What game you currently playing?

Demitri_C

Are you on my PS3 friends? I wouldve played it with you, man. The asian sounding bit is weird though, generally the only people who use mics are English, French, Dutch or German. As it's an EU only server. You couldve bumped into one of the Turkish contingent though I guess.

No I haven't got any VT'ers on my PSN or Xbox LIVE, I know there's that sticky thread at the top to post your gamertags and whatnots but I just figured no-one looked at that anymore since people rarely post on it. Thanks for the offer though, feel free to add me, Jyukko on PSN and BadgerTrap on LIVE, all are welcome, however I probably won't be buying SARPBC anytime soon. Like I said, plenty of other games to be playing and I'm out of a job at the moment and starting a fulltime college course in September so money is a bit tight. Saying that, I did just buy both Trine games on the Steam Summer Sale but combined they were only £7, absolute bargain.

Yeah theres elements to it I dislike I must admit. The potion/oils thing is interesting but done slightly wrong, some of the menu layout is baffling...

The thing that has most annoyed me about it so far is the seeming difficulty in getting anywhere in some quests. I'm still only a few hours in, in Flotsam, and I'm being told 'Go talk to your mates at the inn to find out more' and... well... I can't. They don't talk about what I'm there for. This kind of thing reoccurs again and again. Then theres sloppy stuff like having to read a book on a monster to learn about it before going to fight it - cool, I'm ok with that. But then it neglects to mention where the book shop in the town is. It's not even marked as a shop on the map. I had to use Google to find out.

I'm still enjoying it but stumbling around the map talking to everything to get the plot/quests going is tiresome as anything.

The menu layout is a bit confusing and tricky to get to grips with. As for your trouble questing, the game comes with a Quest Handbook which will help you with that stuff, although as a criticism I would say any game that feels it has to provide a thick, detailed book to help you with individual quests should probably have made those quests more intuitive. Flicking through a book every quest does seem to take the fun and discovery out of it all. I still enjoy the game, but it's on the backburner for a while now whilst I play through Skyrim, a game full of quests which don't require me to read through a manual, and Trine which is just fun and pretty.

Picked up Rage for £7.50 off shopto.net, been playing it all afternoon, great game. The whole post apocalyptic theme is right up my street.

Yeah I wasn't too impressed with Rage either, but then again I only played the demo so perhaps the full game is better, I haven't heard too many great things from friends who have played it though. It looks really pretty and the high framerate certainly helps, but doesn't it have issues with loading textures? I guess a fair few games do, that's not what put me off it though, I just found it a tad boring and it didn't have the depth and character that other post-apocalyptic games do. I love Fallout 3 and I think Borderlands is a great game, but Rage just didn't do much for me.

Bought the Witcher 2 yesterday, sparked it up today. Played through the prologue, I've enjoyed it so far. The tutorial had a bit flummoxed but I'm picking it up. Looks great for a 360 game although the framerate has, obviously, suffered. Getting invested in the plot already too - bodes well.

(I love repeating this) Got bored of it after just an hour or 2 of play.

Not the worst I've ever played but definitely one of, if not the, most overrated. All in my opinion of course.

I must be missing something.

• 2 weeks later...

Still got the Witcher on the go but it's taken a slight back burner role since I've got less time on my hands at the mo, and because I got a bit of a bargain. I've wanted to play Marvel Ultimate Alliance for ages, but it's always maintained it's value (seemingly because it was quite rare) and also, since the Avengers, has actually gone up in price even more. A second hand copy (6 years old now and no longer in production - hell, the license isn't even held anymore by the same companies) goes for over £20, usually closer to £30.

So I was delighted to get a copy for £11. :D. It's erm... it shows it's age and the production values are terrible, it comes from that brief era from early in this console life cycle where companies where developing across the generations and so 360 titles were often just upscaled PS2 titles, which is exactly what this is really. It also has numerous bugs and glitches - I unlocked Dr. Strange and then didn't have him appear in my hero selection screen, for instance, leading to a redo of that whole section to get it to unlock again. And it's a rather simple affair, but I really like it. You spark it up for an hour, do a 'dungeon', save and and walk away. And all along the thing chucks obscure bits of Marvel universe and lore at you and leaves you grinning. Cheesy, ropey... fun. Bit annoying that, since the license is gone, the DLC is no longer available and never will be again, so a few choice characters are off the menu, but hey ho.

I'll be stepping back to the Witcher when MUA is out of the way. Quite savouring it. MUA seems to have a bit of a length to it (plus being an achievement hunter it's got a few of those to grind away at) and some other unlockables so the Witcher might have to wait rather longer than I might have expected.

I always wanted to play Marvel Ultimate Alliance but never got around to buying it. Shame it's still so expensive.

As for me, I've been playing through Trine that I got via the Steam Sale but I've completed that on the hardest difficulty so now it's a toss up between some of the other titles I got from the sale. Trine 2 (probably not because I fancy a change), The Longest Journey, Recettear or, my most likely choice, Psychonauts. Yeah, pretty sure next up will be Psychonauts.

I also got The Longest Journey in the sale and am looking forward to getting round to it. Can't recommend Psychonauts strongly enough though, love it. It took an hour or two to get off the ground for me, but when the dream-entering mechanic came properly into the game it just busted through all my expectations. I've probably gushed about it on here before.

