Carlos Cuellar - Released

R.Bear

Better than Dunne and Collins. First class attitude and all round good guy. Seems to genuinely love the club which is all too rare these days. Good luck to Carlos whatever he decides to do!

will be shown up in Spanish league, never the great defender for me that he is billed up to be. better at right back than centre defence

He was decent enough for Osasuna.

Year before he left for Rangers, they reached the semi finals of the europa league and think they also finished in the top 4 one season.

moved to CA Osasuna in the top level. He became an important part of the Javier Aguirre side that reached the Copa del Rey final in 2005 and finished fourth in the league in the following season, thus qualifying for the UEFA Champions League.

As Osasuna "dropped" to the UEFA Cup Cuéllar, by then not an automatic first-choice in the league, played seven times in European competition, as the Navarrese reached the semifinals. He scored twice, notably in the 3–0 win at the BayArena against Bayer 04 Leverkusen in April 2007, which was the fastest goal of the tournament that season.[2]

Hope for his sake that he leaves in the summer, he deserves better.

Decent defender and a nice guy but too expensive to be used as a squad player if we're looking to cut cost.

Rather have him i the team than Collins or Dunne thou...

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.futbolprimera.es/2012/04/06/entrevista-carlos-cuellar-daria-lo-que-me-pidiesen-por-ser-internacional-con-espana

Can only comment on new contract (lack thereof) because this interview is now on the web. Quick summary, because I don't feel like translating it all:

Basically he said he's probably gone come the summer because there hasn't been an offer put forward by Villa and doesn't see one coming. Also mentioned he'd do ANYTHING to play for La Roja once, his bff at Villa are Heskey, Gabby, Fabian and Petrov...etc.

Carlos, when he receives an offer from another club (he hasn't had any official offer yet, just prelim contact through his agent Pedro) he'll give Villa the chance to match it. He'd really like to stay and wouldn't demand any more $ than what he's on now, but it seems very unlikely now. :(

it'll be an absolute shambles if we don't offer carlos a new deal. he's the best of our 3 senior centre backs, and i assume he's on less money than either of the others too

it'll be an absolute shambles if we don't offer carlos a new deal. he's the best of our 3 senior centre backs, and i assume he's on less money than either of the others too

he is on less than collins and dunne.

I don't think CC is the best player in the world, but I think he's a very good defender. One Villa should keep, even for back up. If Villa think they can get a better defender, on the cheap, and pay peanuts in wages, then I'm afraid Championship football seems inevitable. The term: Pay peanuts, get monkeys has never seemed more appropriate. This is yet another mistake from Villa in letting him go.

I think the fact we could go down is going to stop any new contract offers ..

However we have Carlos out of contract and interest in the other first team CB who only have a year on their contracts so I would love to know exactly what the hell the long term plan is

he is on less than collins and dunne.

for that reason alone (although there are many others), he should be the one we want to keep. ship off collins instead and we'll be stronger and have less spent on wages than keeping collins and letting carlos go

we wont even get a transfer fee for cuellar, while we might get a couple of million for collins

it's baffling

I don't think Carlos wants to stay here so offering him a new contract is pointless. i think he wants out which seems to be a popular theme at the moment

I don't think Carlos wants to stay here so offering him a new contract is pointless. i think he wants out which seems to be a popular theme at the moment

I take it you haven't read Yankee In Madrid's posts? (he's almost as ITK re CC as CC himself!)

I think due to the current position the club are in (relegation possibles) no senior player out of contract will be offered a new deal.

Who knows, pick up a few more points (others below don't) and we scrape survival - maybe then, contracts will be discussed.

It's a shame for CC, as I'd love to have him here for a few more seasons but for once, the club have this right IMO (until we're safe that is!)

I take it you haven't read Yankee In Madrid's posts? (he's almost as ITK re CC as CC himself!)

I think due to the current position the club are in (relegation possibles) no senior player out of contract will be offered a new deal.

Who knows, pick up a few more points (others below don't) and we scrape survival - maybe then, contracts will be discussed.

It's a shame for CC, as I'd love to have him here for a few more seasons but for once, the club have this right IMO (until we're safe that is!)

i think he will go back to Spain. i can't see him wanting to stay. if gabby is thinking about leaving it would amaze me if others aren't having the same thought

It certainly makes sense to offer him a new deal.

A) As he's a pretty good CB.

B) He can also play the full back positions which Dunne and Collins certainly can't.

In a smallish squad and when you're trimming the wage bill, having a player who can play in more than one position well is pretty important I'd say.

Â