Diego Maradona

Zatman

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Did anyone ever actually see him play in the flesh? 

I'm too young, I caught the end of him, can remember 94 more than anything else, what was the mysticism about him?

There's a difference now, I've seen hundreds of messi games, I've watched several hundred if not a thousand messi clips, my personal favourite Ronaldinho I've watched less but still enough, can imagine Maradona coming round every world cup and sometimes in European games etc made a huge difference 

How often in his barca days or even napoli days could you even see him on TV let alone have the chance to watch him play? Never seen anything to suggest he played a game in England 

Seen many of the former greats at Villa park like Pele, Cruyff, Platini and the star of the 78 Argentina team Kempes at West Brom but never Maradona

• Like 2

Terrible year gets terrible-er. Really sad. 60 is way too young, but he lived on the edge for a long time and packed a lot of living into those years. 

Took the torch from Pele and created his own folklore. Total legend. If they're still playing football in 200 years, he will walk right into the all time team.

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I was randomly watching this game the other day....very eerie given today's news.

October 1993 so when he was in 30s and past his best. Came out of retirement to play for Argentina and get them to world cup as they just squeezed past the Aussies. Wasn't much in the game but set up the Balbo goal.

Think we have a few posters on here living in Australia so perhaps one might've gone to that game and seen him live?

I was 8 at the time and it was before I fell in love with football so unfortunately I can't say I did. All I knew about the game was, other than Australia ultimately didn't qualify, was that Paul Wade had the task of man-marking Maradona. I did a quick Google and found this short story of the experience.:

Wade said he had reflected on the match many times and admitted that he "really had no chance" of matching it with Maradona, even with the Argentinian coming back from a drug suspension.

"I look at some of the footage and he was just toying with me.

"I can't imagine what it would have been like playing against the 1986 Maradona.

"Every time I got close to the ball, he would be gone or he would flick it around me."

https://www.socceroos.com.au/news/he-was-just-toying-me-how-wade-tried-freak-out-maradona-marking-him-fifa-world-cup-play

I'm loving seeing all the footage being posted. What a feeling it must have been to be Diego Maradona, at the peak of his powers, bringing joy to so many people.

Edited by Hornso
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Media scum

Indeed.  Really, if everyone is still that wound up about it all these years later, why not just offer Argentina a straight swap; the '86 trophy for the Falklands?  Seems fair to me.

• Like 2

Eleven different Dopefiend stories on the BBC football front page.

Just a tad OTT.

Edit: actually make that 12.

Edited by rjw63

3 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

Indeed.  Really, if everyone is still that wound up about it all these years later, why not just offer Argentina a straight swap; the '86 trophy for the Falklands?  Seems fair to me.

Its something I can never forgive him for to be fair. It tarnished his career. He might be the greatest of all time but I will always say Pele because he was also a great embassador for the game 

Â