What game you currently playing?

Demitri_C

I've been quite late getting into the Total War series, but Shogun 2 is an absolutely remarkable game, love it. The only problem is my computer coughs and splutters and makes noises I didn't even know it was capable of making while playing it, it's certainly majorly traumatic to my pc. To see the battles running on a top pc would be something to behold.
I had this experience too. Strangely it was the campaign map screen which was way more taxing on my hardware than the battle graphics. The battles ran like butter but the map tried to melt my graphics cards every time... some weird lack of optimisation going on there.

I eventually stopped playing Shogun 2 because the DLC situation confused the shit out of me. Some stuff was in the in game encyclopedia but wasn't available without DLC purchase, so I ended up following long tech trees to build units that weren't available to me. Couldn't be arsed in the end, but I really enjoyed it up until I gave up.

As soon as I get home tonight I'm getting on the 'Transformers: Fall of Cybertron' demo. Game is going to be freaking awesome.

tumblr_lq8vq07c8c1qiqzv0.gif

Demo?! PSN exclusive? As I cant see it on xbl

Anyone play LOTRO? Downloaded it on Steam since it's Free To Play, just wondering if anyone has any advice with regards to which server to go on, beginners tips, that sort of thing.

I'm in Ravenholm on Half Life 2. It's good! I like how there is very little ammo scattered around. I turned a corner to descend a set of stairs to be confronted by 6 or so head crabbed zombie types. What was the best way to deal with them? I fought the urge to panic, and chucked a couple of grenades down there as I backed away from the staircase. Unfortunately a couple of them survived, made it to the top of the staircase, and then I did panic. Didnt change my weapon, so I ended up chucking my last 2 remaining grenades at them v___v I am pretty sure I will wish I didn't do that at some point in the near future...

Well I'm assuming GOTY includes the DLC like Undead Nightmare right? If so that's still a really good price.

As for Ravenholm, hogso, survival is what it's all about. If the only way out of there was to chuck your last grenades then so be it ;)

That level is a lot of fun but creepy as shit when you hear those things howling and racing over the rooftops.

I'm in Ravenholm on Half Life 2. It's good! I like how there is very little ammo scattered around. I turned a corner to descend a set of stairs to be confronted by 6 or so head crabbed zombie types. What was the best way to deal with them? I fought the urge to panic, and chucked a couple of grenades down there as I backed away from the staircase. Unfortunately a couple of them survived, made it to the top of the staircase, and then I did panic. Didnt change my weapon, so I ended up chucking my last 2 remaining grenades at them v___v I am pretty sure I will wish I didn't do that at some point in the near future...
Get comfortable with the gravity gun and ammo won't be a problem in Ravenholm. Use every sawblade, breezeblock, meathook, radiator and paintcan... especially the paintcans. Paint those bastards to death.

Get comfortable with the gravity gun and ammo won't be a problem in Ravenholm. Use every sawblade, breezeblock, meathook, radiator and paintcan... especially the paintcans. Paint those bastards to death.

This.

The saw blades are my favourite. They go through the enemies so if you're confronted with 5 or 6 there's a good chance you'll take a load of them out with one shot.

• 2 weeks later...

I downloaded Dust: An Elysian Tail today, the last Summer of Arcade release and, by all accounts, the highlight of a poor, poor year for SOA.

I'd been interested in it, because I like that Metroidvania influenced game style (2d platforming with decent combat, and exploration edge that you gain abilities throughout to open up new areas of the map and back track to use them in earlier areas), but every time I looked at it my eyes were offended.

It's been made by just 1 guy and it's an achievement in itself, unfortunately the bloke is a big fan of the 'DeviantArt' aesthetic, and is a furry. So all the characters are hideous faux manga/Japanese inflected anthropomorphic animals all just the wrong side of trying to look 'cool' or, worse, a little sexy, with the big eyes thing every Japanese animation has had since year dot. And the environments look like they've been done by someone with a bit of skill on photoshop but little talent for appealing, original art, absolutely not a pro, and having no idea of scaling back a little... which means every single environment has garish and overwrought look. Even the dark sections are somehow cloying to the eyes. The game is made with very bold, flat, colours, and then many of the environments have an almost painterly effect, which looks exactly like you'd expect if you coloured something on Photoshop with the brush tool. A lot of the enemies have an almost sprite like feel to them. It's hideous, frankly.

It's a shame really because underneath the game is decent. It has a lot of polish to the gameplay and a lot of systems that frankly didn't need to be there (a crafting system for instance) have been put in. The combat feels a little unwieldy and doesn't, thus far, really, punish mashing asides from a slightly increased feeling on being on the cusp of having no control over the combat. But it works and it satisfies that itch for combo building. And it moves fantastically, the animation (horrible look of everything in the entire game notwithstanding) is top notch, apart from a slightly weird... frame-y... feel to the 'cutscenes' (play it, or the trial at least, and you'll see what I mean). It's a fun, good game (not great like some reviews will have you believe, mind. It's not that good.

I dearly wish that this had been made by someone who could whack a really great aesthetic on top of it. Because what we have here is a fundamentally good piece of work, but one someone decided to paint over the top of with arse gravy.

May pick this up Gareth, WfC was good in the sense that it was a decent tf game but ran out of steam/ideas, but FoC looks fantastic, demo was great and looks like it improves in every way.

May pick this up Gareth, WfC was good in the sense that it was a decent tf game but ran out of steam/ideas, but FoC looks fantastic, demo was great and looks like it improves in every way.
Plus **** DINOBOTS.

tumblr_m5x8q9c6OA1qzcn95.gif

Picked up Darksiders II yesterday. Had a few old games to trade in and was originally going to pick up Sleeping Dogs, but had a quick change of mind. I haven't played Darksiders I, which is recommended really as far as the continuation of the story, but I'm not too fussed.

First impressions: Very positive; I understand what i'm getting at. A game that has taken many, many elements from other games, Zelda, Prince of Persia, Shadows of Colossus, God of War - It's all in there, but it still feels like its own game. I like the graphical style, it's not amazing but it has a distinctive style. The world seems huuuuuge, the panning camera on open fields when you're flying around on your horse of death, is a great feeling. The quick looting, smooth hack'n'slashing, it's all been really fun so far. Difficulty level seems good, on normal i've had some real tests on groups of mobs and bosses i've reached so far have been very epic.

The downside and it's quite a big niggle, is the climbing and jumping mechanics, it's extremely sloppy and very, very frustrating. Fairly often the controls just don't react to what you're actually pressing. Although this sounds like a huge flaw, the fact that when you plummet to your death from falling off walls, which will happen all the time - the game just picks you up quickly, with no loading screen and puts you back to the point before you fell, so you can quickly get back on with it without any fuss. So in that aspect, it's not that bigger deal.

But yeah, so far, pretty fun. Looking forward to getting back to it.

I really need to pick up the first Darksiders, must be dirt-cheap by now.

I got it for free on PSN, played about 15 minutes of it, didnt have a **** clue what was going on, but it was quite fun. I intended to go back to it at a later date...that was about 2 months ago...

Â