Martin O'Neill

maqroll

Just had a look on a Sunderland forum to see how they're liking O'Neill and wow they are hateful bastards.

I've counted at least FOUR topics devoted to us of all times "I'd love to finish above Villa" and this and that.

"Bent this". There must be a new topic on him and us every single day.

Sad words removed. Rather than enjoying their good run, they resort to that. Shit club, shit history. End of.

They really are bitter words removed.

Yet now St Martin is there, Sunderland are quite well liked on here. Seems like they're VTs second team right now. :|

I think it was Richard who said MON to Sunderland is a nightmare appointment for Randy Lerner.

Looks to be spot on.

The higher they rise and the further we drop certainly makes Randys managerial appointments post O'Neill look very, very poor to say the least.

You wanted a manger to give you an instant bounce you couldn't pick better than O'Neill.

We agree on something.

If your club is down and needs galvanising, then there is no better man than O'Neill. Gear up for a shelf life of 3 years, don't let him go too mad with the spending, so there is something left for those who follow, and don't let him anywhere near contract negotiations.

After three years, when your club is rejuvenated, move him out and get a football manager in.

But if you go the fourth year, woe betide you.......

A good manager is the most important appointment at any club

I do not know why Lerner and co do not realise this.

To be below Sunderland ALREADY is frankly utterly embarrasing and their should be plenty of very red faces at our club.

Dreaded this rather predictably happening.

But even i didn't think he'd have them above us as soon as the 3rd of January!!

FFS

You wanted a manger to give you an instant bounce you couldn't pick better than O'Neill.

We agree on something.

If your club is down and needs galvanising, then there is no better man than O'Neill. Gear up for a shelf life of 3 years, don't let him go too mad with the spending, so there is something left for those who follow, and don't let him anywhere near contract negotiations.

After three years, when your club is rejuvenated, move him out and get a football manager in.

Yes thankfully O'Neill wasn't here for a fourth season. We would be in relegation battles and playing shit football every weekend...oh wait

A good manager is the most important appointment at any club

I do not know why Lerner and co do not realise this.

To be below Sunderland ALREADY is frankly utterly embarrasing and their should be plenty of very red faces at our club.

Dreaded this rather predictably happening.

But even i didn't think he'd have them above us as soon as the 3rd of January!!

FFS

Presumably that is purely because of how brilliant MON is, as opposed to how bad AM is?

After all, I don't know any Villa fan who expected more than 4 points out of Stoke and Chelsea away and Swansea at home, so Sunderland's fabulous onslaught on the summit of the PL must be what has caught you unawares.

We agree on something.

Yes thankfully O'Neill wasn't here for a fourth season. We would be in relegation battles and playing shit football every weekend...oh wait

Only the latter, eh?

Does anyone think they'll beat us at B6 in April, and if they do will it be of any significance ?

Of course they will. Like I said, MON is better than McLeish in every department. Make sure to sharpen those pitchforks.

Does anyone think they'll beat us at B6 in April, and if they do will it be of any significance ?

I think that a few are hoping, and will look forward to telling us he significance on here. :winkold:

Maybe our clueless, crap yank owner will come over and have a root beer with their football savvy, astute businessman yank owner :twisted:

Yet now St Martin is there, Sunderland are quite well liked on here. Seems like they're VTs second team right now. :|

Really? I don't get that impression at all.

People have been heaping praise upon Sunderland ever since he became their manager. You can tell people are pleased when Sunderland win.

Basically Sunderland are the new Villa and we're the new Birmingham. Randy has made us this way. He should be forced out.
Wouldn't go that far. Unless Ellis Short has a couple of hundred million to burn I can't see them challenging for 4th or even the top 6.

We are indeed the new Birmingham though which is **** depressing.

We agree on something.

Only the latter, eh?

We could all spend days arguing the toss over what we class as good football and never agree. What you class as good football is all down to personal taste I guess. Whilst one fan will appreciate a slow build up passing game another might prefer a team that soaks up a bit of pressure and catches teams on the break with fast attacking and wing play.

