Martin O'Neill

maqroll

uot;]Basically Sunderland are the new Villa and we're the new Birmingham. Randy has made us this way. He should be forced out.
Wouldn't go that far. Unless Ellis Short has a couple of hundred million to burn I can't see them challenging for 4th or even the top 6.

You think it will take a couple of hundred million? he had a net spend with us at around 70 mill. Since he left we also made a tidy profit of 30 mill+ on three of his signings.

I don't see him having too much to spend at Sunderland. I see him getting them top 8 next season and that for them will be relative success.

He proved at Leicester when he had relatively **** all to spend he could work on a shoestring budget and he brought what was for them great success with a promotion, 4 top 10 finishes and two league cup wins.

Don't forget the wages! We had the highest wages to turnover in the league and its been similar at every club MON has been at. Mainly because English players earn a lot more than foreign imports.

You wanted a manger to give you an instant bounce you couldn't pick better than O'Neill.

We agree on something.

If your club is down and needs galvanising, then there is no better man than O'Neill. Gear up for a shelf life of 3 years, don't let him go too mad with the spending, so there is something left for those who follow, and don't let him anywhere near contract negotiations.

After three years, when your club is rejuvenated, move him out and get a football manager in.

But if you go the fourth year, woe betide you.......

Yes thankfully O'Neill wasn't here for a fourth season. We would be in relegation battles and playing shit football every weekend...oh wait

Only the latter, eh?

Ah I really don't care now. I still don't like him for the way he left us but for me his football wasn't poor.

uot;]Basically Sunderland are the new Villa and we're the new Birmingham. Randy has made us this way. He should be forced out.
Wouldn't go that far. Unless Ellis Short has a couple of hundred million to burn I can't see them challenging for 4th or even the top 6.

You think it will take a couple of hundred million? he had a net spend with us at around 70 mill. Since he left we also made a tidy profit of 30 mill+ on three of his signings.

I don't see him having too much to spend at Sunderland. I see him getting them top 8 next season and that for them will be relative success.

He proved at Leicester when he had relatively **** all to spend he could work on a shoestring budget and he brought what was for them great success with a promotion, 4 top 10 finishes and two league cup wins.

Don't forget the wages! We had the highest wages to turnover in the league and its been similar at every club MON has been at. Mainly because English players earn a lot more than foreign imports.

That may well be the case. If you want top 6 or even top 4 football you are going to have to pay and that therefore at the moment will require Lerner to increase revenue.

Its interesting to note though that the money we paid in wages reaped around the right rewards and for two seasons we over achieved in that respect.

In 07/08 - 8th highest wages, finished 6th.

In 08/09 - 8th highest wages, finished 6th.

In 09/10 - 6th highest wages, finished 6th.

That may well be the case. If you want top 6 or even top 4 football you are going to have to pay and that therefore at the moment will require Lerner to increase revenue.

Its interesting to note though that the money we paid in wages reaped around the right rewards and for two seasons we over achieved in that respect.

In 07/08 - 8th highest wages, finished 6th.

In 08/09 - 8th highest wages, finished 6th.

In 09/10 - 6th highest wages, finished 6th.

That is very true but now we are facing the consequences as we simply couldn't afford it. Will he be allowed the same freedom at Sunderland I very much doubt it. So although I agree with you that he will get them top 8 as that is what he does very well, I also agree with Mantis that he would require not a couple of hundred million but over hundred million even to challenge the top six. This is because he has a certain type of management style, which is signing players based inside the UK who will always want more money because they are proven and the fact that wages in England are incredibly high.

If O'Neill was ever to get them to challenge the top 6 on a budget, he'd have to go where he is uncomfortable and pick out a few foreign players who are happy to come on low wages just so they can prove themselves. For instance, although Modric came for a massive fee, he earnt only 25k for a couple of seasons.

Another problem he had with us was that because players were on massive wages, when their contracts ran down we couldn't afford to give them a new contract as they were on too much already.

I find it very strange tbh, as despite his reluctance to go abroad some of his best ever players weren't from the UK such as Larsson, Valgaeran, Petrov, Carew(when on form), Laursen and right now Sessegnon is on fire for Sunderland.

I did say his football his bad but I still believe he is better. It's not like MON's teams play good football either is it?

Compared to Stoke, they play like Barcelona.

I don't see how he's better myself, at the very worst, I may be able to see why people would put him in the same bracket. O'Neill has done what Pulis has done and more.

Pulis has been sacked at Portsmouth. Britstol City fans hated him and wanted him out. He was sacked in his first spell at Stoke and brought Plymouth to 14th, before bringing Stoke into the Premiership and keeping them up, with the most negative football witnessed in years.

Then you have O'Neills honours:

Football conference with Wycombe

FA Trophy

Leicester

2 cups, promoted via play offs

Throw in Celtic and its clear MON is miles ahead and always will be of Pulis. If you search their games won ratio at all clubs MON blows him out of the water, and its ridiculously absurd to even think Pulis is better, but heh, thats your opinion, you're about the only one that thinks that, other than a few Stoke fans perhaps.

MON is undeniably a good manager.

PPl can nitpick all they want and yes he had some faults with us but he is undeniably a good manager.

Sunderland fans must be well chuffed. Theyve got lot of injuries and pretty crap squad and already won 4 out of 6 and are above us in league already.

MON will haunt this Villa board - lets face it - they **** up bigtime- especially if Parker during Milner thing is true.

Meanwhile we have McLeish won 5 in 20 ...bah...its like a bad dream.

I don't think Pulis is world class or anything, I just really don't rate O'Neill.

But it's just bizzare why not. He has been successful everywhere he's gone, he was successful at Villa, itt's not luck, he's a good manager. How can you not rate him? He has flaws like every manager but he gets results everywhere he goes.

His record is there to look at?

:?

21st April is going to be an interesting day, when MON bringshis Sunderland side to Villa Park.

Particularly if (as I am beginning to anticipate) we are still needing points to secure our Premier League place.

I think we will be OK concerning relegation even under incompetent McLeish.

Dread the game still tho.

I don't think Pulis is world class or anything, I just really don't rate O'Neill.

But it's just bizzare why not. He has been successful everywhere he's gone, he was successful at Villa, itt's not luck, he's a good manager. How can you not rate him? He has flaws like every manager but he gets results everywhere he goes.

His record is there to look at?

:?

You don't understand why he doesn't rate MON?

How about the fact he's left us with a terrible squad. I mean look at it. It's rotten to the core. The players he bought in were signed for massive wages (Randy is to blame for that as well) and were overpriced. Then later on they were sold for peanuts, if that. What about their horrible attitude as well. Thinking they're better than they are when in reality they would look out of place in a pub team. He's wasted alot of money basically.

He's a good manager. Let's not kid ourselves. I would take him back right now over the current manager. But overall he hasn't adapted to the modern game so he's extremely limited.

I would also like to know as well why you thought he was successful here. Top 6 back then wasn't anything to brag about. Moyes managed to finish above him twice with a shoestring budget comparison to the millions MON spent and wasn't far off when he did finish below him in the final season under here. Since his depature, the top 6 has gotten stronger when it's become the new top 4 back in the days. And finally, what on earth did he win? Nothing.

He wasn't successful here and the fact you think that is actually painful to see. He failed to reach the Champions League or win any worthwhile silverware. Oh wow, he got 2 wembley trips that he lost in and Europa spots that he couldn't be arsed with after wasting millions of reaching there. Like I said, painful to see.

Â