme, with saddened physios coming on to cart off the dead and the wounded at regular intervals. I was only 3 at the end of the 1980s, and so maybe I have simply failed to understand how common they were - and I welcome correction - but my prior is that probably broken legs occurred at roughly the same frequency they do now.

maybe but broken legs and heavy tackles back then were potentially career ending tackles. Marco Van Basten had to retire at 29 from the violent tackles he used to receive, maybe with the science now he would have played extra 5 years or so

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It was never that bad. The treatments were nowhere near as sophisticated as today. 

Greatest player of all time without doubt.

I didn't realise how much of an impact he had on my life, I was eight years old in 1986 and I distinctly remember asking my Dad about the Argentina game the morning before. He told me they have a player called Maradona who could beat England all by himself, how right he was and I never have forgotten.

I also remember watching the centenary match live on TV, I think Lineker played too.

Maradona transcended football, the people on social media and press gloating over his life and 'that' handball. It's bad when people focus on the negatives!

I was just watching some clips of his Barcelona days as i've always been a bit of a Barcelona fan since Lineker went there and the goals were immense. But one thing that struck me was the swagger and the love he had for playing football often with a smile on his face well until the Copa Del Rey final, that was epic. He knocked one opposing player out cold with a flying knee!

R.I.P Diego Armando Maradona

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Zatman said:

maybe but broken legs and heavy tackles back then were potentially career ending tackles. Marco Van Basten had to retire at 29 from the violent tackles he used to receive, maybe with the science now he would have played extra 5 years or so

Even up until the late 90's, especially in Serie A. Ronaldo's career was derailed because of all the ridiculous challenges in that league. 

15 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Even up until the late 90's, especially in Serie A. Ronaldo's career was derailed because of all the ridiculous challenges in that league. 

I've often wondered if Luc Nilis would recover in this day and age.

17 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Greatest player of all time without doubt.

I didn't realise how much of an impact he had on my life, I was eight years old in 1986 and I distinctly remember asking my Dad about the Argentina game the morning before. He told me they have a player called Maradona who could beat England all by himself, how right he was and I never have forgotten.

I also remember watching the centenary match live on TV, I think Lineker played too.

Maradona transcended football, the people on social media and press gloating over his life and 'that' handball. It's bad when people focus on the negatives!

I was just watching some clips of his Barcelona days as i've always been a bit of a Barcelona fan since Lineker went there and the goals were immense. But one thing that struck me was the swagger and the love he had for playing football often with a smile on his face well until the Copa Del Rey final, that was epic. He knocked one opposing player out cold with a flying knee!

R.I.P Diego Armando Maradona

Watching the top video I wouldn't say there were many fouls on him that Bilbao got away with, in fact the worst couple got yellows in the first half like they would in today's game.  They way he kneed that guy in the head in the fight was pure UFC!

Maradona had expenses of ... more than 100,000 euros a month!

Once the figure was revealed, no explanations or details were given , but it was commented on where all those funds were going : "This went every month from Diego's account. He said it many times: ' I am feeding 50 families '. Families that make up its members, employees, structures in the country and abroad, "the presenter continued arguing.

Rial and the team continued to debate and expressed their main concern, who is now going to be in charge of getting that money to the families : "Why is this figure important? Because from now on ... Who is going to pay this? ", they explained.

Without any doubt, the economic situation of these 50 families is alarming . It is precisely for this reason that the development of the declaration of the heirs and the adequate distribution of Maradona's inheritance becomes more relevant , since, as Rial himself explains, " now those accounts are frozen by the Justice and nothing can come out ".

https://www.marca.com/futbol/futbol-internacional/2020/12/06/5fcc993a22601df16c8b4621.html

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

DIEGO MARADONA. 7 PEOPLE CHARGED WITH HOMICIDE... After Shocking Investigation

News out of Argentina where SEVEN people have been charged with homicide in the death of soccer legend Diego Maradona.

Maradona passed away back in November from heart failure -- just 2 weeks after undergoing brain surgery. He was only 60.

The Maradona family had suspected there was something fishy behind his death -- which led to a special investigation into the situation.

Police in Argentina raided the house and private clinic of Dr. Leopoldo Luque (the surgeon who performed the brain operation) in the days following Maradona's death -- and clearly, they believe they found enough evidence to prove criminal wrongdoing.

Now, prosecutors in San Isidro, Argentino have announced 7 people -- including Dr. Luque -- have been charged with "simple homicide with eventual intent," according to ESPN.

The other 6 people facing charges include Maradona's psychiatrist Agustina Cosachov -- along with 2 nurses and other medical professionals.

If convicted, they each face up to 25 years in prison.

According to reports, prosecutors believe there is evidence showing Maradona received insufficient medical care following the brain surgery.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/05/20/diego-maradona-death-7-people-charged-with-homicide/

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

8 hours ago, sne said:

A shame for Diego Armando Maradona, I heard a report into his last week's after his operation that stated he was in unbelievable pain until his death.

Sounds a bit like the Michael Jackson cover-up and dodgy care he was supposed to have.

The world can be so tragic at times. 

Just after Maradona died I watched 'Maradona in Mexico' and I felt so sorry for him especially after seeing the film 'Diego' and reading 'El Diego' many years ago.

His life was infiltrated by evil people who corrupted him.

R.I.P Diego.

8 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

A shame for Diego Armando Maradona, I heard a report into his last week's after his operation that stated he was in unbelievable pain until his death.

Sounds a bit like the Michael Jackson cover-up and dodgy care he was supposed to have.

The world can be so tragic at times. 

Just after Maradona died I watched 'Maradona in Mexico' and I felt so sorry for him especially after seeing the film 'Diego' and reading 'El Diego' many years ago.

His life was infiltrated by evil people who corrupted him.

R.I.P Diego.

Maradona in Mexico is a great documentary but so sad. English version is obviously Gazza except Argentina still loved Maradona but Gazza was treated like a joke 

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Â