Things you've never 'got'...

wiggyrichard

On pets, although I'm not really a "doggy" or "horsey" person, I DO understand why people like dogs and horses. And I ALMOST understand why some people don't like cats (even though I think they're ace).

What I really DON'T get is people who keep non-mammal pets - reptiles, fish, spiders, etc. Pets should at least be a BIT cuddly and emotionally interactive!

They are perverts!

Ha ha, brilliant. Proper made me laugh that did.

No, because they are ....or anything like that.

Just "They are perverts!"

:D

I agree on the kids thing, as I've said before now.

On the non-cuddly pets, I dunno. I like dogs, dislike cats (a feeling that is mutual it appears), hate horses. I'd like to keep more exotic animals, I love reptiles and amphibians (I aim to own one of some type eventually). I find them interesting, and I suppose because they're a bit more high maintenance than a dog they become more of a hobby than a pet per se.

I never got spiders however. My cousin kept tarantulas until he had kids, and went through other odd animals too - he once swapped some of his spiders for some scorpions, which in turn got swapped for (rather more likable) geckos. One of his tarantulas escaped once, never did find it.

Asberger's, and I Claim My Five Pounds.

I think you'll find it's Asperger's, Mike ;)

Is it? Never realised. Thank you. :thumb:

And to think, you're in the top 2%... what the hell is Chindie?! :shock:

;)

The 99% will take care of Chindie

(sorry Neil, the role of reasonably-prolific poster with Asperger's from outside the UK has already been cast, though you're welcome to be the understudy)

((note the space))

Make that a trillion. Talentless noise is a bit harsh, more yer bog standard pub band I'd say. I was mildly impressed by "Smells Like..." when it came out, so I bought the album - to discover it was the only half decent track on it. I've heard their other albums, same reaction. Very average stodge.

The Nirvana unplugged album is fantastic. I kind of understand the comment on their other albums - for me they're a mix of excellent and very ordinary filler, like you get from a lot of bands starting out.

What about the other grunge-bands? The Pearl Jam/Soundgarden/Alice in chains - type? For the record, I find those bands far superior in every way to Nirvana, but Nirvana where the ones who broke down the mainstream wall so to speak. And in the days pre internet it was an important factor in getting out to the masses.

What about the other grunge-bands? The Pearl Jam/Soundgarden/Alice in chains - type? For the record, I find those bands far superior in every way to Nirvana, but Nirvana where the ones who broke down the mainstream wall so to speak. And in the days pre internet it was an important factor in getting out to the masses.
My reaction to Pearl Jam was identical to Nirvana - heard one pretty good track, bought the album, was massively disappointed.

Pretty much ignored grunge after that. A genre deeply lacking in ideas and imagination.

My reaction to Pearl Jam was identical to Nirvana - heard one pretty good track, bought the album, was massively disappointed.

I take it the album was Ten? And I'd say it's one of my favourite albums. Taste is a mystery thing indeed.

I take it the album was Ten? And I'd say it's one of my favourite albums. Taste is a mystery thing indeed.

It was Ten, yes.

And this wasn't like - say - hip-hop, i.e. a genre I was always going to hate from the start. It was guitar-based rock, very much the sort of thing I would have expected to enjoy. But it just sounded to me as if they had listened to bands like The Who and the Stones, but simply couldn't do it as well.

Unfortunately, by that period, The Who and the Stones couldn't do it any more either, so my interest in rock slowly began to wane.

Nowadays, I'd say that 75% of my listening pleasure comes from classical or jazz, the other 25% being old pop/rock/soul/blues/country/folk, etc.

Pretty much ignored grunge after that. A genre deeply lacking in ideas and imagination.

AIC can be hard to get into, though Mike might find the Jar of Flies acoustic-dominated EP to be more up his alley:

(Unplugged: the "Friends don't let friends get haircuts" scrawled on Jerry Cantrell's guitar is a dig at Metallica (the members of whom were in the audience), who had recently cut their hair for the Load album)

I Stay Away

Don't Follow

Of another album:

Heaven Beside You

Some non-acoustic tracks

Again

Singer Layne Staley would join members of Pearl Jam and fellow Seattle band Screaming Trees to form Mad Season, known for River of Deceit and I Don't Know Anything

Soundgarden is what Black Sabbath would sound like if they were fronted by Robert Plant (that's a compliment, btw).

Outshined

Rusty Cage (Johnny Cash's cover)

The Day I Tried to Live

Superunknown

Tbf, I still consider Stone Temple Pilots to be the best of the 90s bands.

Â