I'm playing Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit and it's blowing me away. It's my first NFS game since playing the original Hot Pursuit yonks ago on my friend's PS1. Normally I go in for the semi-serious half-simulation type games like GRiD and DiRT (and honestly I prefer the tougher handling in those) but the actual chases in this are so massively enjoyable. I love the absurdity of the car selection and the game world too; the idea that a police force would shell out on $300k supercars just to line them up in roadblocks to be smashed to bits by Lambos with nitro... Hilarious.

I was playing and enjoying Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition recently too, but I took one too many beatings online and it depressed me. Not because I can't take a beating, but because I remember being pretty good at online bouts in the vanilla SF4. I even had a couple of replays saved under my profile where I put on a slick show with Zangief, my main. Now I just totally stink and I'm losing to people who're obviously playing for the first time! Don't know what's happened there.

Occasionally playing Dwarf Fortress on and off. I was about to quit after 54 of my dwarfs (out of a total of 60) and a baby got massacred by half a dozen poorly equipped goblins. But then a huge load of Polish dwarf immigrants came and cleaned the place up and now my fortress is ticking by nicely again. A minotaur even came to steal my goodies and we beat the snot out of him, so I'm feeling sweet on this game again.

I always wanted to play Marvel Ultimate Alliance but never got around to buying it. Shame it's still so expensive.

Playing through MUA2 with my brother recently, can be fun, so long as you can look past a it of repetitiveness.

I finished Half Life earlier today. Not exactly an easy game, is it? Is Half Life 2 similar in that regard? It wasnt so much the enemies that annoyed me in terms of difficulty (although the last bit was pretty unforgiving), more so the 'platforming' bits - the jumps from platform to platform, moving platform to moving platform, etc, etc. The way you 'skid' when landing from jumps took some getting used to, and the amount of times I landed where I wanted to only to slip off the edge, and start all over again, had me tearing my hair out in parts. But it was pretty good. Obviously the narrative of the story is very flimsy, but you know enough to get you plodding along towards the end. And the end, well, I dont really know what that was all about, but maybe I'll find out in the later games.

What I did like was hearing some of the familiar sound effects - familiar for me from Portal, although I guess alot of people would have experienced that the other way around. I'll get into Half Life 2 soon.

The Xen platforming sections of HL1 are widely acknowledged as the worst parts of that game and can sour your memory of it a bit. I still remember the rest of the game being excellent for the level design and atmosphere. Honestly I can't say which I prefer.

HL2 is a much easier game with practically no platforming, but the best parts of it definitely have a HL1 feel to them - the 3 way epic battles, eerie environments and atmospheric lonesome parts like in Nova Prospekt, the railway bridge, etc. HL2 is a lot less enclosed and has a lot more fast paced cinematic-style action to it, though.

But really they are from games different generations of tech so it's hard to compare. HL2 rewrote the book on in-game physics at the time and it was like nothing I'd ever seen before when I first played it.

At the time HL2 blew me away and even going back to it now, I cant think of a similar game that comes close to recreating the atmosphere it had. The gravity gun levels on the beach that has you scavenging for fridge doors and wooden planks to walk across, ravenholme, city 17 etc..... the pinnacle of game design for me, all of it really apart from the vehicle bits is just fantastic.

Probably my all time favourite game. I want to play it again now!

HL2 is still difficult, imo. But it's not difficult because of frustrating bits like that. It's just difficult because of hard enemies. I won't give anything away but those bits with the walkers had me stuck for ages.

But HL2, and the add ons, is just a fantastic game. Loved pretty much every minute of it

Well I started Psychonauts which is a lot of fun but I'm also in the process of downloading The Lord of the Rings Online and Tribes Ascend on Steam because they're both free to play and they sound like a lot of fun. I haven't played an MMORPG since I quit WoW years ago so I'm looking forward to having a go at LOTRO, it's free so you can't really go wrong. As for Tribes, well it just sounds like a load of madness so it should be a laugh to play when I want something quick and fun to waste some time on.

Ran through veteran mode on Modern Warfare 2 which I finished at the weekend, it was obviously difficult but not too bad, so I thought I'd do Black Ops aswell, **** me it's twice as difficult as MW2 as a game imo. I never noticed it as much on hardened but veteran is ridiculous. The mission in Vietnam I think it is when you have to reclaim the area is unreal! Good fun though.

I've been quite late getting into the Total War series, but Shogun 2 is an absolutely remarkable game, love it. The only problem is my computer coughs and splutters and makes noises I didn't even know it was capable of making while playing it, it's certainly majorly traumatic to my pc. To see the battles running on a top pc would be something to behold.

MUA is absolutely riddled with bugs. I don't think I've had a character unlock without some kind of issue - I unlocked Daredevil and he's not available to pick, but earned the achievement and got the change the game makes when he is unlocked. I unlocked Ghost Rider in the course of the story and every time I reload a save he's not there anymore (which is particularly annoying as he appears to be absurdly overpowered for my play style), to the point that on reloading a save this evening the game replaced him in my party with Ms Marvel, a character I've never used. I just unlocked Black Panther - got the achievement, the game tells me he's open for us, go to change party and he's unpickable.

Amongst other niggles.

Hmm.

Â