Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

On 22/09/2023 at 23:36, villan95 said:

The Premier League are never going to properly punish them by taking titles away etc. because that would be admitting their whole competition has been a farce for the last 10-15 years.

Considering the Premier League title race is over after 6 games then they might need to do this as the most "competitive" league in the world is a farce

• Like 3

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has admitted he has failed to get the best out of Kalvin Phillips since signing him from Leeds United.

Phillips joined City from the Elland Road outfit in the summer of 2022.

Despite his £45m fee, the 27-year-old will start for only the fifth time for City when they take on Newcastle in the EFL Cup at St James' Park on Wednesday.

Translation: Everyone said he wasn’t good enough but my ego thought I would prove them wrong, but they were right. Can’t believe we blew £45m on him and now I can’t offload him because of the ludicrous contract we gave him.

link

On 23/09/2023 at 15:40, LondonLax said:

The whole point of FFP was to stop Man City doing a Chelsea. 

It was a way for the wealthiest clubs to lock out any upstart challengers. 

It’s why I don’t really hold as much animosity towards Man City as some do. They broke the rules but they broke a rule that was specifically designed to stop them challenging the ‘big teams’.  

It should just be abolished and let teams spend as they see fit. 

I hate this argument. It lets them off the hook. 

The debate about FFP and the reason it was introduced is one for a different thread. I don't buy it was just to stop other teams from being successful.

And they didn't just break the rules. They broke the rules and committed numerous acts of financial fraud in order to break those rules and cover it up, whilst other teams didn't. Which meant other teams weren't as successful, managers were sacked, players were sold, clubs were changed. And whilst man city did this for over a decade they thrived. 

You might not agree with the rule but when everyone (or nearly everyone) else is following them it has a major impact on a sporting competition. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I hate this argument. It lets them off the hook. 

The debate about FFP and the reason it was introduced is one for a different thread. I don't buy it was just to stop other teams from being successful.

And they didn't just break the rules. They broke the rules and committed numerous acts of financial fraud in order to break those rules and cover it up, whilst other teams didn't. Which meant other teams weren't as successful, managers were sacked, players were sold, clubs were changed. And whilst man city did this for over a decade they thrived. 

You might not agree with the rule but when everyone (or nearly everyone) else is following them it has a major impact on a sporting competition. 

All I am suggesting is that there is a bit of nuance and context when discussing Man City. I’m not suggesting they should not be punished for breaking rules. 

When people say ‘They only won trophies because they cheated!’ well yes that is true but it doesn’t tell the whole story.

They also only won trophies because they are a very well run club, from the training ground up to the boardroom.

They win matches because they play the game of football better than any other group of players in the league (in the world?). 

Their cheating was them buying a ticket to compete at the top table but once in that group it was their superior management that set them apart from the other ‘big 6’.

Their cheating didn’t mean they blow every other club out of the water. Manchester United and Chelsea out spend them, Arsenal’s spending is not too different from theirs.

When the Man U/Madrid/Milan executives proposed the FFP rules they intended clubs like Man City to stay ‘in their place’ and not pose a threat to Manchester United’s dominance during the 90’s/2000s so I do find it a bit amusing to see that Man City just broke out of the restraints put on them by the likes of Man U/Madrid and took Man U’s place instead 😁

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Translation: Everyone said he wasn’t good enough but my ego thought I would prove them wrong, but they were right. Can’t believe we blew £45m on him and now I can’t offload him because of the ludicrous contract we gave him.

link

Guardiola forced into concocting a reason for Kalvin Phillips being at the club that isn't 'so other clubs couldn't have him'.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I think Man City have already set that with their 115 breaches of FFP.

Man City are yet to be sanctioned for those breaches - when you're battling one of the most powerful legal teams ever assembled, you need to get your ducks in a row before you get into it. I think sometimes people talk about City as if they've gotten away with it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Man City are yet to be sanctioned for those breaches - when you're battling one of the most powerful legal teams ever assembled, you need to get your ducks in a row before you get into it. I think sometimes people talk about City as if they've gotten away with it.

It is a safe assumption that they will get away with it, especially when there has been diplomatic engagement with the Government from the UAE over it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

It is a safe assumption that they will get away with it, especially when there has been diplomatic engagement with the Government from the UAE over it.

We'll see I guess, it might well be that there are other diplomatic pressures from the Saudi's- be interesting to see the balance of that.

