Snow Watch!

trekka

A highways agency warning said anyone travelling in icy conditions should take a shovel, blankets, sleeping bag, extra clothing, including a scarf, hat, gloves, 24 hour supply of food and drink, de-icer, rock salt, torch, tow rope, petrol can, first aid kit and jump leads.

I looked a right clearing in the woods on the bus this morning.

• Like 2

Still gentle snow in quite a few places I have been today, Aylesbury, Banbury, Birmingham, Nuneaton. It's snowing in Nuneaton as I type this, huge flakes again. But I didn't write this message to give a weather report, I wrote to ask if anybody else thinks it might be more than a coincidence that the snow started at more or less the same time that the virtual snow on VT stopped...

A few years ago I went to Newcastle and there was at least 1ft of snow and I went the whole 3 days that I was there without so much as skidding, got back to brum and got a taxi home from new street station, took one step out of the taxi and done a **** double somersault on the tiniest bit of ice you could wish for.

This weather can **** off now. I've had enough of not being able to walk anywhere without the constant spectre of cracking my head on the pavement.

Invest in a cheap pair of manly work boots. They don't have to be top notch, £20 in a garden centre with Dickies written on the side will do. You can then stride along any snowy slushy compacted icy pavement with gay abandon. Look on in awe as I march from road to gutter to kerb to pavement without a panicy little shuffle or travelator slide step. I am master of the arctic, I am in control of the elements, I laugh at puny mother nature and stick my fingers in her ineffective wintry mouth.

I suspect you are attempting to travel outdoors in inappropriate poncy office / discotheque footwear.

Not snow, but brrr

... WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST THURSDAY...

* LOCATIONS... PORTIONS OF WESTERN AND CENTRAL MASSACHUSETTS... PARTICULARLY THE HIGHER TERRAIN.

* HAZARD TYPES... DANGEROUSLY COLD WIND CHILLS.

* WIND CHILL READINGS... AS LOW AS 17 BELOW.

* TIMING... THE COLDEST TEMPERATURES AND WIND CHILLS WILL OCCUR AFTER MIDNIGHT AND CONTINUE INTO MID MORNING.

* IMPACTS... THERE WILL BE A HEIGHTENED THREAT FOR FROSTBITE OR HYPOTHERMIA FOR THOSE VENTURING OUTSIDE. ANYONE OUTSIDE SHOULD LIMIT AREAS OF EXPOSED SKIN AND DRESS IN LAYERS... AND LIMIT YOUR TIME OUTSIDE.

* WINDS... NORTHWEST 5 TO 10 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES... 4 BELOW TO 11 ABOVE ZERO.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WIND CHILL ADVISORY IS ISSUED WHEN THE WIND CHILL INDEX IS LIKELY TO REACH -15 TO -24 DEGREES FOR AT LEAST 3 HOURS. FROSTBITE CAN DEVELOP IN JUST 30 MINUTES WITH A WIND CHILL INDEX OF -20. IF YOU ARE HEADING OUTDOORS... DRESS IN LAYERS AND WEAR A HAT AND GLOVES.

Right now: 5 Fahrenheit, -6 windchill (that's -15 and -21 in new money, if my math is right)

Sitting outside on my porch in short sleeves waiting for a pizza delivery.

Not snow, but brrrRight now: 5 Fahrenheit, -6 windchill (that's -15 and -21 in new money, if my math is right)

Sitting outside on my porch in short sleeves waiting for a pizza delivery.

gives it a bit of perspective

When I worked in Malta back in the day the locals would complain about their cold winters and in fairness, the temp would on some occassions drop into single figures, centigrade.

I'd show them that back home it was minus 2, 3 or 4 and here's a picture of my nippers' snow man and the answer would be 'ah yes, but its a different kind of cold here'. To which my standard answer was, yes, the not so cold type of cold.

Mind you, I'd get my own back in the summer when it was so hot you'd feel your contact lenses contract as you walked out of buildings. It's hotter than this in Blighty boys!

Forecast to be minus 22 with a minus 30 windchill just before dawn tomorrow... May just try to see how long I can last in the coldest weather I can recall being in.

Though I'm sure the Scandinavians and Canadians are chuckling about this.

Edited by leviramsey

Forecast to be minus 22 with a minus 30 windchill just before dawn tomorrow... May just try to see how long I can last in the coldest weather I can recall being in.

Though I'm sure the Scandinavians and Canadians are chuckling about this.

I've been out in Fraser and Breckenridge, CO, when it's been -48F.  That was **** cold...

Â