coda

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He shouldn't have got another top flight job after the first time he managed Chelsea. He DEFINITELY shouldn't have got one after he managed Everton.

Yet here he is

Being a white ex footballer (a good one) is a huge asset if you want to be in the management game

Yep. Les Ferdinand had a point.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think it's pretty obvious that it helps to be white when it comes to opportunities in football management in England.

You think Ince would have got 3 premier league jobs in a row despite failing miserably in all of them?

Will we see Vieira get another opportunity at a top club if he doesn't prove himself elsewhere? I doubt it

Ince failed once at Blackburn and then was banished to the Championship forever :lol:

I think it has more to do with being media darlings to be honest (maybe being white helps with that). I don't see John Terry for example being afforded the same opportunities due to his various controversies. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Come on Paul Inces standing in English football is nowhere near Frank lampards, not even close

You're talking about a guy who would be in the conversation, you're talking about a guy who rightly or wrongly would be in the conversation for best PL midfielder  ever

Throw Gerrard in too, the only black English players that come close to their reputation are Cole and Rio, no one else is anywhere near

Sol Campbell. Ironically the guy who's been ridiculed for the last decade or 2 for bringing up these same points.

Lynchpin of The Invincibles and 2nd youngest captain of England. Only English player to play in 6 consecutive major tournaments, being named in the TotT in 2 of them. His CV is up there with the best of them.

25 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Sol Campbell. Ironically the guy who's been ridiculed for the last decade or 2 for bringing up these same points.

Lynchpin of The Invincibles and 2nd youngest captain of England. Only English player to play in 6 consecutive major tournaments, being named in the TotT in 2 of them. His CV is up there with the best of them.

The thing about Sol is that by all accounts he's an insufferable word removed that nobody likes

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Ince failed once at Blackburn and then was banished to the Championship forever :lol:

I think it has more to do with being media darlings to be honest (maybe being white helps with that). I don't see John Terry for example being afforded the same opportunities due to his various controversies. 

Ince is a different situation though. He is a prick and can see boards and big name players refusing to work with him and probably why he has been banished

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Come on Paul Inces standing in English football is nowhere near Frank lampards, not even close

You're talking about a guy who would be in the conversation, you're talking about a guy who rightly or wrongly would be in the conversation for best PL midfielder  ever

Throw Gerrard in too, the only black English players that come close to their reputation are Cole and Rio, no one else is anywhere near

I would say that the gap in their standing in the game between Gerrard/Lampard and Paul Ince is not big enough to fully explain by itself why the previous two can stroll into three huge premier league jobs and one of  the two biggest jobs in Scotland (and a good sized job in the Championship) while Paul Ince is starting out as player manager at Swindon before moving on to the bright lights at Macclesfield in League Two.

I think you’re doing Paul Ince’s playing career/reputation a slight disservice.

1 minute ago, brummybloke said:

Apparently fat Frank won't make it to 7 games.

Wife's news feed says he's been sacked.. again

Avram Grant to come in? :D 

2 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Apparently fat Frank won't make it to 7 games.

Wife's news feed says he's been sacked.. again

Todd Boehly has read the thread and calling Paul Ince as we speak

• Like 1

Stand down fellow gawpers.

I have clarified what news feed, she only reads the headlines and it wasn't a genuine one.

Serves me right trusting something she half read without checking myself 

🤦🤷🤦

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I would say that the gap in their standing in the game between Gerrard/Lampard and Paul Ince is not big enough to fully explain by itself why the previous two can stroll into three huge premier league jobs and one of  the two biggest jobs in Scotland (and a good sized job in the Championship) while Paul Ince is starting out as player manager at Swindon before moving on to the bright lights at Macclesfield in League Two.

I think you’re doing Paul Ince’s playing career/reputation a slight disservice.

If you were to get the media or fans in general to do a top 100 PL players of all time list do you think paul Ince would be on it?

Do you think Gerrard and Lampard would be in the top 10?

There's a gulf between them

They're walking in to jobs because of their reputation as players, not because of the colour of their skin

49 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

If you were to get the media or fans in general to do a top 100 PL players of all time list do you think paul Ince would be on it?

Do you think Gerrard and Lampard would be in the top 10?

There's a gulf between them

They're walking in to jobs because of their reputation as players, not because of the colour of their skin

I’m sure Gerrard and Lampard would feature and Ince wouldn’t. I’m sure that is based on merit and to a much lesser extent also partly because of recency bias. 

But ok, Ince is nowhere near them in terms of playing status therefore it follows that he wouldn’t repeatedly get offered top jobs in management. I think you’re somewhat undervaluing his career, but fine. Is Paul Ince closer to Mark Hughes’ status?  He’s managing in the lower leagues now, he certainly didn’t start there. He couldn’t move for premier league job offers. 

Edited by Mark Albrighton

23 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’m sure Gerrard and Lampard would feature and Ince wouldn’t. I’m sure that is based on merit and to a much lesser extent also partly because of recency bias. 

But ok, Ince is nowhere near them in terms of playing status therefore it follows that he wouldn’t repeatedly get offered top jobs in management. I think you’re somewhat undervaluing his career, but fine. Is Paul Ince closer to his Mark Hughes’ status?  He’s managing in the lower leagues now, he certainly didn’t start there. He couldn’t move for premier league job offers. 

Or even his teammate Steve Bruce. Pretty similar careers. Were at United for practically the same window of time, and crucially Ince represented and even captained England.

Who remembers Bruno Saltor? Well even the Chelsea fans don't know if he is still employed, he is persona non grata and a taboo subject there atm seemingly. Although his LinkedIn profile still lists him as Chelsea First Team Coach

• Haha 2

Guest av1

Just saw this in the BBC match day comments. 

Something I feel has gone under the radar tonight with how incredible a season Napoli are having is how must Koulibaly be feeling! Talk about regrets!

Could have been a hero Naples and instead he’s playing for a mess in London 🤣

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

Just saw this in the BBC match day comments. 

Something I feel has gone under the radar tonight with how incredible a season Napoli are having is how must Koulibaly be feeling! Talk about regrets!

Could have been a hero Naples and instead he’s playing for a mess in London 🤣

They're better without him. Coincidence?

• Like 1

Â