Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

Cook wants to be the New Peter Kenyon and is doing a good job of becoming a right p***k.

HIs treatment of Dunne, the Kaka scenario and now the Hughes treatment(like Hughes or not)

He has made City look a smalltime club

agree

I saw his "statement" yesterday on BBC sport. What a twunt

I don't like Hughes much but I think he has been treated like rubbish in this situation. TBH in any sort of race (whether it be for 4th, 5th or 6th) I'm more worried about Liverpool or Spurs. Just seems to be a circus there at the moment but who knows, maybe he will get it right (then again it's a joke at Liverpool as well).

Bloody 'ell

Roberto Mancini's introductory press conference as Manchester City manager degenerated into a major embarrassment for his new employers tonight when the Italian exposed an apparent cover‑up surrounding the events leading to his appointment and forced the chief executive, Garry Cook, to come clean about the covert operation to appoint him behind Mark Hughes's back.

Mancini's admission that he had secretly met the club's owner, Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan, and the chairman, Khaldoon al-Mubarak, in London in the first week of December undermined a statement from Cook in which he indicated that talks with Hughes's replacement had not begun until City lost 3-0 at Tottenham Hotspur last Wednesday.

"We negotiated [with Mancini] on Thursday and finalised his agreement on Friday," Cook said. "He is just the manager we need to take us to the next level. But he was not in the stadium on Saturday, as has been falsely reported."

Hughes was sacked after Saturday's 4-3 defeat of Sunderland, with Mancini waiting in place at the Lowry Hotel in Manchester, having already organised for his scouts to watch the team's next opponents, Stoke City, play at Aston Villa.

"They called me after the Tottenham game but two weeks before that I met the chairman," Mancini said. "That was our first contact. I met the owner as well. We met to discuss this situation, to speak on football. He [Khaldoon] wanted to know what I felt about Manchester City." Mancini went on to claim the appointment was to "speak in general on football" and argued it was acceptable for managers to meet chief executives of rival clubs. Asked what the reaction would have been in Italy if he had met the Milan president, Silvio Berlusconi, when he was managing Internazionale, he said it was "normal".

The damage, however, had been done. Having initially refused to answer questions, Cook found himself under increasingly hostile fire and eventually admitted that talks with Mancini started after City's 1-1 draw with Hull City on 28 November. "The managerial position was discussed in general terms at that meeting. After the Spurs game, there were further discussions on a more serious level."

Cook refused to reply when it was put to him that Hughes had been treated with a lack of respect, but an insouciant Mancini addressed the issue. "This is our job. I am sorry for Mark. But when you start these jobs, this kind of situation is always possible. I was at Inter for four seasons and won seven trophies and then they sacked me. It's football."

Cook had been talked into taking part in the conference because he was so reticent about the line of questioning. In his statement, he insisted the club had been "nothing but transparent with Mark throughout his tenure and had communicated with him regularly over the last several weeks". He added: "The decision to look at managerial options was taken three weeks ago after the Hull game. At the end of last season we set a target of a sixth‑place finish but following the accelerated player acquisition activity in the summer the new target that the playing staff agreed with the board was 70 points. The trajectory of recent results was below this requirement and the board felt there was no evidence that the situation would fundamentally change."

Hughes's sympathisers can point out that the club will have 35 points by the midway point of the season if they win their next two games against Stoke and Wolverhampton Wanderers. Cook said there was "no player rebellion", but Craig Bellamy is so unhappy he is seriously considering making a transfer request.

What is clear is that Sheikh Mansour would have liked Mancini's outlook, as demonstrated by his response to being asked yesterday for his objectives over his three-and-a-half-year contract. "My first target is to finish in the top four," he said. "Then, next season, we want to win the Premier League."

His unveiling, however, was dominated by the questions about the treatment of Hughes and what it said of the people running the club.. Hughes had to take charge of the team on Saturday knowing his replacement had already been appointed but Cook did not answer when he was asked whether he regretted it. The delay, he explained, was because Khaldoon had to "jump on a plane – he was adamant not to do it by telephone, call, fax, text, email. He wanted to do it in person."

Cook wants to be the New Peter Kenyon and is doing a good job of becoming a right p***k.

HIs treatment of Dunne, the Kaka scenario and now the Hughes treatment(like Hughes or not)

He has made City look a smalltime club

City fan here, and I gotta say that even before his disgraceful treatment of the DunneyMonster, about which I suppose Villa fans will say 'every cloud, etc', I wondered how the hell this clown could have made it to the top of the marketing tree in the States.

I have to believe that he's perhaps more an ideas man, than a PR man, so that the Sheik might reckon that despite the fact that he's a walking talking time bomb, the marketing value he adds to the club makes him a marginal asset, rather than the liability his public image suggests him to be.

But having said that The Meeja's relentless pursuit of him this week is a greater indictment of the British Press than it is of Cook

But having said that The Meeja's relentless pursuit of him this week is a greater indictment of the British Press than it is of Cook

In what way?

They're making a big deal of when it was decided to get rid of Hughes and the way he went about it.

Which, to any grown up who knows how sackings are done, shouldn't have been such a big deal.

And if Hughes seriously wants people to believe that he didn't know he was in trouble after that criminally inept performance against Tottenham, then I really feel sorry for him.

Â