Who do you want to replace Capello as England manager?

TRS-T

Who do you want to succeed Capello as England manager?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to succeed Capello as England manager?

• Harry Redknapp
    • Roy Hodgson
    • Alan Pardew
    • Mick McCarthy
    • Steve Bruce
    • Neil Warnock
    • Sam Allardyce
    • Stuart Pearce
    • Alan Curbishley
    • Chris Hughton
    • Ian Holloway
    • Nigel Adkins
    • Tony Mowbray
    • Other English manager
    • A foreign manager

Another good thing about Woy getting the job is that we will see an extremely amusing set of animated gifs in the wake of England's inevitable exit at the group stages this summer.

First thing I thought when I heard this news was Mcleish to WBA :lol:

Would like Hodgson to get the job. I have little interest in the England team and what I do have would disappear completely if Candleface was to be appointed. I like Hodgson, thought he was really harshly treated at Liverpool, especially the way KKK can do no wrong despite a similar if not worse record in the league after spending 120m on dross. If Hodgson had made those signings can you imagine the stick he would have got off Liverpool fans?! Didn't realise he was on such a short contract at WBA though.

If it has to be an English manager Hodgson would do a better job but Redknapp would be able to hold back the eventual fan and media shit storm for longer. Ultimately it doesn't matter because that average at best England side and the average at best players coming through ain't winning nothing so it's down to who most wants to be the pre-retirement punching bag.

The England team contains some of the worst people in football and the prospect of their unpleasant natures being balanced by the decency of a man like Hodgson is infinitely more appealing than the crowning of the cocky barrow boy from the Lane. The appointment of Redknapp would for me be the crowning of the king of the dump although I'd relish the prospect of his downfall within the press.

this is the key points for me. the big name players, hodgeson flopped when he had to manage big name players at liverpool. i can see the likes of terry, lampard and gerrard eating him for breakfast

as much as i dislike the man, candleface is the best option fo the job. doesnt take crap, has a aura about him and will get the respect of the senior players in england unlike hodgson.

poor move in my opinion

i think candleface must have turned them down

Actually Dem I'm not sure I agree with you mate. For a start did Hodgson flop at Liverpool or were their players just not that good any more? Look at how they have performed this season in the league considering the money spent, I'm not sure he did such a terrible job their but his face didn't fit and he had King Kenny lurking in the shadows.

As for Hodgson dealing with big players he didn't have any problems when at Inter, now granted they weren't the same words removed he will have to deal with in the England job but I think he is up to it.

The person who told me back in Jan that Redkanpp was taking over is still standing by it when I sent him a facebook message after the Woy story broke.... His brother does work for the Redknapps and the info came from Jamie himself back then

But the FA statement seemed to suggest it is Woy :confused:

Actually Dem I'm not sure I agree with you mate. For a start did Hodgson flop at Liverpool or were their players just not that good any more?

I personally think it was roys fault. he signed some awful players, konchesky and poulson to name a few. he could not handle the expectation at a big club. he seems to perform better at smaller clubs when the pressure is not as bad fulham and now west brom prove this

Look at how they have performed this season in the league considering the money spent, I'm not sure he did such a terrible job their but his face didn't fit and he had King Kenny lurking in the shadows.

that is again down to dalglish think he is still stuck in the stone age with the type of football they play. but even still potentially two trophies that is a top season even if they finish 8th

As for Hodgson dealing with big players he didn't have any problems when at Inter, now granted they weren't the same words removed he will have to deal with in the England job but I think he is up to it.

i cant comment on his time at inter as i dont actually how he performed there, but like you and i said earlier a host of english players are "word removed" and you need a big personality like candleface. think roy will struggle to be honest

He didn't succeed at Liverpool because he wasn't King Kenny. Firstly this is good because it weakens WBA, secondly he deserves it, hes a good manager and a decent bloke, and thirdly it opens up a McLeish to WBA possibility :lol:

They might regret that banner :)

He didn't succeed at Liverpool because he wasn't King Kenny.

I'm sure he could have done a far better job than he did, he did a poor job, there isn't really too many excuses. He wasn't unfairly slated, he wasn't good enough.

Firstly this is good because it weakens WBA, secondly he deserves it, hes a good manager and a decent bloke, and thirdly it opens up a McLeish to WBA possibility :lol:

They might regret that banner :)

Second bit is probably true, well depending on who they appoint, if it's McLeish then both will be correct. :)

I think Hodgson will be a good appointment, and given the time to craft together a good blend of youth and experience, England could be a force in Brazil.

Good luck, Roy

He didn't succeed at Liverpool because he wasn't King Kenny.

I'm sure he could have done a far better job than he did, he did a poor job, there isn't really too many excuses. He wasn't unfairly slated, he wasn't good enough.

This. He was tepidly received when appointed Liverpool boss but there wasn't any open hostility, the Liverpool fans only started clamouring for his dismissal after a string of poor results. He did poorly at the plop because he signed poor players and didn't get the team playing well, simple as that.

Quite underwhelmed by the appointment tbh, don't think he has it in him to handle the big egos in the England squad. He's never been one to put faith in youth either which is worrying imo.

The men in suits strike again. It reminds me of when everyone wanted Brian Clough and got Ron Greenwood. They go for the man who will make things comfortable for them rather than the one that will shake things (including them) up and be best for England. The fans wishes then and now are ignored. Oh and of course he is the cheap option...

Me neither. He wont cost a huge transfer/compensation fee like Redknapp. He might actually take his backroom staff with him (will Redknapp? Can you see "most Scottish man in the world" Joe Jordan going to work for England?) he has experience at international level and at major tournaments and he is used to working with players who havent exactly set the world on fire.

I'm hoping that the FA are going to take the lesson learned from Capello's reign. England are not going to win anything just because we throw a huge pot of money at whatever manager is the flavour of the month. The problem lies at grass roots level. If you look at the amount of coaches we have compared to other countries the problem is obvious. There are about 3000 UEFA licensed coaches in England, that is one for every 800 registered footballers. In Spain they have 24,000 UEFA qualified coaches. One for every 17 registered players in that country. Why do they produce a seemingly endless stream of amazing players despite having a lot less registered footballers than we do? Probably because the coaching is a lot better. Go around Europe and its the same story, Germany have some 30,000 UEFA licensed coaches, one for every 150 players. Italy have a coach for every 50 players. France and Holland have one for every 100 players. We dont even have an elite academy any more do we? Nice national stadium though.

Sums it up for me nicely.

So basically Spurs are where we were two years ago.

To go OT for a second, the main difference is that Spurs have protected all their key assets with long contracts.

For me, the biggest mistake Randy (Faulkner?) made was that our star players were all signed with the same length of contracts as our journeyman signings. This meant we had to sell the likes of Milner, Young and Downing (Bent probably next) as their contracts were running down and their values were depreciating rapidly as a result. This left the likes of Beye, Cuellar, Heskey, Dunne (et al) all on too big contracts to move on and all playing crap.

Â