What game you currently playing?

Demitri_C

14 minutes ago, Risso said:

You really do.  Four hours isn't enough to even scratch the surface of the surface.  Took me about that long to get used to the controls, but once I had, I really started to enjoy it.  After I'd finished, I was convinced it was the greatest game ever.

I'll probably revisit it, although I did nearly sell my PS4 the other day. 

I think it suffered from me playing it right after BOTW as well, which is the same kind of game just seemingly done far far better

RDR2 was just so dull and slow in comparison. Walk here. Watch long cutscene. Ride your horse there. Watch long cutscene. Shoot this person. Watch long cutscene. End of mission.

13 minutes ago, Risso said:

I started playing Super Mario Odyssey on the Switch over Xmas.  It's just not my cup of tea at all.

Maybe we're just very different? :)

Thought Odyssey was amazing

Edited by Stevo985

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

RDR2 was just so dull and slow in comparison. Walk here. Watch long cutscene. Ride your horse there. Watch long cutscene. Shoot this person. Watch long cutscene. End of mission. 

f72240d6-507b-4b18-9a38-e48707e9225e_tex

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I just got to Chapter 2 did a few missions and spent ages getting all the satchels which meant loads of hunting. Been doing the challenges as well but annoying some to complete you basically need to finish the game. I'm still only Chapter 3

I think some of the realism made traversing the world tedious, I'm playing AC odessey for example where you can unrealistically climb up jump off just about anything but it makes the huge map easier to run round

The amount of hours I must have spent holding down whatever button it was to make your horse automatically follow the trail

GTA barely got away with some of the drives around the top of the map, RDR2 doesn't get away with it, it's too much, not sure what the answer is, they'll never introduce ubisofts tower / fast travel solution 

Well, RDR 2 does have stagecoaches, trains, and the camp upgrade map thing, so it's not like the whole game is completely without any fast travel options at all 

it does but the games definitely geared up for your horse

would also say that a good chunk of my gaming is the 30 minute / hour slot between me getting home and the wife getting home, I found a huge amount of my time on RD ended up being "I don't want to do that mission because it might take too long, **** it lets go hunting" I spent a crazy amount of time hunting and that's more or less all horse, 30 minute gaming session, decide what im going to hunt, 10 mins on the horse to the location, shoot some things, skin them, load the horse up, 5 mins to go sell them 

I would say around half my time playing RD was spent on the horse or travelling by foot to where I wanted to be, maybe more

back to AC, I think the mechanics of looting (just walk past the thing and press triangle) are quicker, the travelling is quicker, I don't think the world is more interesting but its just quicker and easier which at times makes it better

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

would also say that a good chunk of my gaming is the 30 minute / hour slot between me getting home and the wife getting home

Haha, right on. It's usually stuff like Wreckfest and Rocket League for me during this time (it should definitely have a universal name). Anything more exotic than that and I'm faced with a barrage of 'what's this piffle', 'when you turning this off', and 'if you're keeping this on I'll do the shopping on my own'. 

Fortunately at the moment I'm playing Trails to Zero on PSP! 

9 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Have you ever played any Uncharted games? If not, I'm very envious of you.

I think number 1 is showing its age, just some of the cover and shooting mechanics (which I know some don't like anyway) feel dated

but its an excellent series, I borrowed number 1 off a mate after it came out, wasn't fussed by it at launch for some reason, cant remember if the tomb raider nods put me off because TR at that point had gone to shit, finished it in 2 days including maybe the biggest single session I've ever put in to a game (other than FM) it was about a 9 or 10 hour all dayer

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I think number 1 is showing its age, just some of the cover and shooting mechanics (which I know some don't like anyway) feel dated

but its an excellent series, I borrowed number 1 off a mate after it came out, wasn't fussed by it at launch for some reason, cant remember if the tomb raider nods put me off because TR at that point had gone to shit, finished it in 2 days including maybe the biggest single session I've ever put in to a game (other than FM) it was about a 9 or 10 hour all dayer

The first one is a bit dated, but Uncharted 2 is one of my all-time favourite games. Love how cinematic they feel.

• Like 1

they're arguably the best 3rd person action games, they get away with the illusion of an open world rather than an actual one which means they can create big interesting arenas whilst still being story and set piece driven and as @jacketspuds says the cinematic feel and story element of it all is top notch which makes up for the not perfect gameplay, the only game better at story telling is the last of us IMO, as a package they're stunning games

• Like 1

Alongside The Last of Us, I find The Uncharted series the most bafflingly overrated games of all time.

Couldn't get into a single one (and I've tried them all).

I know they are very positively reviewed but definitely a case of 'Things You Don't Get' in my experience.

• Like 1

Certainly with regards to the Uncharted series, they're awfully shallow. Last of Us has a far stronger narrative which makes it a far superior game, but even then the gameplay isn't all that (perhaps unless your play it on grounded which removes the superhero esque abilities of Joel present on the other difficulties).

I'd suggest that based purely on gameplay, Tomb Raider reboots did it better. 

Having said all that, I am a fan of Uncharted, the second and third in particular are great fun - akin to a blockbuster movie for me. You'll easily find more substance in other games, but for a daft few hours, they're well worth it. 

Tomb raider shot its load, 3rd reboot game was bang average, not enough development between them, as a series they're not as good imo and uncharted 2 is better than any of them

Naughty Dog have the luxury that they drive the quality up via the story and the set pieces (take the train stuff in number 2) meaning the fairy minor gameplay tweaks don't mean it's stale 

Â