Diego Maradona

Zatman

Diego Maradona confronts 'coward' fans following match

Diego Maradona has called opposition fans "cowards" after allegedly being involved in a confrontation following a match in the United Arab Emirates.

The trouble started during his club Al Wasl's 2-0 UAE Pro League defeat at Al Shabab, whose fans allegedly started abusing players' wives and girlfriends.

Maradona is understood to have climbed up into the stands to protect his wife.

"Some people are cowards," Maradona told Gulf News. "They only attack women and have no courage to confront men."

He added: "This is the first time I am upset with the fans. If they are angry with me they should know that I [climbed the stands] for my wife because someone was calling her names.

"They shouldn't be angry with me, they should be angry with the people who did this. They are cowards, not real fans.

"I accept defeat but I am not happy with what happened against the fans tonight."

Security, players and Maradona helped wives and girlfriends to exit Al Wasl's stadium, based in the United Arab Emirates. Local media reported that no one was hurt.

It was also reported that Al Wasl player Juan Ignacio Mercier's girlfriend tripped and fell down the stairs as she left the venue, with Mercier then helping her to safety.

Al Shabab coach Paulo Bonamigo told Gulf News that he had not seen the incident.

"By the time that was happening we were already down the tunnel," he said.

"I don't think it had anything to do with our players. So it wasn't a problem with us. I have no comment."

Maradona, who led Argentina to the quarter-finals of the 2010 World Cup, signed a two-year contract with the club in May.

Al Wasl are currently fifth in the UAE equivalent of the Premier League - the UAE Pro League - 15 points behind leaders Al Ain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17560507

• 8 years later...
2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

He's in hospital at the moment but is okay.

Every single report I've seen of it gently hints at "Gone at it a bit hard for his 60h birthday".

No halves.

Probably been at it too hard for the last 40+ years in fairness! Seems to be a bit more serious than over doing it for his 60th now. 

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

A wonderful footballer. Will never forgive him for the handball but his second goal was genius in that game. RIP 

From the hand of God but the head of Maradona

7 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

He was a genius in an era when you could be kicked all over the park.  The stuff he did at Napoli is truly remarkable you have to watch the film a couple of years ago about him.  

RIP El Diego 

Spot on. Was really kicked to bits. Some of the footage really highlights it in that documentary. He moves past any defender, they try for the ball, give up then just kicks him red card'esque for no reason at all. Quite nasty injury he came back from at Barca as well.

Â