Things you've never 'got'...

wiggyrichard

Even though I agree with you, what's the difference?

Just like any form of art, there's stuff you like and stuff you don't.

But the feeling I got was that Mike wanted to hurt the people who did the second picture because they'd graffiti'd, rather than because he didn't like it.

As in, "it's ok to graffiti as long as I like it".

As I said, I actually have the same view, I was just provoking discussion

Even though I agree with you, what's the difference?

Just like any form of art, there's stuff you like and stuff you don't.

But the feeling I got was that Mike wanted to hurt the people who did the second picture because they'd graffiti'd, rather than because he didn't like it.

As in, "it's ok to graffiti as long as I like it".

As I said, I actually have the same view, I was just provoking discussion

Yeah that's basically it (one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter).

The first type is at least amusing, thought-provoking, and reasonably decorative. It adds something to a blank space.

The second type is basically saying nothing beyond: "ME! ME! ME! I'm doing this BECAUSE I CAN! And **** YOU!" It is - in my opinion - worthless and ugly.

I used to love the Deschanel, but then she became too aware of her own popularity and has vanished up her own bottom, she has now become very annoying and tries to sing in everything she does because she is desperate to make people aware that she is in a band away from her acting.

Still would though.

The Fall.
Fully understandable, most people seem not to. I love 'em, mind. And the fact that so many people don't get them allows people who do to feel (incorrectly) superior to everyone else.

Banksy did a new piece in Liverpool the other week and some bastard sprayed graffiti over it

That wasn't some bastard, it was King Robbo.

The graffiti war between Banksy and Robbo goes back a long long time, and Banksy started it by painting over Robbo's stuff long before Robbo touched Banksy's. Banksy painted over one of the longest standing pieces (iirc it was 20+ years old) of Robbo's on camden bridge.

Add that to the fact that Banksy outright disrespected Robbo when he first met him (claiming he'd "never heard of him" when he was one of the biggest names in the scene at the time and Banksy was a no one) and it's not just a tag sprayed on a wall.

Banksy did a new piece in Liverpool the other week and some bastard sprayed graffiti over it

The graffiti war between Banksy and Robbo goes back a long long time, and Banksy started it by painting over Robbo's stuff long before Robbo touched Banksy's. Banksy painted over one of the longest standing pieces (iirc it was 20+ years old) of Robbo's on camden bridge.

Add that to the fact that Banksy outright disrespected Robbo when he first met him (claiming he'd "never heard of him" when he was one of the biggest names in the scene at the time and Banksy was a no one) and it's not just a tag sprayed on a wall.

I know all that but word on da street is that it wasn't King Robbo himself just one of his followers

I thought his alteration to King Robbo's work was funny tbh

Banksy415.jpg

So there are actually 2 attention seeking clearings in the woods?

To be fair to Banksy he improved the mess the first bloke made. He's still a clearing in the woods though.

Zooey Deschanel. Obviously wouldn't say no but the way people swoon over her like she is the hottest thing to grace the galaxy is a bit ridiculous. I think she tries a bit too hard to be kooky and I can think of a lot of women I'd rank above her.

have to agree she isnt that great

Banksy - in fact "Street Art" in general.

Isn't it just graffiti? Make the scrote paint over it is what I say......

Hmmmm... dunno.

See, I quite like stuff like THIS:

article-1024884-0185F25600000578-477_468x420.jpg

Whereas stuff like THIS makes me want to give the culprits a good kicking:

graffiti+street+art+1.jpg

Just to give it all a bit of balance, I think the 2nd type is a lot better and harder to do than the Banksy stuff, I don't rate it. So what, he makes a template from some bird in a upstairs / downstairs type thing and sprays it *shrugs*. The second one is far more skillful and difficult to do, looks easy but try it, even in pencil.

Hmmmm... dunno.

Just to give it all a bit of balance, I think the 2nd type is a lot better and harder to do than the Banksy stuff, I don't rate it. So what, he makes a template from some bird in a upstairs / downstairs type thing and sprays it *shrugs*. The second one is far more skillful and difficult to do, looks easy but try it, even in pencil.

Maybe harder to do, but it looks like shite.

Hmmmm... dunno.

:lol:

Agreed.

Laughing

Agreed.

Well it's a good job we disagree, rubbish if we all like the same stuff.

Tbh the graffiti picture was obviously chosen as the worst example that could possibly be found but hardly anyone sees the art in in the bottom one. I will find a good one

:D

Anyway, Elvis Presley. Don't get it. I can see his importance, sort of, but still I just don't see how he became so popular.
Yep. I invariably bring up Elvis in the "overrated" threads.

One good initial year (1954/55), where he was genuinely innovative, exciting and dangerous. Followed by decades of cheesy pap that was always behind the times. Didn't write his own material, didn't play an instrument beyond a rudimentary level, had no original ideas beyond what his manager told him, joined the army, made atrocious films, played Vegas, supported Nixon. How is any of THAT "rock'n'roll"?

Also, as someone who grew up in the long hair generation, I always found his Brylcreem quiff image rather repulsive.

Â