Stan Petrov

LondonLax

• 2 weeks later...

Petrov Leaves Hospital, Leukemia Battle Goes on

Bulgaria's Petrov Leaves Hospital, Leukemia Battle Goes on

photo_verybig_140761.jpg

Aston Villa`s captain Stiliyan Petrov and his family took their seats in the directors' box prior to their English Premier League soccer match against Chelsea at the Villa Park stadium in Birmingham, Britain 31 March 2012. Photo by EPA/BGNES

Aston Villa captain, Bulgarian Stilyan Petrov, who was shockingly diagnosed with acute leukemia in March, has been released from a London hospital, but his battle against the horrible disease is far from over.

"Only the professor in charge of Stiliyan's treatment knows how exactly the treatment will continue. The only thing I can tell you is that the treatment will definitely continue," Petrov's father told Bulgarian reporters.

Numerous football players, officials and fans across Bulgaria and Europe have shown their support for the 32-year-old Bulgarian international, who was diagnosed with acute leukemia at the end of March.

The Bulgarian national team doctor said he believed the illness was induced by exposure to the radiation of Chernobyl and a failure at the time by the country's Communist leadership to inform citizens of the danger.

When Chernobyl's Reactor No. 4 exploded, Stiliyan was a boy of 6 in Bulgaria, more than 600 miles to the south.

Petrov has been playing for Villa since 2006, after seven seasons in Celtic; before that he played for CSKA Sofia and PFC Montana. He has 105 appearances and 8 goals for the Bulgarian national football team.

Driving home on a some A road between Hereford and Shrewsbury last Friday I saw a big 18-wheeler parked up in a lay-by, upon passing it noticed that the entire side (that was visible to me) had been adorned with a huge 'Support Stan #19' banner......

Didn't get a good look at the license plate but it was definitely foreign, I'd guess Bulgarian obviously.

Made me smile and really happy to think that someone's flying his flag all over Europe on their travels.

Driving home on a some A road between Hereford and Shrewsbury last Friday I saw a big 18-wheeler parked up in a lay-by, upon passing it noticed that the entire side (that was visible to me) had been adorned with a huge 'Support Stan #19' banner......

Didn't get a good look at the license plate but it was definitely foreign, I'd guess Bulgarian obviously.

Made me smile and really happy to think that someone's flying his flag all over Europe on their travels.

Yeah, they did a story of this on AVTV. It was some Bulgarian shipping/logistics company that was doing this. Great show of support obviously.

Yeah, they did a story of this on AVTV. It was some Bulgarian shipping/logistics company that was doing this. Great show of support obviously.

Cool - it's not just a token effort either, it literally covered the entire wagon!

Are we still going to carry on the 19th minute applause next season? Hope so.

I hope and expect so.

Well I'll be continuing it until he has won this battle and I'd expect everyone else to as well.

Ditto

Cool - it's not just a token effort either, it literally covered the entire wagon!

0102651083628200.jpg

Full story on the OS for those that missed it

Yes he is, his wedding was broadcast live over there apparently

Went skiing 3 years ago in Bulgaria

All the door men at the clubs in the evenings were wearing villa hats and scarves

All down to Stan

Information about Petrovs treatment from now on...

He is now out of hospital and that means he is finished with the intensive chemo treatment and his doctors will know how he has reacted to the chemo, hopefully he has made remission (he propably has) and now he will begin his after treatment. After treatment consist for most part of chemo in pill form and you stay at home for most part, if you dont get infections and stuff. After treatment consist of 13 periods each lasting 12 weeks and in week 1,2 and 3 he will travel to the clinic/hospital and get intravanous chemo, one bag ( i call them that any way, a bag of poison :)) week one Vinkristin, two bags week two Vinkristin and Doxorubicin and one bag week three (first day of each week), except period 10, 11, 12 and 13 where Doxurubicin are replaced by Cytosar and is more than one day, treatment is fast and you go home right afterwards, some get sick of it some arent bothered. Along with this the first three weeks you are on pills called Dexamethasone wich are steroids and are the kings of side effects. Week four are Metotrexathe pills, week five, six and seven Puri-nethol pills, week eight is Metotrexathe again, then week nine, ten and eleven it is again Puri-nethol and finally week twelve it is Metotrexathe.

It is pretty straight forward unless you get ill and have to pause treatment and so on. I myself got diagnosed with Leukemia in July 09 and are still in treatment. I am soon finished with period eleven and i am 24 weeks away this wednesday from calling myself an Leukemia (all) survivor. Actually iam getting very good at this having leukemia thing, i am more worried about getting back to having a normal life afterwards...

By the way i am finishing my treatment on the 19th of December, looking forward to christmas this year :)

Â