What game you currently playing?

Demitri_C

On 09/01/2020 at 14:20, Designer1 said:

Alongside The Last of Us, I find The Uncharted series the most bafflingly overrated games of all time.

I didn't like the first one at all when it first came out, I was all about the big open world experiences.

As my time has become more limited though, I've found a new appreciation for a really well crafted linear game, and I revisited the Uncharted series and ran through the whole thing, I love the series. Whereas I find GTA, RDR2, and The Witcher 3 to be tedious timesinks. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/01/2020 at 14:20, Designer1 said:

Alongside The Last of Us, I find The Uncharted series the most bafflingly overrated games of all time.

Couldn't get into a single one (and I've tried them all).

I know they are very positively reviewed but definitely a case of 'Things You Don't Get' in my experience.

I think you’re being too generous. I hated all of them. Truly tedious gameplay in my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

In the spare minutes I have here and there I've been trying to finish the original Super Mario Bros. on the Switch. Bringing back all the memories and also how much touch I've lost. Those Hammer Bros. man...

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I managed an hour and never went back to it.  Did you ever give it another chance?

Nope. Not yet.

I've got no desire to go back. If it wasn't for how good so many people said it was I wouldn't give it a second look.

I still might.

On 22/02/2020 at 10:43, Stevo985 said:

Nope. Not yet.

I've got no desire to go back. If it wasn't for how good so many people said it was I wouldn't give it a second look.

I still might.

The first is one of my favourite games ever, but I also quit the second one about 4-5 hours in to the campaign (I put more time in to it than that, but not following the story).

I won't give it another chance, for me the problem is two-fold. Life has changed a lot between those games coming out and I don't really have the time, these days I vastly favour a really tight, well executed 8-12 hour game over a sprawling 45+ hour campaign (same reason I never stuck with Witcher 3).

Additionally, I think the Rockstar cookie cutter for their games is just looking awfully dated these days. The mission style and gameplay mechanics really haven't changed much at all in their games over the last decade. I hope to never see another "mission failed" screen because I tried to flank an enemy instead of running head on in the direction the devs wanted me to. I could happily spend a few evenings just exploring the world they've made, but I find their games increasingly tedious.

Edited by Davkaus

20 hours ago, Davkaus said:

The first is one of my favourite games ever, but I also quit the second one about 4-5 hours in to the campaign (I put more time in to it than that, but not following the story).

Yeah same. First one was incredible. One of my favourites ever. 

20 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I won't give it another chance, for me the problem is two-fold. Life has changed a lot between those games coming out and I don't really have the time, these days I vastly favour a really tight, well executed 8-12 hour game over a sprawling 45+ hour campaign (same reason I never stuck with Witcher 3).

Additionally, I think the Rockstar cookie cutter for their games is just looking awfully dated these days. The mission style and gameplay mechanics really haven't changed much at all in their games over the last decade. I hope to never see another "mission failed" screen because I tried to flank an enemy instead of running head on in the direction the devs wanted me to. I could happily spend a few evenings just exploring the world they've made, but I find their games increasingly tedious.

I don't have the time but I'm pretty good at just letting these games take me forever. Breath of the Wild took me almost 2 years to complete because I couldn't put hours and hours in at a time like I used to.

Agree about the cookie cutter. I still like it, I think I'll still enjoy the next GTA. But RDR2 was just so slow. I know people say it picks up but it was excruciating.

I see Two Point Hospital is released tomorrow for the Switch.

Luigi's mansion didn't hold my attention so I'm looking for another Switch game to play.

Never played Theme Hospital (I know!) so looking forward to getting into this one.

Edited by Stevo985

Almost done with God of War, taken me a lot longer than I planned.

It's an incredible game, but wasn't as enjoyable as The Last of Us for me.

Maybe it's just not my type of game. I can see why the reviews were so high though, some of the scenes and battles are fantastic.

Next up on my quest to play all of the PS4 exclusives I'm going with Uncharted 4.

On 19/02/2020 at 09:07, Hornso said:

In the spare minutes I have here and there I've been trying to finish the original Super Mario Bros. on the Switch. Bringing back all the memories and also how much touch I've lost. Those Hammer Bros. man...

Finally kicked Bowsers arse, then kicked it again on the increased difficulty version. Time to have a crack at another NES game.

• Like 2

Life is Strange 2 is my current play. I'm on the final episode and will finish it tomorrow. I only play it when the fiancee is home as she has invested in the story too. I love these sorts of games so much, the Telltale catologue, Life is Strange 1, Before the Storm, 2, Fahrenheit, Beyond 2 Souls, Becoming Human:Detroit, Heavy Rain. I can't get enough of them but sadly, after them lot, there doesn't seem to be much more in this sort of style unless you guys and gals have any tips. 

I love the choices sort of style even if some just get you to the same point regardless in the main. I am shit at games and just want to play decent stories without needing to be good. I'd probably like plenty of stories in some games but I have zero interest in armouring up, manipulating weapons, upgrading spells and all that sort of thing. I like just pressing X or choosing what line I want to say to a character. 

I love Life is Strange 2, I wish it would never end because it'll be yonks until the next one is released. 

I liked LA Noire to a point but the interrogations were abysmal from memory, you'd think you were saying one thing or behaving a certain way and the question would come out confrontational or you couldn't read people properly. 

All recommendations welcome.

On 24/02/2020 at 22:29, Hornso said:

Finally kicked Bowsers arse, then kicked it again on the increased difficulty version. Time to have a crack at another NES game.

Super Mario Bros 3? :)

Skip 2, I never really liked that anyway

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Wezbid said:

Life is Strange 2 is my current play. I'm on the final episode and will finish it tomorrow. I only play it when the fiancee is home as she has invested in the story too. I love these sorts of games so much, the Telltale catologue, Life is Strange 1, Before the Storm, 2, Fahrenheit, Beyond 2 Souls, Becoming Human:Detroit, Heavy Rain. I can't get enough of them but sadly, after them lot, there doesn't seem to be much more in this sort of style unless you guys and gals have any tips. 

I love the choices sort of style even if some just get you to the same point regardless in the main. I am shit at games and just want to play decent stories without needing to be good. I'd probably like plenty of stories in some games but I have zero interest in armouring up, manipulating weapons, upgrading spells and all that sort of thing. I like just pressing X or choosing what line I want to say to a character. 

I love Life is Strange 2, I wish it would never end because it'll be yonks until the next one is released. 

I liked LA Noire to a point but the interrogations were abysmal from memory, you'd think you were saying one thing or behaving a certain way and the question would come out confrontational or you couldn't read people properly. 

All recommendations welcome.

Have you played Fire watch, What Remains of Edith Finch, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Gone Home, or Oxenfree? 

A lot of these are walking sims, and are different in style to LiS, but tick the strong story/non challenging box. 

Possibly a long shot, but have you ever tried any virtual novel games? 

Edited by hogso

16 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Super Mario Bros 3? :)

Skip 2, I never really liked that anyway

Greatest Mario game ever imo. 2 is kind of fun and novel, but it's not really a Mario game.

The original Japanese SMB2 is another story. @Hornso if you found Hammer Bros hard in 1 wait till you play this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Greatest Mario game ever imo. 2 is kind of fun and novel, but it's not really a Mario game.

The original Japanese SMB2 is another story. @Hornso if you found Hammer Bros hard in 1 wait till you play this.

Is that the Lost Levels that came with Super Mario All Stars on the SNES?

Â