Villa Kit 2012-2013

deeps

I share your desire for AVFC to be a global brand and for our shirts to be sold in every corner of the globe. But I live in Leicester and walk into my local JJB and Soccer Sports and can find maybe 4 tucked away home Villa shirts. The fact is, big teams have their shirts in shops because they win games, floating around mid to lower table we won't be a global brand for a very long time.

This may be the case to some extent, however prior to Villa having their kit made by Nike you could not get a Villa shirt in NZ or Australia from a high street store. As soon as Villa kits were by Nike they were found in stores right next to Barcelona, Man United and Arsenal Nike shirts. This had nothing to with winning games and all to do with distribution and sales agreements.

I doubt I will ever see a Villa shirt made by Macron for sale in a high street store in this part of the world.

I live in Dubai where we're not exactly starved of a Nike store or two. I can categorically state that I have never seen a Villa top for sale in any of those stores - or any of the major sports store in the entire UAe in the last 4 years. Nike did Jack Shit for us on a global scale.

In Korea I have never seen a Villa shirt for sale but have seen two Koreans wearing them.

I have however seen an abundance of the Nike warm up jackets which the local Nike store began stocking. Saw a few people wearing them although the majority didn't realise they were anything to do with football :(

however prior to Villa having their kit made by Nike you could not get a Villa shirt in NZ or Australia from a high street store.

Well you could in Melbourne.

Prior to Nike the kit was by Hummel and I quite liked the 04/05 & 05/06 shirts, but I sure couldn't find a Villa shirt in Melbourne, Sydney, or Brisbane at that time, and I was travelling to Australia frequently back then.

Lets make this clear....I am not pro Nike but I am pro a global brand such as Nike, Puma or Adidas because they will get better distribution and therefore Villa's profile will be better.

So out of the 4 recent VT posters (on this page or the last) that live abroad; 3 have rarely, if ever, seen one of our Nike kits in a local shop, whereas 1 has?

I'd rather be Macron's main English club, gaining all their focus, than one of Nike's little clubs that they don't care about.

I've lived in Kent for 20 years now and NEVER seen a Villa kit made by any manufacturer in ANY sport shop, Nike or otherwise.

The arguement that Nike give us bigger "global appeal" is quite simply bollocks. Liverpool, Man Utds global profile is down to the fact that they are the two most succesful teams in the county. Do you wander into JJB and see any Sporting Gijon (HeeHon) kits? No. Why? Because nobody gives a **** about Sporting HeeHon. They care about Real Madrid and Barcalona. Why? Becuase they are the most successful teams in Spain.

So the sad, and seemingly difficult lesson for us to note is..... Nobody in Asia, the Middle East, Antartica or anywhere else gives a **** about Aston Villa. (apart from the collection of global miss fits and perverts that grace Villa Talk of course - and FWIW I love each and everyone of you.)

I've lived in Kent for 20 years now and NEVER seen a Villa kit made by any manufacturer in ANY sport shop, Nike or otherwise.
Same here. What annoys me though is that I've often seen Newcastle shirts down here! In fact, I've known a fair few people who support Newcastle down here. Why are they so popular?

The arguement that Nike give us bigger "global appeal" is quite simply bollocks. Liverpool, Man Utds global profile is down to the fact that they are the two most succesful teams in the county. Do you wander into JJB and see any Sporting Gijon (HeeHon) kits? No. Why? Because nobody gives a **** about Sporting HeeHon. They care about Real Madrid and Barcalona. Why? Becuase they are the most successful teams in Spain.

So the sad, and seemingly difficult lesson for us to note is..... Nobody in Asia, the Middle East, Antartica or anywhere else gives a **** about Aston Villa. (apart from the collection of global miss fits and perverts that grace Villa Talk of course - and FWIW I love each and everyone of you.)

Exactly. Shops of any kind don't stock items in the hope that they'll give those products more exposure, they stock them because they believe the products will sell. Regardless of who makes our kit, if any sports store across the globe believes they are going to make a profit by selling our kit, they'll stock it.

Truth is however, apart from a few expats, no one gives a hoot about our beloved team. If we started to play well, entertain and win things then that would quickly change. With our current setup however, the kits could be made by Hugo Boss and cost a tenner and it still wouldn't be popular. You're lucky to find a stockist outside of the West Midlands, let alone in Asia or the Middle East.

Â