On 01/10/2023 at 17:58, OutByEaster? said:

Yeah, that won't just be a simple case in itself given who they're taking on.

When it comes to people talking about City as if they've already gotten away with it, I think is more of a pre-drawn opinion that is probably led by the fact they know they probably will get away with alot of it when that time comes sadly.

I include myself in this and hope that I am wrong and Man City and anyone else is punished accordingly, but ill be amazed if that actually happens.

• Like 1

Long before the days of Saudi cash, Manchester City used to be just another football club. They had their good seasons and their bad ones, as well as fans that stuck with them through thick and thin (rather than some of the fair weather fans, that follow them now). They also had some very good players in the late 60s, when they won the league for a second time. One of those players passed away yesterday.

Frannie Lee joined City from Bolton in 1967 and scored 148 goals in 330 appearances for them. He won the league championship, FA Cup, League Cup  and European Cup Winners Cup with them, before moving to Derby in 1974, where he also won another championship winning medal. He also won 27 England caps, scoring 10 times and played in the 1970 World Cup in Mexico. He was a top player and a expert from the penalty spot, as well in getting the ball placed on the penalty spot. He also liked an occasional fight :) (see below) RIP Frannie! 

image.jpeg.466b0db8047ee0512b66d44b9d406933.jpeg ⎊𝙎𝙪𝙗𝙗𝙪𝙩𝙚𝙤𝙡𝙚𝙜𝙚𝙣𝙙𝙨⚽ on X: "Francis Lee (Derby) v Norman Hunter  (Leeds) 1975. Hunter threw the first punch, splitting Lee's lip before Lee  channelled the spirit of Joe Frazier, throwing left and right hooks A club legend in every sense' - Man City pay tribute to Francis Lee as  former England striker - who won six trophies for the club - dies aged 79  following long 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, John said:

Long before the days of Saudi cash, Manchester City used to be just another football club. They had their good seasons and their bad ones, as well as fans that stuck with them through thick and thin (rather than some of the fair weather fans, that follow them now). They also had some very good players in the late 60s, when they won the league for a second time. One of those players passed away yesterday.

Frannie Lee joined City from Bolton in 1967 and scored 148 goals in 330 appearances for them. He won the league championship, FA Cup, League Cup  and European Cup Winners Cup with them, before moving to Derby in 1974, where he also won another championship winning medal. He also won 27 England caps, scoring 10 times and played in the 1970 World Cup in Mexico. He was a top player and a expert from the penalty spot, as well in getting the ball placed on the penalty spot. He also liked an occasional fight :) (see below) RIP Frannie! 

image.jpeg.466b0db8047ee0512b66d44b9d406933.jpeg ⎊𝙎𝙪𝙗𝙗𝙪𝙩𝙚𝙤𝙡𝙚𝙜𝙚𝙣𝙙𝙨⚽ on X: "Francis Lee (Derby) v Norman Hunter  (Leeds) 1975. Hunter threw the first punch, splitting Lee's lip before Lee  channelled the spirit of Joe Frazier, throwing left and right hooks A club legend in every sense' - Man City pay tribute to Francis Lee as  former England striker - who won six trophies for the club - dies aged 79  following long 

Yep what a great player Francis Lee was. His record at Man City speaks for itself but then he joined Derby and played a leading role in them winning the title in 1975. That punch up with Norman Hunter was something to behold as well.  Cant say we miss that in the modern game but when you see players going down in angony for the slightest touch today and compare that to a full on fist fight where both players stood their ground shows how the game has changed,  RIP Francis Lee. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dodgyknees said:

Nah. They will start winning again.

they're not as strong as last year but after christmas when other teams start to feel the effect of the long season and man city have the likes of grealish and nunes having played 20 games as opposed to saka's 52, thats when you see what man city are

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Fans filmed celebrating the death of Bobby Charlton.

Pure scum.

And the evil rotten media are "slandering" their whiter than white club and apparently they "should be all over it".

Their fans are deranged.  Completely mentally unprepared to cope with success.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Fans filmed celebrating the death of Bobby Charlton.

Pure scum.

They were chanting "Bobby's in a box", and are facing stadium bans. They're a bunch of dickheads, but I do think the ban is a bit OTT personally. 

Guess it's a sign of how much we've progressed in general, for better or for worse I don't think anyone bats much of an eye at that 20 years ago.

• Like 1

Â