Things you've never 'got'...

wiggyrichard

I did read once that Ryanair were considering having standing space to try and squeeze more people on their flights. Not sure if they were allowed to do it though.
That was a Ryan publicity spoof.

But how anybody could ever read a score and just play it, in real time, like reading a book, is completely staggering to me. It just seems utterly impossible.

slightly related but my mates son can hear a piece of music and within a few minutes of trial and error on his keyboard play it ...he's 11 years old nobody else in his family has any musical ability though apparently he has a great grandmother that used to have the same skill

to a non musical person like me it's border-lining on witchcraft ...

See, I can sort of understand that.

Because I could never sight read, my ability to pick up songs and play by ear is pretty good. With a guitar that just means working out chords, and I can generally do it pretty easily with the average pop/folk song. Not being a pianist, it impresses me that people can do it on piano, but it still seems less amazing than being able to read those dots and play them instantly.

Whereas my missus - who used to play violin a bit - thinks it's easy; she can only "play the dots", and can't understand how I (or anyone) can play by ear. We used to occasionally play music together - and we could only play songs that (a) I was already familiar with, AND (B) we had the sheet music for as well.

The ideal would be to be able to do both, but it would seem that most (amateur) musicians can only do one or the other.

Not aimed at you Mike, it's just that your avatar made me think. Running, ive never seen whats so enjoyable about it? Do you do it just for the fitness or do you actually enjoying going for a run?
Very much both. And the running club for competitive sport and socials. Love it.

Not aimed at you Mike, it's just that your avatar made me think. Running, ive never seen whats so enjoyable about it? Do you do it just for the fitness or do you actually enjoying going for a run?
Very much both. And the running club for competitive sport and socials. Love it.

I fully understand the social side & competative aspect, it's the same with my golf club. I would much rather play golf in a competition than just a friendly knock with the lads, the fact that your competing against others and could win something, be it a trophy, name on board in the club house or money to spend in the pro-shop, it all makes you try and concentrate that little bit more. I assume its the same with your running, i just dont see how people can find just going for a run (not competing) enjoyable?

I fully understand the social side & competative aspect, it's the same with my golf club. I would much rather play golf in a competition than just a friendly knock with the lads, the fact that your competing against others and could win something, be it a trophy, name on board in the club house or money to spend in the pro-shop, it all makes you try and concentrate that little bit more. I assume its the same with your running, i just dont see how people can find just going for a run (not competing) enjoyable?

Once get over the initial fitness barrier, it's great. Especially if you can get off road, out in the fresh air. Clears the mind and gives the body an endorphin buzz.

OK, it isn't always like that - there are some days when I have to force myself out for a training run. But I rarely regret it once I do.

And like Shillzz says - it's great for mental well-being, too.

I am the same with swimming...got back in to it last autumn after 20 years + away....was bolloxed after 6 lengths to start with but now if I dont do at least 40 (1km), then I feel I have cheated myself. Did 100 lengths just before xmas and like the other lads said, I feel really good "upstairs", to the point of being a bit smug as I drive home from the pool.

Gambling.

This. Just don't get the appeal.

Also love running, or used too. Good for mind body and soul - haven't done it for a few years now though, so I'm terribly unfit.

Musicals and Opera, I don't like them - but to qualify that, I also don't get the appeal they have to some. Not liking and not getting are pretty much the same thing most of the time.

I gamble, because I feed a delusion inside my brain that this will be productive than getting a part time job to sustain my studies. The idea I could earn enough to keep me afloat after a few hours one evening as opposed to wasting a full 20 odd hours of physical labour, thus giving me more time to study is appealing. Indeed I won, $15.75 the other night, only another $3000 to go and I'll be able to concentrate on my dissertation in the summer stress free!

I am probably addicted a smidge. I have bet on times of goals in unheard of world leagues because they happen to be on at 11pm at night and I wonder if I can make a cheeky tenner here and there.

wouldn't recommend it. I would prefer "being rich already" as an alternative, but that's not happening. I don't like that essentially I am displaying the same attitude as arseholes in the financial sector who want just a little bit more, but I hold onto the fact, im doing it order to pay rent as opposed to needing a 5th holiday on pluto as a more acceptable justification.

I gamble, because I feed a delusion inside my brain that this will be productive than getting a part time job to sustain my studies. The idea I could earn enough to keep me afloat after a few hours one evening as opposed to wasting a full 20 odd hours of physical labour, thus giving me more time to study is appealing. Indeed I won, $15.75 the other night, only another $3000 to go and I'll be able to concentrate on my dissertation in the summer stress free!

I am probably addicted a smidge. I have bet on times of goals in unheard of world leagues because they happen to be on at 11pm at night and I wonder if I can make a cheeky tenner here and there.

wouldn't recommend it. I would prefer "being rich already" as an alternative, but that's not happening. I don't like that essentially I am displaying the same attitude as arseholes in the financial sector who want just a little bit more, but I hold onto the fact, im doing it order to pay rent as opposed to needing a 5th holiday on pluto as a more acceptable justification.

Difference is the "arseholes in the financial sector" do it with other peoples money and get paid win or lose.

You will always lose. You need to stop. Now. It is impossible to make a living out of gambling unless you're a bookie. You will end up ****. Trust me, I've been there and that way madness lies.

You need to stop, and get help.

i probably spend £20 a month on scratchcards and another £20 on the lottery but thats about it for gambling

ive given up on accumulators cos they look great on paper but after 3 years and never winning (10 teams, £1 to get a £1500 return? i dont know where i was going wrong!) i got fed up

fruit machines to me seem the epitome of pointlessness

Â