What cannot be denied is that we had season on season improvement for 4 years, 3 top 6 finishes on the spin for the first time since the 1930's, and in his final season his FOURTH SEASON, we achieved our highest ever points total in a 38 game season and two Wembley appearances. Built on scoring a shit loads of goals in 07/08 and on a solid defence in 09/10. Now I am not claiming that to be glorious success far from it but its the most successful period we have had this century and I suspect that will remain the case for many years to come.

It really is a shame that the shit served up over the last 18 months as arguably made O'Neills reign look in relative terms better than it should be. I long for the days when that is no longer the case.

uot;]Basically Sunderland are the new Villa and we're the new Birmingham. Randy has made us this way. He should be forced out.
Wouldn't go that far. Unless Ellis Short has a couple of hundred million to burn I can't see them challenging for 4th or even the top 6.

You think it will take a couple of hundred million? he had a net spend with us at around 70 mill. Since he left we also made a tidy profit of 30 mill+ on three of his signings.

I don't see him having too much to spend at Sunderland. I see him getting them top 8 next season and that for them will be relative success.

He proved at Leicester when he had relatively **** all to spend he could work on a shoestring budget and he brought what was for them great success with a promotion, 4 top 10 finishes and two league cup wins.

We could all spend days arguing the toss over what we class as good football and never agree. What you class as good football is all down to personal taste I guess. Whilst one fan will appreciate a slow build up passing game another might prefer a team that soaks up a bit of pressure and catches teams on the break with fast attacking and wing play.

What cannot be denied is that we had season on season improvement for 4 years, 3 top 6 finishes on the spin for the first time since the 1930's, and in his final season his FOURTH SEASON, we achieved our highest ever points total in a 38 game season and two Wembley appearances. Built on scoring a shit loads of goals in 07/08 and on a solid defence in 09/10. Now I am not claiming that to be glorious success far from it but its the most successful period we have had this century and I suspect that will remain the case for many years to come.

It really is a shame that the shit served up over the last 18 months as arguably made O'Neills reign look in relative terms better than it should be. I long for the days when that is no longer the case.

It's all 'what if?'

I wanted O'Neill to leave after season 3 (not be sacked, as someone stated the other day.) At that time we had some top players, still a bit of money around, and were an attractive proposition for a quality manager. Had the change occurred then we may have pushed on for the CL spot, and be in a lot better shape now.

C'est La vie!

It's all 'what if?'

I wanted O'Neill to leave after season 3 (not be sacked, as someone stated the other day.) At that time we had some top players, still a bit of money around, and were an attractive proposition for a quality manager. Had the change occurred then we may have pushed on for the CL spot, and be in a lot better shape now.

C'est La vie!

We are where we are though. Trouble is since O'Neill left this club as a whole has spent far too long feeling sorry for itself and blaming those who have left, and can do **** all about what is happening, for our failings.

It has long since passed that we dusted ourselves down and came again determined to better what we have done in our recent past. Instead we continue to wallow in self pity and now seem content just to be in the Premiership. Its simply not good enough

uot;]Basically Sunderland are the new Villa and we're the new Birmingham. Randy has made us this way. He should be forced out.

You think it will take a couple of hundred million? he had a net spend with us at around 70 mill. Since he left we also made a tidy profit of 30 mill+ on three of his signings.

I don't see him having too much to spend at Sunderland. I see him getting them top 8 next season and that for them will be relative success.

He proved at Leicester when he had relatively **** all to spend he could work on a shoestring budget and he brought what was for them great success with a promotion, 4 top 10 finishes and two league cup wins.

Yes. £70m is a lot of money and since he's left it requires even more to be challenging for those kind of places.

Really can't see Sunderland finishing top 8 next season. Everton and Newcastle should finish above them and so will we if we have a half decent manager at the helm. Stoke could also finish above them too. Pulis is a much better manager. I really don't like his style of play but he's unfortunately doing an excellent job with Stoke.

Â